Browns OC search

hornbybrown

54 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Mularkey I think will be a great OC.  I didn't hate him as coach, but has a great track record of improving offenses.  
Also outside of this season, making QBs perform better.  

Then he had better have game-planning and play-calling authority or Hueball will bury him.

15 hours ago, freakygeniuskid said:

I don't care who was calling the plays. If you're the head coach, your QB is a spread god, and you're running a 1980's offense, that's on you. Their offense was one of the ugliest, least creative things I saw this year. I am never excited for a hire who doesn't seem to realize that the game has changed in the last 20 years.

If you don't draft a top 2 QB or don't bring in Smith/Cousins then you are screwed. We went 9-7 for the following reasons:  had the top 2 easiest schedules in the NFL the last two years, played in the worst division with major injuries to the Colts and Texans, good draft picks and FA by GM, and a franchise QB.  Mularkey gave Mariota more responsibility than he gave Matty Ice in ATL, and this was back when everyone said Matty ice was some QB savant.  We actually underperformed and one of the reasons Mularkey was let go was he didn't maximize the skill set of our players (Mariota, Henry, Davis, Taylor).  He also blamed everyone but himself for all our problems...just like Hue.  

12 hours ago, freakygeniuskid said:

The exotic smashmouth was always a power run scheme built on insanely good run blocking OL, a pair of excellent RBs, and excellent blocking TEs who could also catch. It was the perfect personnel to run that system. And they also had a horrifically bad schedule for the eight game stretch in 2016 where everyone went gaga over them, like, I remember that during that stretch I don't think they played a single top half defense.

I'll admit, this probably isn't as bad as I'd implied. But this is still an offensive minded coach whose QB regressed hard and whose scheme got way uglier and less innovative this year. And that's not just results-wise, like, I looooove me some Mariota and watched a few of their games and the offense was just boring. So much less interesting than the stuff that those articles were talking about this year. Which makes me wonder, was it scheme success in 2016, or just having an insanely good OL, RBs, TEs, and easy schedule, and the threat of a running QB (since, as has been shown elsewhere, the threat of a running QB can mean very good things for the rest of your rushing attack)?

Everything in bold is true.  Teams figured us out from 2016 and we didn't adjust, and Murray was severely injured all season.  When your scheme is centered around a 30 year old back with major injuries, you're in trouble.  If you draft Darnold or get Cousins/Smith, you will be okay with Mularkey as OC or interim when Hue gets fired.  Mularkey will get you from trash to average.  

Hahaha...potato

Ben McAdoo is definitely a really weird personality, but even before he was hired by the Giants as HC he was interviewed for the Cleveland job before we hired Mike Pettine.

It's hard to tell how good he was as an OC with Eli Manning or Aaron Rodgers as the QB, but schematically his play calling is probably the most similar to Hue as they both move the TE all over the field and work off vertical routes to create space down the seam, to the boundary or a deep crosser.

One thing that rewatching our season from you guess it (THE ALL22) proved to me was that Hue's vertical spacing still works wonders as in 16 games I charted 24 times that we confused defenses and had a free running vertical route or a vert route that had the decisive advantage. David Njoku alone accounted for 10 decisive vertical routes (8 from inside alignments; 2 from outside alignments); Josh Gordon 4 times from inside alignments; Rashard Higgins 2 times from inside and 1 from outside alignment; Corey Coleman 1 from outside alignment; Ricardo Louis 2 from outside alignment; Bryce Treggs 3 from inside alignment; Seth Devalve 1 from inside aligment).

These angled vertical routes either outside the numbers or inside along with a sharp angle for the receivers lined up on the inside did wonders also for allowing a RB to leak out the backfield as their were no defenders that could commit to them.

The RB was missed in such situation 11 times on the season (Crow 7; Duke 4)

Taken together that's a ton of missed plays.

Ben McAdoo utilizes similar spacing confusion schemes to amass chunk yardages.

The issue with such scheme are if you have WRs that can't separate even thought receivers are in 1 on 1 coverage you have to have a QB with pinpoint ball placement to throw the receiver open away from the tighter coverage....Aaron Rodgers is a master at this. Deshone Kizer not so much. Andy Dalton and Joe Flacco were exceptional at this as well.

35 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

We need to be looking at Harold Goodwin, his offense in 2016 was 6th and was 25th this year due to Carson Palmer and David Johnson being hurt

I mentioned him about 2 weeks ago in that I heard that Hue had an informal conversation with him per John Wooten and the F-P.A.; however, at that time Goodwin believed that Steve Wilks was in the running for a few HC positions and Goodwin would serve as his OC wherever Wilks traveled to.

With Wilks possibly still being in the running only for the Titans job, I wonder if Hue gives Goodwin another try, but likely that ship has already sailed.

He was my number 1 candidate as the Bruce Arians and Hue systems blend to make a really dynamic offense.

I'd prefer him over McAdoo and Mularkey.

Archived