With the 5th pick in the NFL draft the Broncos select....

Wolzen

49 minutes ago, germ-x said:

I only watched the first half, but completely agree with the bolded, but will add a few things I saw that I found concerning that you didn’t mention.

I didn’t realize how much Oklahoma used the hurry up.  The games I watched cut to clips of each play.  The speed and execution makes it almost impossible for even a great college defense to keep up.  Mayfield is no doubt a major part of that execution, but no NFL offense operates at that pace all game long.

He only ran 2 or 3 plays from under center, but looked sloppy in all of them aside from the sneak.  It’s obvious he has little comfort or technique in that area.

Lincoln Riley also makes all the calls.  Mayfield is constantly looking at him, even a second before the snap he gives Riley a glance on the majority of plays and often times Riley is signaling something to him.

It really made me question how he’d look in more of a pro style system that wasn’t constantly looking to catch defenses off guard.

He seems like a typical system QB to me.  He obviously has talent no doubt, but I see him as more of a project that needs a lot of support to be successful as opposed to a guy that can carry on offense and team.

Watch the rest of the game.   It’s a classic. But the Q’s only get louder.  

Roq was an absolute monster in the second half. Looked like a completely different human being. He looked shook early on like he was surprised at how quickly the oline was getting out on him. Just didn't look like the player I've watched the last two seasons. Hopefully he shakes the moments quicker in the league but he was a beast and a huge reason UGA won that game in the second half. This is the type of leader I want on our D.

I'm just flinging stuff at the wall just bouncing ideas. I think when you draft in the top 10 your pick should be transcendent.  It should be made with the goal of combining it with other picks in this draft will make it a game changer.

So my ideal draft would go something like this.

If Barkley or Darnold fall I think we should draft Darnold but get a lot of trade value if Barkley falls. I get it Barkley is a transcendent rb let another franchise put all their eggs to build around a rb not us. The value for the pick is worth more than Barkley.

With the trade down I select either Nelson if hes there, or a left tackle, or (Smith). Smith is the outlier but he would add so much to the d to extend it's shelf life. Don't see Elway going mlb round 1 doesn't value the position. Also maybe can see Carter grow into a covering middle linebacker just a thought. 

With the added pick in round 2 we'll have a lot of versatility. With the first pick in round 2 we can go Lamar Jackson if he's there. With the guard and improved oline Jackson will have a good oline to evolve in the pro game. He should have good run blocking and pass blocking. The next pick I think a versatile 3 down rb would be nice. Like a Penny or Michel.

If Jackson isn't there we could nab the rb first and with the second second rounder we could draft Mayfield or Benkert.

I think this offense would be so much improved and scary it would be an amazing improvement even as early as 2018 almost Dallas esque. It all starts in the trenches. And Musgraves keeps it simple on O so I think that would do wonders for a guy like Jackson. Obviously Musgrave can also add some wrinkles because of the playmaking ability. 

Our line and Backfield would be so much improved the Broncos on O would finally have an identity.

I really can't imagine Elway using our top pick on a QB or going after one in FA for that matter. All 4 QB's on the roster are his draft picks, two of them high.

I just can't see Elway eating that much crow. I think a much more likely scenario is:

Trade Siemian if possible. Name Lynch the starter for 2018 and stop the "open competition" BS. Try to sign Brock for another year as a backup and give Kelly a lot of reps . Good or bad we'd at least have some stability at the position going into the season. We'd have to get rid of Siemian one way or another. That's a continuing drama between he and Lynch just waiting to cause problems.

Anyway, just a thought.

1 minute ago, AKRNA said:

I really can't imagine Elway using our top pick on a QB or going after one in FA for that matter. All 4 QB's on the roster are his draft picks, two of them high.

I just can't see Elway eating that much crow. I think a much more likely scenario is:

Trade Siemian if possible. Name Lynch the starter for 2018 and stop the "open competition" BS. Try to sign Brock for another year as a backup and give Kelly a lot of reps . Good or bad we'd at least have some stability at the position going into the season. We'd have to get rid of Siemian one way or another. That's a continuing drama between he and Lynch just waiting to cause problems.

Anyway, just a thought.

I could see this and with Vance Joseph being retained it might be likely. If Elway won't eat crow on the coach why would he with the qbs? 

This could be a 3 year rebuild if Elway wants to do it right. I think the better this is done the bigger the future window will be. Bottom line a vet qb isn't going to automatically make us a title contender keep in mind there will be a transition period for said veteran. 2) a guy like Alex Smith never had playoff success so whats to make that likely for us? Quick fix isn't the best way to go. Ideally you develop the ones in house see what Kelly and Lynch have if they fail you have another high pick to get one. If one of Kelly or Lynch succeed its a 2 year rebuild if not its a 3.

