Acgott

Giants to pick #2 in 2018 NFL Draft

7 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Doubt it. Darnold is going #1 and I'd bet $ on it.

Reports are the Browns like Allen.  They SHOULD take Darnold, but somehow they'll find a way to screw it up. 

On 4/13/2018 at 5:57 PM, JLambert58 said:

Reports are the Browns like Allen.  They SHOULD take Darnold, but somehow they'll find a way to screw it up. 

@JLambert58- I know you know you're stuff- I've seen your posts on various forums. I also have heard those Allen-to-Cleveland at rumors. What do you think, though- would the Browns, 1-31 over the last two years, really take a developmental QB like Allen? Seems to me they can't wait too many years to win games, and might be better served by a more finished guy, like Darnold?

1 hour ago, bzane said:

@JLambert58- I know you know you're stuff- I've seen your posts on various forums. I also have heard those Allen-to-Cleveland at rumors. What do you think, though- would the Browns, 1-31 over the last two years, really take a developmental QB like Allen? Seems to me they can't wait too many years to win games, and might be better served by a more finished guy, like Darnold?

@bzane  I totally agree that Darnold is more NFL ready.  But the thing is, Allen is a big, elusive, strong-armed QB in the mold of Roethlisberger, whom they've been tormented by twice a year for 14 years.  Maybe that plays into it.  Allen also played college ball in a place not known for its hospitable weather.  (Not as big a stretch to go to Cleveland from there as SoCal)  If it were me, I'd already have Darnold's name turned in, but its the Browns after all. :D

Should be interesting to see how it plays out. 

If Darnold is there, take him. If not, take Barkley. Don't think it has to be more difficult than that. 

Posted (edited)

A week away and my opinion still hasn’t changed. Nelson or Chubb for me. Barkley only if we emphasise the o-line with some of our other high picks.

Edited by Kip Smithers

I am a little surprised at this board.  The more recent opinions anyway.  Didn't read the whole thing. 

Browns got two 1's, a 2 and two 3's trading to Philly.  

Goal is to draft a starter in first 3 rounds and get impact players in first round and good players in second.

That's conceivably; two impact players, a good player and two starters for trading that pick.  In reality you will probably get 2 good players and others will get hurt, misevaluated or coaches will screw it up.  But having all those picks increases the odds dramatically that you will hit strongly on at least two of them.  

What position player is worth that?  Barkley, Chubb or Nelson?  I would trade any established RB or guard in the league on any team for that deal in a heartbeat.  As talented as Barkley and Nelson are they aren't established proven players at next level, they could still bust.  Plus, the positional value just isn't there to not take that trade.  

You can argue about a pass rushers value and might make a blockbuster deal for an all star pass rusher, but Watt, Miller or Mack is not on the table.  Chubb is on the table and he is no guarantee.  

Now if you get a pro bowl franchise QB that is a small price.  So in hindsight Philly made a good deal.

To me only choice for Giants is a trade (if available) or picking a franchise QB if you believe the QB to be a franchise QB.

If you think the QBs stink and no one wants to trade are only ways you sit and pick a non QB.  Or perhaps if you truly believe you are one impact player from a super bowl.  

If I was a Giants fan I would be hoping for a blockbuster trade or you hit the QB lottery, no way I would be wanting them to make the pick for Chubb, Barkley or Nelson.

20 hours ago, minutemancl said:

If Darnold is there, take him. If not, take Barkley. Don't think it has to be more difficult than that. 

It will be if the Bills offer their (2) 2018 1st's, 2019 1st rounder and a 2nd rounder ;)

I'd question your GM if he'd take Barkley (a runningback) over (3) 1st round picks and say Guice from LSU.

I hate when people act like "trade" is just a player you can pick. It takes 2 to tango. 

Well, we are a little over 8 hours away and all signs are pointing to Baker Mayfield being the #1 overall pick. Hard to believe but if it happens, good for him. Dude has a ton of passion and has done nothing but perform well during his time at Oklahoma. Question becomes, are the Giants crazy enough to pass on the "safest" QB prospect in Sam Darnold to take Saquon Barkley? I hope so! 

Truly though, the Giants have seemingly stumbled into the perfect scenario. Their top QB prospect and top overall prospect are both sitting there for them. Whichever philosophy they choose to operate under, they are getting their guy. This draft starts to get really fun if the Browns take Mayfield, the Giants take Barkley and all of a sudden not only do the Jets get their choice of the consensus top 3 QB prospects, but the Browns phone is ringing off the hook for #4. Have to love draft season! 

Darnold would be my pick.  I love the mobility, competitiveness, toughness.  He’s only 20 years old and could use a year old development, which is perfect because the Giants are still on board with Eli.

Barkley is my #2 and I think this is the direction the giants will go if I had to bet.  Generational talent.  The Giants new regime loves to run the ball.  It’ll take pressure off Eli.  Combined with OBJ, engram, this could be a dynamic dual threat offense.

You can’t go wrong with either guy.  I’m excited!

21 minutes ago, Gmen said:

Darnold would be my pick.  I love the mobility, competitiveness, toughness.  He’s only 20 years old and could use a year old development, which is perfect because the Giants are still on board with Eli.

Barkley is my #2 and I think this is the direction the giants will go if I had to bet.  Generational talent.  The Giants new regime loves to run the ball.  It’ll take pressure off Eli.  Combined with OBJ, engram, this could be a dynamic dual threat offense.

You can’t go wrong with either guy.  I’m excited!

Throw in Chubb as well and I agree. All 3 are franchise defining players. Barkley is my personal preference (and even with the news of Mayfield potentially going 1, still the most likely according to those in the know), but Darnold would be the best pick. Best QB in the draft.

Now rumors of a trade down, which I do not believe. The only benefit would be to stockpile future picks for an eventual trade-up to grab a QBOTF. Other than that, you have to grab your top guy at #2 IMO.

2 hours ago, GMENNATION said:

Now rumors of a trade down, which I do not believe. The only benefit would be to stockpile future picks for an eventual trade-up to grab a QBOTF. Other than that, you have to grab your top guy at #2 IMO.

Tons of rumors of a trade down on ESPN in the last hour or so. Some of the talking heads on there are acting like it's a done deal, in fact...

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

Tons of rumors of a trade down on ESPN in the last hour or so. Some of the talking heads on there are acting like it's a done deal, in fact...

I haven't heard anything about this, other than it is a possibility.