Who is the next GM?

amazingandre

4 minutes ago, amazingandre said:

Rumors are flying it will be Brian Gaines or Jimmy Raye, I am not a fan of either. I wish they would hire fresh blood, like Pioli or someone else.

Who do you want as GM?

I don't know who I want. But I know what I do not want:

- I do not want Bill O'Brien to pick the next GM. 

- I do not want Bob or Cal McNair to pick the next GM.

- I sure as hell do not want Rick Smith to pick the next GM.

I'll tell you what I want: I want a Tom Coughlin. Before I get a GM, I want a Director of Football Operations. I want a big boss, someone who kills all talk of power struggles between HC and GM because the buck stops and the power begins with the DFO. 

Find me a Tom Coughlin.

4 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

I don't know who I want. But I know what I do not want:

- I do not want Bill O'Brien to pick the next GM. 

- I do not want Bob or Cal McNair to pick the next GM.

- I sure as hell do not want Rick Smith to pick the next GM.

I'll tell you what I want: I want a Tom Coughlin. Before I get a GM, I want a Director of Football Operations. I want a big boss, someone who kills all talk of power struggles between HC and GM because the buck stops and the power begins with the DFO. 

Find me a Tom Coughlin.

I don't think there is anyone like that right now. 

I think I am on the Scott Pioli bandwagon. The guy can really evaluate talent and build strong rosters. He has worked with both OB and Crennel and would make a very quick transition for them. Even if it doesn't work out with OB, Pioli is a good person to build the roster. 

The questions would be, do we keep Romeo and Vrabel or get rid of them both?

Just now, amazingandre said:

I don't think there is anyone like that right now

There's a few, you just gotta look and break out the checkbook. The Texans are big on bringing in consulting firms such as when they hired O'Brien to begin with - bring in a firm, point at a picture of Coughlin, say "I want that," and let them do the rest of the work.

(And then the consulting firm brings Gary Kubiak in, wagging their tail like a good dog...)

I actually think the Texans need to do their due diligence by interviewing both Astros GM Jeff Lunhow and Rockets GM Daryl Morey - not to hire them, but to see what philosophies they share that make them both successful in the "athlete as an asset" approach to being a GM. If you find a few similar qualities between the two, you look for candidates with similar qualities. 

Bringing in another "yes" man to play golf with Cal will be a mess.

17 minutes ago, amazingandre said:

Not sure he is qualified yet for that role. I am not opposed but not in love with the idea.

Edit - GM is what I was talking about, should have clarified. Not DFO for PM.

49ers GM John Lynch wasn't qualified, but had been basically minting his own money with his moves - trading down and still getting his top player in Solomon Thomas, trading a 2nd round pick for Jimmy Garropolo and securing a franchise QB for a decade...not a full body of work, but the arrow is pointing up for him.

I'm not fully in love with the idea but the qualifications are there for PM in terms of football IQ. Surround him with data crunchers, lawyers who speak contract language, capologists - and let PM work. 

We know BOB works well with elite QBs, you know...ha!

I think Jimmy Raye III gets a "temporary" promotion.

Hopefully, he will 

(1) replace Devlin with Cole Popvich (NE) as OL coach

(2) get Solder as our 7 year LT

(3) invest in the secondary (maybe bring Pagano as secondary consultant since they worked together in Indy)

(4) I am hoping Joyner (LAR) at FS + adding Fuller (CHI) at CB will be a start (plus re-sign JJo to a friendly deal)

6 minutes ago, jch1911 said:

(3) invest in the secondary (maybe bring Pagano as secondary consultant since they worked together in Indy)

If Pagano comes here, I'd hope it's as DC. Vrabel is in way over his head as a coordinator, he needs to go back to LBs.

24 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

If Pagano comes here, I'd hope it's as DC. Vrabel is in way over his head as a coordinator, he needs to go back to LBs.

I'm on the fence there.... I think Vrabel wants to be aggressive as a DC (which I support)... that requires an effective pass rush... which we SEVERELY lacked this year.

That being said, you had little signs of life in our defense since Week 4 or so

Just now, jch1911 said:

I'm on the fence there.... I think Vrabel wants to be aggressive as a DC (which I support)... that requires an effective pass rush... which we SEVERELY lacked this year.

That being said, you had little signs of life in our defense since Week 4 or so

The secondary was a failure at the highest level this season. It wasn't just regression for everyone, guys had no clue on what to do or how to do. That tells me that Vrabel was neglecting that side, or didn't know how to correct it.

7 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

It sounds like smith will be back so we might not hire someone outside the organization 

Sounds like the standard "taking time off to spend time with family" euphemism employers use with standard "mutual separation agreement" that basically let's the employee walk out without either party having to say he was fired. Suspect the "extended leave" will expire when payment of his contract does in 2019 or when he goes to work for the Broncos or in the league office (which will kick in the offset language in his contract).   Sure, the wife's cancer is a tough thing and I'll include the obligatory "thoughts and prayers", but it's just mutually beneficial PR spin by both parties.   If you recall, Charlie Casserly wasn't "fired" either, he "left to explore opportunities with the league office" which much to his chagrin ended up being a crap draft analyst for NFL Network a year later, not the "Director of Football Operations" gig his ego envisioned handing Reggie Bush to the future Los Angeles Saints would get him.   Basically it's just good business to let people go gracefully and with dignity and is preferable to the ugly way organizations like the Redskins or Browns handle their business which just builds on the "dysfunctional" tag that makes them less attractive to the top candidates.  It's also good business not to burn bridges on the way out the door and Rick is nothing if not a VERY political and career-focused individual.       

Archived