This route is probably better than the veteran route because there's no guarantee a veteran even extends the current window.

3 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

I could see this and with Vance Joseph being retained it might be likely. If Elway won't eat crow on the coach why would he with the qbs? 

This could be a 3 year rebuild if Elway wants to do it right. I think the better this is done the bigger the future window will be. Bottom line a vet qb isn't going to automatically make us a title contender keep in mind there will be a transition period for said veteran. 2) a guy like Alex Smith never had playoff success so whats to make that likely for us? Quick fix isn't the best way to go. Ideally you develop the ones in house see what Kelly and Lynch have if they fail you have another high pick to get one. If one of Kelly or Lynch succeed its a 2 year rebuild if not its a 3.

This route is probably better than the veteran route because there's no guarantee a veteran even extends the current window.

If you are talking a three year rebuild then Elway could gut the defence - Talib, Stewart, Marshall, maybe even Wolfe given his neck problems.

I think that Elway is in win-now mode - that has been his approach for years, the defence is capable f it - Elway has to fix the offence and starting with the OL. I could actually see a scenario where Elway keeps the QBs but I would expect Osweiler to start instead of Lynch - Lynch just doesn't have the brain to be a QB in the NFL.

I will only accept five players at 5... Mayfield, Nelson, Barkley, Fitzpatrick, Roq, if we botch this with anyone else that is a travesty. Rosen should be gone and Darnold isn't worth 5. I would rather have Darnold than Allen though. I completely expect Elway to **** this up.

4 hours ago, jolly red giant said:

If you are talking a three year rebuild then Elway could gut the defence - Talib, Stewart, Marshall, maybe even Wolfe given his neck problems.

I think that Elway is in win-now mode - that has been his approach for years, the defence is capable f it - Elway has to fix the offence and starting with the OL. I could actually see a scenario where Elway keeps the QBs but I would expect Osweiler to start instead of Lynch - Lynch just doesn't have the brain to be a QB in the NFL.

He has been after win now for years. And the defense is capable of it if we find a mlb, and probably another corner. The offense isn't close to doing it. We need more oline another guard and tackle. We need another weapon, and we need our vet qb to transition quickly and have at least 3 years left in them.

It took Peyton a year to truly transition and he was a generational qb. The likelyhood of all that happening is close to nilch. If Elway takes that approach the franchise is in trouble. 

7 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

The fanbase would mutiny if Denver didn't sign a QB this offseason. I would imagine there is a very, very minimal chance of this happening. A vet QB puts this team in a much better position. Look what Jimmy Garoppolo did for the Niners for crying out loud. We have more talent than them, yet he racked up 5 straight wins because he's a good QB relative to what they had. It's insane to say now a veteran wouldn't help us.

2 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

The fanbase would mutiny if Denver didn't sign a QB this offseason. I would imagine there is a very, very minimal chance of this happening. A vet QB puts this team in a much better position. Look what Jimmy Garoppolo did for the Niners for crying out loud. We have more talent than them, yet he racked up 5 straight wins because he's a good QB relative to what they had. It's insane to say now a veteran wouldn't help us.

I'm  not saying it wouldn't help us next year. Yes it probably makes us a fringe playoff team. But in the grand scheme of things it might actually hurt us. Because no matter what Denver does this offseason they are a long shot to be a superbowl contender. Unless you consider the 6th seed a true contender I don't. 

So in reality if we get a new qb the veteran route at the end of the day we just bury the qbs already on the roster. And try and compete for another 3 years not really addressing the problem. 

I'd rather be a title contender in 3 years than be in contention for the post season for the next 3 years. As good as this d is is it as good as the Jags d ? And we're still far behind them on offense. And they're only the 5th seed. As good as this d is. What would it even take to compete with the chargers and chiefs.

Looking at this team what do your eyes tell you. They tell me this team is moderately far from competing for the post season. And exponentially far from being a title contender. 

And I hope Elway retaining joseph is a sign for this. In my heart of hearts I think Elway retained Joseph because he wants to start the rebuild. Which he can even with a lame duck head coach. Doing this nets more results than firing a first year head coach that makes the front office look Browns inept.

