Giants to pick #2 in 2018 NFL Draft

Acgott

Connor Williams, OT, Texas: GM Dave Gettleman gave quite a vote of confidence to Eli Manning, and the former was a part of the Giants organization a good chunk of Eli's prime, so it's not as if he's not tied to the quarterback. Williams is coming off an injury but had outstanding tape in 2016 at the left tackle spot.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/mock-draft/expert/chris-trapasso

Thoughts on this mock?

If Gettlemen is truly dedicated to Eli gotta get him a rock at LT is a must. And we all know he loves his "Hog Mollies"

37 minutes ago, Shockey1979 said:

Thoughts on this mock?

If Gettlemen is truly dedicated to Eli gotta get him a rock at LT is a must. And we all know he loves his "Hog Mollies"

Dedicating a draft around an average 37 year old QB is a terrible decision. A LT is not an impact player. An important position, yes, but not the player we need. Is he even the top OL? It’s QB or pass rusher 

Oh...I'm not on board with it if Eli is his plan. I think Eli is a below average QB at this point. But if it is Gettlemans plan to stick with him... he's going to need a solid Oline in front of him to have any success so a OL pick would make sense. But if that's the case I'd rather trade down a few spots grab McGlinchey and get a stockpile of picks.

37 minutes ago, Acgott said:

Dedicating a draft around an average 37 year old QB is a terrible decision. A LT is not an impact player. An important position, yes, but not the player we need. Is he even the top OL? It’s QB or pass rusher 

I agree with the Giants having a huge need at left tackle, regardless of whom next year's QB is- Eli, Webb, highly-drafted rookie; and I'm no draft expert, but I don't think there's a true Pro-Bowl-potential left tackle available in this year's draft. Connor Williams, Mike McGlinchey- they remind me of 2011, when Gabe Carimi and Anthony Castonzo were first-round picks. The best of a mediocre lot. There's no Tyron Smith or Joe Thomas out there, near as I can tell, this year; the last thing you want your team to do is make a "positional reach"- thinking, we've got to get a left tackle, so you take the best one in the draft, even if he's a dubious prospect. It's a predicament for the Giants- they certainly need to get an actual NFL left tackle, after 3 years of force-feeding Ereck Flowers in the position, to justify, I believe, Jerry Reese's using the #9-pick-overall on the guy. And I hope they come up with one. But they would do wrong to pass up a great player at another position to draft an average tackle. 

And if I had an answer as to what they should do about it, I would happily post it.

On 1/13/2018 at 1:02 PM, Shockey1979 said:

Thoughts on this mock?

**** no. I swear if we draft a no-strength having finesse blocker, which translates to a non-push in the ground game. His technique in that regard in terms of keeping his hands inside of the rusher is bad. He moves his feet so quickly it's a sight to behold, but at the same time doesn't anchor well. Add that with no push into the running game, makes him an absolute no for me. 

20 hours ago, Shockey1979 said:

Thoughts on this mock?

If he is dedicated to Eli or not we still need a LT. FA class is poo again for Tackles. As long as we draft somebody who is an instant contributor then I’m cool with it, impact player or non impact player. 

3 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

If he is dedicated to Eli or not we still need a LT. FA class is poo again for Tackles. As long as we draft somebody who is an instant contributor then I’m cool with it, impact player or non impact player. 

LT draft class isn't great, either... Again. You don't spend the #2 pick on a decent prospect just because they're a position of need. You take a blue-chip player that will have the biggest impact for your teams future. I'd rather take Nelson at #2 than any of the Tackles. Or trade down to 5-6 and take him. He's a stud.

6 minutes ago, w4rrior723 said:

LT draft class isn't great, either... Again. You don't spend the #2 pick on a decent prospect just because they're a position of need. You take a blue-chip player that will have the biggest impact for your teams future. I'd rather take Nelson at #2 than any of the Tackles. Or trade down to 5-6 and take him. He's a stud.

I’m not saying that we should draft for need. My point is that whoever we draft has to be a contributor day 1. I wasn’t saying take a tackle, I was just saying if we do draft a tackle we’d be doing it regardless if Eli is there or not.

41 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

We have the #2 pick. If we take an OL with it, it is going to be Quenton Nelson. We arent set anywhere on the line. Every spot can be upgraded and I'm not even sure who we have under contract right now

@minutemancl- As best I understand it, the Giants have re-signing decisions to make on impending free-agent linemen Justin Pugh, Weston Richburg, D.J. Fluker, and Brett Jones. 

I'm going to guess they sign Justin Pugh if he does not get an exorbitant offer from another team in free-agency. He's their best lineman, one of the better guards in the league, and an effective right tackle. His injury history is concerning- but so will it be for other teams, perhaps holding his price down.

D.J. Fluker was signed to a one-year, prove-it deal before this season; I am hoping they make him a good offer and keep him at right guard. They hadn't had a power run blocker like him since Chris Snee. I'm guessing he re-signs.

