Giants to pick #2 in 2018 NFL Draft

Acgott

4 hours ago, Acgott said:

Both Rosen and Darnold declared today. All options still available 

I REALLY don't want either of them at all. Darnold = Andy Dalton, and Rosen = Ryan Tannehill.

If you are drafting top 3, you need to take a SPECIAL player or at the very least a player that has the potential to be special. That's Saquon Barkley and Quentin Nelson. Barkley is the best RB prospect we've seen prob since AP and many scouts believe Nelson will be the best G in the league eventually. I also wouldn't mind taking Chubb at #2. However, as I said before ideally I would like to trade down a few spots to stock pile some day-2 picks. Then we'd have a lot of options.

I gotta be honest, though... I know o-line is our major priority, but Barkley has me completely gassed up. Watching what he can do on the field is truly incredible. There's only one other RB I've watched who is as physically dominant, and that's Adrian Peterson. But he's already a much better receiver than AP ever was.

I think Darnold is compared to Andrew Luck.  Tough, athletic, big arm.  He needs to work on decision making.  I think he’s going to the Browns unfortunately. 

If you have a 37 year old qb and are picking #2 overall, you need to pick a quarterback in my opinion.  New GM, new HC, new QB.  We need a fresh start.  So hopefully one of the other 4 guys expected to go in round 1 show something and wow us during the process

10 hours ago, Gmen said:

I think Darnold is compared to Andrew Luck.  Tough, athletic, big arm.  He needs to work on decision making.  I think he’s going to the Browns unfortunately. 

If you have a 37 year old qb and are picking #2 overall, you need to pick a quarterback in my opinion.  New GM, new HC, new QB.  We need a fresh start.  So hopefully one of the other 4 guys expected to go in round 1 show something and wow us during the process

Anybody comparing Darnold to Luck is a fool

11 hours ago, Gmen said:

Darnold has been compared to Andrew Luck with a WEAKER arm. Luck doesn't have exceptional arm strength to begin with. He's also smaller than Luck and not as athletic. Luck was also praised for his intangibles (character, mental toughness) coming out. I haven't heard any of that about Darnold. Like I said, he reminds me more of Andy Dalton than anyone else. I don't want Andy Dalton with a top 2 pick. Rosen has even more concerns for me. I don't like what I've heard about his mentality. I'd much rather trade down and take either Jackson or Mayfield. We aren't in desperate need of a QB for this upcoming season. Eli has shown that he is still a capable QB. He had maybe the worst o-line, a crap running game, and no weapons for most of the year and still played DECENT. He was actually looking pretty solid the first month of the season before he lost all of his WRs. Take Jackson or Mayfield and let them sit behind Eli for '18, then they can compete with Webb for QB1 in '19. 

Gimme a special player if you're drafting in the top 5. Someone who's going to be a multiple time All-Pro at their position. Whether it's a pass-rusher, RB, or OL idc. I'd be happy with Barkley, Nelson, or Chubb. If you can trade down a few and pick up 2 more picks while getting one of them, even better.

1 hour ago, w4rrior723 said:

Darnold has been compared to Andrew Luck with a WEAKER arm. Luck doesn't have exceptional arm strength to begin with. He's also smaller than Luck and not as athletic. Luck was also praised for his intangibles (character, mental toughness) coming out. I haven't heard any of that about Darnold. Like I said, he reminds me more of Andy Dalton than anyone else. I don't want Andy Dalton with a top 2 pick. Rosen has even more concerns for me. I don't like what I've heard about his mentality. I'd much rather trade down and take either Jackson or Mayfield. We aren't in desperate need of a QB for this upcoming season. Eli has shown that he is still a capable QB. He had maybe the worst o-line, a crap running game, and no weapons for most of the year and still played DECENT. He was actually looking pretty solid the first month of the season before he lost all of his WRs. Take Jackson or Mayfield and let them sit behind Eli for '18, then they can compete with Webb for QB1 in '19. 

Gimme a special player if you're drafting in the top 5. Someone who's going to be a multiple time All-Pro at their position. Whether it's a pass-rusher, RB, or OL idc. I'd be happy with Barkley, Nelson, or Chubb. If you can trade down a few and pick up 2 more picks while getting one of them, even better.

I agree, that quarterback shouldn't be top of our list or even on our list.  Webb played solid at Cal, he seems dedicated to learning everything he can.  Not like this kid was drafted in the bottom of the 6th or something.  Giants had from my understanding a much higher grade on him.  I'm with you though on picking any of those guys you mentioned.  The offensive line literally doesn't exist on our current roster.  Pugh, Richburg and a few other lineman are free agents, Hart's gone and Flowers is likely to follow and with 30 million in cap this year, it would be impossible to sign an entirely new line in one year, we gotta use at least one if not two top picks on this line.

2 cents.

