Giants to pick #2 in 2018 NFL Draft

Acgott

On 3/26/2018 at 11:08 PM, navysaintsfan said:

Then its a good thing you guys are not GMs

If I was the Giants GM (and im a jets fan) I wouldn't part with Odell for anything less than 2 First Round Picks + some more ... so seems on point

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/how-badly-do-the-giants-want-saquon-barkley-and-must-they-stay-at-no-2-to-get-him/

I spoke to several general managers over the weekend who are watching what the Giants do with the second pick very closely, and all believed that while the Giants surely are big fans of Barkley, a trade is highly likely and there could be more going on here than immediately meets the eye. Two GMs wondered if the Giants were maybe pushing the Barkley button hard in order to drum up trade interest among the teams still desperate to get into position to draft a quarterback, like Buffalo or Arizona. Because it's not like the second-overall pick is the only spot the Giants can land the running back, and it's not like they don't have other needs

21 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Saw this thread, and thought I was looking in NFL News...

Didn't the Giants send their ownership to watch Josh Rosen earlier in the season in person?

@CWood21- I believe you are right, they did; but I wonder if that were not a smoke screen of sorts. I would not expect the Giants, with their still-unresolved blocking woes (despite the 10,000 references to "hog mollies"), to draft an immobile QB who has an injury history from getting hit by pass rushes. Regardless of his arm talent. On top of that, Rosen of course is known to be problematic as far as coachability, and relations with his teammates; the new Giant braintrust, Gettleman and Shurmur, have been trying to develop a better locker-room culture; would they gamble on a potential dive-type QB, at the #2 pick over-all?

30 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Saw this thread, and thought I was looking in NFL News...

Didn't the Giants send their ownership to watch Josh Rosen earlier in the season in person?

I know owners told the former regime to begin scouting QBs in November. VP of player personal Marc Ross (who was fired) personally scouted Rosen.

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-giants/post/_/id/54741/sources-giants-looking-closely-at-sam-darnold-top-qb-prospects

3 minutes ago, bzane said:

@CWood21- I believe you are right, they did; but I wonder if that were not a smoke screen of sorts. I would not expect the Giants, with their still-unresolved blocking woes (despite the 10,000 references to "hog mollies"), to draft an immobile QB who has an injury history from getting hit by pass rushes. Regardless of his arm talent. On top of that, Rosen of course is known to be problematic as far as coachability, and relations with his teammates; the new Giant braintrust, Gettleman and Shurmur, have been trying to develop a better locker-room culture; would they gamble on a potential dive-type QB, at the #2 pick over-all?

You don't send your ownership to go check out a player unless you're serious about drafting that player.  They're not going to waste their owner's time only to use it as a smokescreen.  There's better ways to do that without wasting your boss' time.  The Giants just handed Nate Solder a 4 year, $62M deal, moving Ereck Flowers over to RT.  To me, that's just another reason for me to believe that they plan on taking a QB at 2.  Maybe their QB of choice isn't Rosen, but I feel pretty darn confident they're taking a QB at 2.

1 minute ago, Acgott said:

I know owners told the former regime to begin scouting QBs in November. VP of player personal Marc Ross (who was fired) personally scouted Rosen.

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-giants/post/_/id/54741/sources-giants-looking-closely-at-sam-darnold-top-qb-prospects

IF ownership is getting involved in the drafting process, that probably increases the likelihood that they take a QB.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

You don't send your ownership to go check out a player unless you're serious about drafting that player.  They're not going to waste their owner's time only to use it as a smokescreen.  There's better ways to do that without wasting your boss' time.  The Giants just handed Nate Solder a 4 year, $62M deal, moving Ereck Flowers over to RT.  To me, that's just another reason for me to believe that they plan on taking a QB at 2.  Maybe their QB of choice isn't Rosen, but I feel pretty darn confident they're taking a QB at 2.

I would tend to agree with you on the QB, @CWood21; but I'll be surprised if it's Rosen, for the reaons listed. Think they'd jump all over Darnold; some people really like Mayfield; some even like Josh Allen and his ominous 56% completion rate. I haven't been wrong about anything for almost twenty-three minutes, but maybe I'm wrong on Rosen.

12 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

IF ownership is getting involved in the drafting process, that probably increases the likelihood that they take a QB.

Scouting them is different than finding one to take. It just means they are open to taken one. They were 3-13 with a 37 year old QB. Of course they are looking strongly at them.

1 hour ago, Acgott said:

Scouting them is different than finding one to take. It just means they are open to taken one. They were 3-13 with a 37 year old QB. Of course they are looking strongly at them.

You don't get you boss involved if you're simply "scouting them".  The only time you get your boss involved is if you plan on doing something with that player.  That being said, it was under the previous regime.

13 hours ago, CWood21 said:

You don't get you boss involved if you're simply "scouting them".  The only time you get your boss involved is if you plan on doing something with that player.  That being said, it was under the previous regime.

It's Sam Darnold or trade down. At least that's what it feels like. 

On 4/2/2018 at 6:16 PM, CWood21 said:

Is there a precedent for this? Seems like a presumptive take. I feel like there have been plenty of cases where ownership has gone to seen a player and then not drafted him. 

On 4/3/2018 at 9:31 PM, minutemancl said:

Is there a precedent for this? Seems like a presumptive take. I feel like there have been plenty of cases where ownership has gone to seen a player and then not drafted him. 

Then there are the seven or so cases where each team's ownership does go to see the player and do draft him. 

Just putting it out there that ownership or top brass probably talks to a lot of prospects over the course of the offseason. 

Well- you guys are all more knowledgable about these things than I am; and know more about the prospects. That being said, I'm still going to go out on a limb and guess that the Giants play their cards close to the vest, and as in poker bluff about this guy or that guy, until one of the Quarterback-Frantic teams, late in the proceedings, panics and trades up, paying the highest ransom offered for that coveted #2 pick; the Giants trade down, still acquiring a very good player (and I hope it's Quenton Nelson), and other picks. They have too many holes to fill.

Archived