Giants to pick #2 in 2018 NFL Draft

Acgott

9 hours ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

Barkley lessens the need for O-Line talent. And I don't really get your "hard to live up to the hype" reasoning. Couldn't you say the same about Luck?

No not really, he doesn’t because he is an AP guy through the tackles. Hes not the LeVeon Bell patience. 

Luck plays a position that already bring pressures, we’re giving Barkley the pressures as if he were a QB.

9 hours ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

Other than Luck, there's no such thing as a surefire Big Ben/Matt Ryan in the NFL draft. This is how the Browns have operated since 2000...turn down every guy waiting for Prince Charming and you end up an old spinster.

It’s not about surefire, it’s projection. Just like the same way in which you expect/hope any player drafted in the top 10 or 15 to be a pro bowler. I’m saying being merely a borderline top 10 QB is not enough to be picked #2 in light of all the other pressing issues on this team

Welp, the Browns just traded #65 for Tyrod. Strange move. Can't imagine they want him to be their guy, so they're likely just bringing him in to be a bridge starter. But I can't see why they would spend pick #65 for that.

Do you guys think this impacts what they do with 1.1 and 1.4? If so, how?

2 hours ago, w4rrior723 said:

Welp, the Browns just traded #65 for Tyrod. Strange move. Can't imagine they want him to be their guy, so they're likely just bringing him in to be a bridge starter. But I can't see why they would spend pick #65 for that.

They might wait until 4 to take a QB now. But that was a possibility before Taylor too, so we will see. 

2 hours ago, w4rrior723 said:

IMHO, the Browns did indeed bring in Tyrod Taylor to be a bridge QB, so that Darnold or whomever they draft at #1 isn't force-fed before his time like DeShone Kizer was. So Darnold is gone when the Giants pick. Maybe they don't like any of the remaining QB's enough to spend #2 on him. They could draft Saquon, if they want him bad enough; OR, they will surely be offered some King's Ransom packages from teams hot for either the next QB, or Saquon; the Giants accept the best offer and trade down a few picks, then draft Quenton Nelson, or Chubb, or Mayfield or somebody, PLUS a couple of other first- and second-round guys, to fill their many holes.

I am changing my tune on Mayfield and it has little to do with his play. I like this personality and his IDGAF attitude, if we could get him by trading up to end of first I’d love it. Because I wanna see him prove all these stupid FO and talking heads wrong. It’s hope him being him is a big FU to this whole process and to this status quo of QBs being robots and hiding their personality 

5 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Joe Thomas just retired from the Browns today.  I wonder how that affects their strategy with #1 and #4?

I don't think it does. There aren't any bonafide LTs in this draft. I'm convinced that Darnold is and has been the pick at 1. They can get cute at 4 and either trade back or take Chubb or Fitzpatrick. 

4 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

You guys probably know about this, but just in case you haven't heard:

Yeah just seen it. Don’t know anything other than he started for them last year. The more we add to the o-line then the closer to the idea of Barkley at 2. Not completely there yet...

On 3/7/2018 at 4:32 AM, Kip Smithers said:

It’s not about surefire, it’s projection. Just like the same way in which you expect/hope any player drafted in the top 10 or 15 to be a pro bowler. I’m saying being merely a borderline top 10 QB is not enough to be picked #2 in light of all the other pressing issues on this team

You wouldn't take a borderline top 10 QB in the draft??! IMO you're being greedy

It's funny how what the Giants will do with #2 is becoming less clear by the day. 

Most likely, Sam Darnold goes #1. If he doesn't, then the choice for the Giants is easy. If he does though, the Giants have to decide if they like their #2 QB better than Barkley and Nelson, who are the 2 generational players in this draft. 

That's all IF the Giants have their board arranged like I think they do. There's a really good chance they don't. They sent 5 people to Mayfield's pro day, including Shula. Maybe he is the target at 2 all along. Who knows. Never thought there would be such uncertainty for who is going second in the draft. 

Archived