I just realized something... If Barkley really LIGHTS it up at the combine, the value for our pick could skyrocket. Assuming the Browns don't take him, someone might be willing to work over a Kings ransom to get him. Perhaps multiple 1st round picks. Just a wishful thought ?

1 hour ago, w4rrior723 said:

I just realized something... If Barkley really LIGHTS it up at the combine, the value for our pick could skyrocket. Assuming the Browns don't take him, someone might be willing to work over a Kings ransom to get him. Perhaps multiple 1st round picks. Just a wishful thought ?

I just hope you guys don't draft him...I had to try not to like Sean Lee (and failed) don't wanna have to do it again with Saquon

10 hours ago, Kiltman said:

I just hope you guys don't draft him...I had to try not to like Sean Lee (and failed) don't wanna have to do it again with Saquon

He's by far my favorite prospect in the draft. Talent wise he's prob #1, then you factor in his character and work ethic and he's as flawless as it gets. I watched some interviews of his, the kid is incredibly bright and thoughtful. Seems like a genuine person and would be an instant leader in the locker room. If the Browns were smart they'd take him #1 and get a QB at 6. If we stay put at #2 he's easily my top choice. But I'd happily trade down and stack picks.

PS this is coming from someone who's notoriously against taking RBs in the 1st round, let alone top 3. But when you have an opportunity to take a truly special player you can't pass it up.

The more I'm looking at it, I'm starting to think Webb will be the QB2 behind Eli next year. I think we are going to not pick a QB, and instead work on other areas of the team. Some names I don't think are mentioned enough for our team in mocks are Derwin James, and Minkah Fitzpatrick. We are super thin at DB outside of Jenkins, and Collins. I think Thompson can still get it together, but even at his best he is no where near the player now, nor do I think he is a better prospect in terms of potential than either of them. 

James is one the most athletic Safeties I ever seen, and it pops off the screen when you watch him. He also lays the wood pretty aggressively for a center fielder in today's hit conscious game. I would not mind pairing him with Collins in the back of our D. But Fitzpatrick is in my opinion #2 player in this draft, being behind only Barkley for me now. Just has genius football IQ, and just dominates quietly then goes about his business. A Fitz pick would change the attitude on D, and would also give us the ability to move Jenkins around when we need to as well?

My dream is we trade down with either the Jets/Broncos, get extra draft capital, and draft Fitzpatrick Round 1, then with a bevy of seconds go after JeMarco Jones, and Dorance Armstrong/Harold Landry in the second. Would be a haul to say the least, go after Maea Teuhema/Skyler Phillips in the third, with maybe another tackle like Branden Parker to develop in the wings if we acquire a stop gap tackle (hopefully The Beard can convince Nate Solder that the cancer doctors in New York are some of the best in the country). 

EDIT: Webb has all tools in the world. He is really athletic, is big, and has a really strong arm. I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't go QB, but if we did it has to be Rosen/Mayfield. 

34 minutes ago, YogiBiz said:

The more I'm looking at it, I'm starting to think Webb will be the QB2 behind Eli next year. I think we are going to not pick a QB, and instead work on other areas of the team. Some names I don't think are mentioned enough for our team in mocks are Derwin James, and Minkah Fitzpatrick. We are super thin at DB outside of Jenkins, and Collins. I think Thompson can still get it together, but even at his best he is no where near the player now, nor do I think he is a better prospect in terms of potential than either of them. 

James is one the most athletic Safeties I ever seen, and it pops off the screen when you watch him. He also lays the wood pretty aggressively for a center fielder in today's hit conscious game. I would not mind pairing him with Collins in the back of our D. But Fitzpatrick is in my opinion #2 player in this draft, being behind only Barkley for me now. Just has genius football IQ, and just dominates quietly then goes about his business. A Fitz pick would change the attitude on D, and would also give us the ability to move Jenkins around when we need to as well?

My dream is we trade down with either the Jets/Broncos, get extra draft capital, and draft Fitzpatrick Round 1, then with a bevy of seconds go after JeMarco Jones, and Dorance Armstrong/Harold Landry in the second. Would be a haul to say the least, go after Maea Teuhema/Skyler Phillips in the third, with maybe another tackle like Branden Parker to develop in the wings if we acquire a stop gap tackle (hopefully The Beard can convince Nate Solder that the cancer doctors in New York are some of the best in the country). 

EDIT: Webb has all tools in the world. He is really athletic, is big, and has a really strong arm. I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't go QB, but if we did it has to be Rosen/Mayfield. 

I love Fitz, too. He's definitely one of the guys I'd be happy with, particularly if we trade down. James is a good prospect but he's too similar to Collins. Fitz and Collins would be a lethal pairing back there, making it a nightmare for offenses. 

1 minute ago, w4rrior723 said:

I love Fitz, too. He's definitely one of the guys I'd be happy with, particularly if we trade down. James is a good prospect but he's too similar to Collins. Fitz and Collins would be a lethal pairing back there, making it a nightmare for offenses. 

