Coaches

DeSean Jackson

52 minutes ago, Phire said:

The Eagles' success on offense makes them attractive but to what extent? Hiring either guy would be like hiring Doug Pederson. And most franchises would balk at the idea of hiring someone with limited credentials.

You could say the same about guys like Patricia under BB who is destined for Detroit,  Wilks under Rivera who is interviewing in Arizona and LaFleur under McVay who is interviewing with the Titans.

1 minute ago, Hockey5djh said:

You could say the same about guys like Patricia under BB who is destined for Detroit,  Wilks under Rivera who is interviewing in Arizona and LaFleur under McVay who is interviewing with the Titans.

Hell if you wanted to go to other people not this year you could have said that about Andy Reid and Jon Gruden under Holmgren, you could have said it about Jon Harbaugh under Reid, I'm sure many others, those are just Eagles ones I remember off the top of my head.

On 12/31/2017 at 6:49 PM, ninjapirate said:

can we fire doug and hire jon gruden?

Grudens issues were not being able to find good qbs but he doesnt have that issue here. 

Doug Pederson as of right now one of the best HC's in the league. His masterful playcalling and leadership is a big reason for that. 

22 minutes ago, Hockey5djh said:

Right... but what's your point? Pointing to some like Patrica fully supports my argument. How does a guy like that not already have a head coaching position? 

39 minutes ago, Phire said:

Right... but what's your point? Pointing to some like Patrica fully supports my argument. How does a guy like that not already have a head coaching position? 

the pats defense sucked this year so the real question is why is he even getting a head coaching spot?

48 minutes ago, Phire said:

If I'm not mistaken your point of that post was "why hire coaches who aren't a main reason fro team success?" aka a DC under a defensive HC or an OC under an offensive HC. 

You 180'd on me there sir.

EDIT: To answer your question. Patricia isn't already a HC because Belichick is the main reason for the Pats success.

1 hour ago, ninjapirate said:

the pats defense sucked this year so the real question is why is he even getting a head coaching spot?

This year, fine, but the dude has multiple Super Bowls on the most dominant team in pro football. He arguably shouldn't even be a coordinator right now given the trash that has been hired at HC in recent years. 

59 minutes ago, Hockey5djh said:

If I'm not mistaken your point of that post was "why hire coaches who aren't a main reason fro team success?" aka a DC under a defensive HC or an OC under an offensive HC.

Not being the "main reason for team success" is too simplistic. My point more has to do with hiring guys with split and limited responsibilities, not their attributable proportion of team success. It's beyond debate that one reason for the backlash against hiring Doug Pederson was the fact that it wasn't clear what his responsibilities were beyond holding Andy Reid's clipboard, and not due to any articulable share of team success. Doug Pederson wasn't even the first choice for the Eagles. They wanted Ben McAdoo.

For example, Sean McDermott was DC under Rivera, but he called his defense, as far as I'm aware. Neither Reich nor Flip call the offense. It's not just about being the OC for a offensive minded HC. If you're the OC for an offensive minded HC, but you still call the plays, that's drastically different than what Reich does. Also, the presence of both Reich and Flip just saturates the responsibilities further.

In any effect, I wasn't asking why anyone would hire someone with limited responsibilities or experience. Because clearly it occurs. I'm just offering an explanation as to why our guys might not be getting a look, and why they're likely to stay because of it. 

1 hour ago, ninjapirate said:

You're still thinking about the first month if the season. They haven't sucked in the slightest. The Patriots Defense is giving up 14pts a gm over it's last 13. Accomplishing that after the personnel they lost along with having SB titles to his credit and being able to install the "Patriot Way" is why he's being hired!

Makes perfect sense to me.

Just now, Nabbs4u said:

You're still thinking about the first month if the season. They haven't sucked in the slightest. The Patriots Defense is giving up 14pts a gm over it's last 13. Accomplishing that after the personnel they lost along with having SB titles to his credit and being able to install the "Patriot Way" is why he's being hired!

Makes perfect sense to me.

didn't they finish 31st in dvoa?

2 minutes ago, ninjapirate said:
2 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Have no idea. I know the math on 188pts over 13 GM's equates too 14.4pts. Which is the only stat that matters. Points given up!

i looked it up they did their defense was trash this year

If it were trash, they'd be giving up more than basically 2TD a gm. I don't know what goes into DVOA but 14pts, is good Defense. Don't care about Yards, 1st downs, 3rd down %, whatever. You win GM's by scoring and limiting teams to less points. He's done that the past 13 GM's. Period.

It's like those who suggest the Eagles Defense is trash because of our secondary our bend but don't break approach. At the End if the day, Pts against is all that matters.

Archived