Weston Richburg is a question mark. He had a breakout year in 2015, when he looked like a Pro Bowl center, He's fallen off the last couple of years. He's been injured a lot and, frankly, when he has played he hasn't been Travis Frederick. He's a pretty good technician center, but, like several dozen other O-linemen they've had this century, gets almost no push on running plays. He also tactlessly criticized some of his teammates for not attending the LeCharles Bentley O-Line School in the off-season. Not sure if Richburg will be featured on the promotional brochures of The LeCharles Bentley O-Line School after the year he just had. Still presumably a good center, and fill-in guard, but they may not re-sign him if he gets much of an offer, Plus, they have a cheaper replacement available in:

Brett Jones. Like Fluker, a one-year deal; not a Pouncey but a solid, hustling blocker, who provided better run-blocking than the expensive Richburg. Seems like a sure-thing that they would re-sign him.

Would LOVE it if they drafted Quenton Nelson, but will be shocked if a guard goes at No. 2---!!!! Now, if they traded down with some quarterback-bereft team, and drafted Nelson with their new first-round pick, and either Baker Mayfield or Lamar Jackson after that...........

On 1/19/2018 at 4:03 PM, minutemancl said:

We have the #2 pick. If we take an OL with it, it is going to be Quenton Nelson. We arent set anywhere on the line. Every spot can be upgraded and I'm not even sure who we have under contract right now

Wasn't saying we would take any of those guys at #2, but if we trade down I wouldn't mind grabbing one of these guys with an extra pick.

On 1/19/2018 at 5:08 PM, bzane said:

@minutemancl- As best I understand it, the Giants have re-signing decisions to make on impending free-agent linemen Justin Pugh, Weston Richburg, D.J. Fluker, and Brett Jones. 

I'm going to guess they sign Justin Pugh if he does not get an exorbitant offer from another team in free-agency. He's their best lineman, one of the better guards in the league, and an effective right tackle. His injury history is concerning- but so will it be for other teams, perhaps holding his price down.

I hope we resign Pugh, but not at $8m/Yr. That's just ridiculous, closer to 5.5/Yr would be easier to stomach. I also don't know how the Pugh would fit into the new system.

D.J. Fluker was signed to a one-year, prove-it deal before this season; I am hoping they make him a good offer and keep him at right guard. They hadn't had a power run blocker like him since Chris Snee. I'm guessing he re-signs.

If they don't resign Pugh, the front office will go all in to resign Fluker. I would prefer him, since he's cheaper. 

Weston Richburg is a question mark. He had a breakout year in 2015, when he looked like a Pro Bowl center, He's fallen off the last couple of years. He's been injured a lot and, frankly, when he has played he hasn't been Travis Frederick. He's a pretty good technician center, but, like several dozen other O-linemen they've had this century, gets almost no push on running plays. He also tactlessly criticized some of his teammates for not attending the LeCharles Bentley O-Line School in the off-season. Not sure if Richburg will be featured on the promotional brochures of The LeCharles Bentley O-Line School after the year he just had. Still presumably a good center, and fill-in guard, but they may not re-sign him if he gets much of an offer, Plus, they have a cheaper replacement available in:

You answered yourself when you said they have a cheaper replacement

Brett Jones. Like Fluker, a one-year deal; not a Pouncey but a solid, hustling blocker, who provided better run-blocking than the expensive Richburg. Seems like a sure-thing that they would re-sign him.

Brett Jones looks like he can be, at the very least, an average Center.

Would LOVE it if they drafted Quenton Nelson, but will be shocked if a guard goes at No. 2---!!!! Now, if they traded down with some quarterback-bereft team, and drafted Nelson with their new first-round pick, and either Baker Mayfield or Lamar Jackson after that...........

I pray we land Nelson. I doubt we actually do, even if we trade down. I think a more realistic target would be Billy Price/Isiah Wynn in round 2. They can plug in at Guard, but their real value comes with their ability to play Center. I also like Braden Smith, Will Hernandez, Sean Welsh, Skyler Phillips, and Colby Gossett. All OGs to watch at the Senior Bowl. I feel like after a strong week there Phillips and Gossett will skyrocket up boards.

3 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

Alright Pat, let’s see what you got with Davis Webb...

Well, Gosh- @Kip Smithers- how do you feel about Davis Webb? How do any of you smart fans feel? I for one have never quite believed he is going to be an NFL starter. Webb's ceiling, it seems to me, is as a solid backup. The kind of a guy you can win the odd game with, but not all you want in your starter. I'm not talking franchise guy, here- just can he be an NFL starting QB? I have my doubts- his lower-drafted status, the way they're always touting his work ethic, how he follows Eli around, etc- seems like if he were going to be a good NFL QB you'd behearing about all these great throws he's making in practice. Not sure myself- wondered how others felt. @Acgott  @minutemancl @w4rrior723 @GMENNATION @Gmen @Shockey1979 @YogiBiz @Go_Giants

I have no idea about Webb. I can't judge someone I only seen play a few preseason snaps. I am also not putting all my eggs into one basket and naming him the QBOTF. We have the #2 pick. I want the best available QB. If for some reason they do not think the quarterback available can be the QBOTF they better go defense preferably a pass rusher. Eli and Webb should have zero effect on who we draft. Our team is a blank canvas and the most important position in the NFL is missing for our future.

Archived