I just like James since he is such a good athlete. I don't think he's too similar to Collins, he's much better in coverage at this point of time. 

If we stay at #2, the only guys I would be happy with taking are Barkley, Fitz, Nelson, and Rosen. 

I would be ecstatic if we took Nelson or Fitz, and only really happy with Barkley and Rosen. Being at the top of the draft really makes up for sucking all year. 

1 minute ago, YogiBiz said:

I just like James since he is such a good athlete. I don't think he's too similar to Collins, he's much better in coverage at this point of time. 

If we stay at #2, the only guys I would be happy with taking are Barkley, Fitz, Nelson, and Rosen. 

I would be ecstatic if we took Nelson or Fitz, and only really happy with Barkley and Rosen. Being at the top of the draft really makes up for sucking all year. 

We're on the same page, minus Rosen. I'm not a pro scout or anything and I've prob been wrong about more prospects than I've gotten right, but I'm not just impressed by anything about him. He has good physical tools but for me that's kind of secondary when it comes to QBs. I just don't see him as a leader. He has a bit of Eli in him as far as making several baffling decisions a game... But without the greatness of Eli, which is his cool, unflappable nature. Eli's teammates always loved him because of his leadership (minus Tiki cuz he's a *#$&) I do like Mayfield, though. Yeah, he has some immaturity issues, but to me his value as a leader far outweighs that. I wouldn't be opposed to taking him in the 2nd (essentially a 1st round pick at our spot.)

9 minutes ago, w4rrior723 said:

We're on the same page, minus Rosen. I'm not a pro scout or anything and I've prob been wrong about more prospects than I've gotten right, but I'm not just impressed by anything about him. He has good physical tools but for me that's kind of secondary when it comes to QBs. I just don't see him as a leader. He has a bit of Eli in him as far as making several baffling decisions a game... But without the greatness of Eli, which is his cool, unflappable nature. Eli's teammates always loved him because of his leadership (minus Tiki cuz he's a *#$&) I do like Mayfield, though. Yeah, he has some immaturity issues, but to me his value as a leader far outweighs that. I wouldn't be opposed to taking him in the 2nd (essentially a 1st round pick at our spot.)

Rosen just makes every throw well, is the best in this class, or in a while for that matter, at manipulating the Pocket. He has the legs to make a first down run if he needs to, but that is his absolute last resort. He throws a gorgeous football to all three levels, and his mechanics are second to none in this class. The only problem I have with him, is his college locker room not getting a long with him. Was it a case of an Alpha demanding too much of his pack, or is he just an ***. I actually think it's a little of both, but I love his attitude cause he has thick skin and says what he wants regardless of what others think. He is going to speak his mind regularly and is extremely outspoken to the point it rubs some guys the wrong way. It's not that I don't think he's a leader, he just doesn't care about being everyone's best friend. 

Being the bad guy who tells his team how it is week in and week out is a different type of leader, probably the type of leader someone like Odell needs. That's why I like Rosen's fit with this team. 

1 hour ago, YogiBiz said:

Rosen just makes every throw well, is the best in this class, or in a while for that matter, at manipulating the Pocket. He has the legs to make a first down run if he needs to, but that is his absolute last resort. He throws a gorgeous football to all three levels, and his mechanics are second to none in this class. The only problem I have with him, is his college locker room not getting a long with him. Was it a case of an Alpha demanding too much of his pack, or is he just an ***. I actually think it's a little of both, but I love his attitude cause he has thick skin and says what he wants regardless of what others think. He is going to speak his mind regularly and is extremely outspoken to the point it rubs some guys the wrong way. It's not that I don't think he's a leader, he just doesn't care about being everyone's best friend. 

Being the bad guy who tells his team how it is week in and week out is a different type of leader, probably the type of leader someone like Odell needs. That's why I like Rosen's fit with this team. 

That's exactly what im talking about. Look around at all the top QBs in the NFL. They're all guys that their teammates like and respect. Rosen seems like the type that would show up his teammates or throw them under the bus. Perhaps even publicly. That's extremely concerning for any player, ESPECIALLY the QB. You deal with a lot more adversity and pressure in the pros. If you're seeing signs of it in college with less pressure, imagine what could happen if you get off to a bad start like we did this year. It just worries me a ton.

1 minute ago, w4rrior723 said:

That's exactly what im talking about. Look around at all the top QBs in the NFL. They're all guys that their teammates like and respect. Rosen seems like the type that would show up his teammates or throw them under the bus. Perhaps even publicly. That's extremely concerning for any player, ESPECIALLY the QB. You deal with a lot more adversity and pressure in the pros. If you're seeing signs of it in college with less pressure, imagine what could happen if you get off to a bad start like we did this year. It just worries me a ton.

I think he just rubs people the wrong way, it might be because he demands greatness of everyone around him, or he's just a ******. I don't know where the throwing team under the bus came from, did he do that and I missed it? He's not the kind of guy to throw people under the bus, he might just be a ******. 

Archived