4 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I'm  not saying it wouldn't help us next year. Yes it probably makes us a fringe playoff team. But in the grand scheme of things it might actually hurt us. Because no matter what Denver does this offseason they are a long shot to be a superbowl contender. Unless you consider the 6th seed a true contender I don't. 

So in reality if we get a new qb the veteran route at the end of the day we just bury the qbs already on the roster. And try and compete for another 3 years not really addressing the problem. 

I'd rather be a title contender in 3 years than be in contention for the post season for the next 3 years. As good as this d is is it as good as the Jags d ? And we're still far behind them on offense. And they're only the 5th seed. As good as this d is. What would it even take to compete with the chargers and chiefs.

Looking at this team what do your eyes tell you. They tell me this team is moderately far from competing for the post season. And exponentially far from being a title contender. 

And I hope Elway retaining joseph is a sign for this. In my heart of hearts I think Elway retained Joseph because he wants to start the rebuild. Which he can even with a lame duck head coach. Doing this nets more results than firing a first year head coach that makes the front office look Browns inept.

My eyes tell me our QBs are garbage. Lynch is not a long-term solution. Kelly is an absolute unknown. This team does not often pick Top 5. We need to take advantage of it one way or another. Whether that's through a veteran + Barkley or OL help or a franchise guy is unclear right now, but something needs to happen with that position. The current rostered guys at QB have shown zilch.

8 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

My eyes tell me our QBs are garbage. Lynch is not a long-term solution. Kelly is an absolute unknown. This team does not often pick Top 5. We need to take advantage of it one way or another. Whether that's through a veteran + Barkley or OL help or a franchise guy is unclear right now, but something needs to happen with that position. The current rostered guys at QB have shown zilch.

I mean depending on how Elway views Musgrave I think to follows is what likely happens.  I wouldn't put it past them taking pennies on the dollar for Lynch and Siemian.  And going the veteran route ala Bridgewater or someone of that caliber, and using the top 5 pick on a qb. At the end of the day Kelly was a 7th round draft pick so you aren't banking on him. Him and Brock can compete for the last qb spot.

I also believe paying a guy like Cousins isn't feasible you're putting all your chips in that basket. And he's not shown enough to warrant 20+ million a year. And going the veteran route alone isn't probable because you boost your 2018 record while making it hard finding your qbotf.

A bridge qb is ideal with the qbotf on the roster. Kubiak wasn't brought in here to find a free agent qb. Elway will have hopes to win now while setting up future success.

If VJ was kept it was because his 2017 season was chalked up to have bad talent and a situation he couldn't be held mostly responsible for.   Now we may not agree with that premise, but that's the only premise Elway can use to justify this.   Given that, there's no way on God's green earth Elway isn't going to either draft a QB early or sign a vet.   Literally zero chance.  Elway himself already said retaining Joseph was made with the plan to upgrade their key weaknesses for 2018 - and we know QB is far and away our 1st priority.

Kelly is the one guy who has some potential, but it's just potential.   Lynch is cheap, so he likely gets a chance to compete as backup.  But the very least we'll see is a stopgap vet and Lynch/Kelly/another draft pick compete for 3 spots on the 53-man roster next year.     Or we see the early pick converted to QB in one form or another.

Either way with Elway and QB this is likely his last miss he can afford, given that a miss on QB often costs 2+ seasons (as Lynch has for us now).   If he drafted better overall in Day 2, he'd have more leash, but now we have a talent-poor team depth-wise AND no QB we can depend on for 2018.   We're now beyond "most crucial draft ever" status for Elway - even if he hits on QB, we're at best an iffy playoff contender, especially if we use FA to get QB, because of the cap constraints we have - likely have to let other key pieces go to get anyone but a value bargain stopgap (like a Bridgewater, even an Alex Smith is likely to cost at least 15M, and I doubt KC trades him to us, he'd have to be released, given the intradivisional implication - his 2018 final year is 16M for a new team, FWIW).

3 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

If VJ was kept it was because his 2017 season was chalked up to have bad talent and a situation he couldn't be held mostly responsible for.   Now we may not agree with that premise, but that's the only premise Elway can use to justify this.   Given that, there's no way on God's green earth Elway isn't going to either draft a QB early or sign a vet.   Literally zero chance.  Elway himself already said retaining Joseph was made with the plan to upgrade their key weaknesses for 2018 - and we know QB is far and away our 1st priority.

Kelly is the one guy who has some potential, but it's just potential.   Lynch is cheap, so he likely gets a chance to compete as backup.  But the very least we'll see is a stopgap vet and Lynch/Kelly/another draft pick compete for 3 spots on the 53-man roster next year.     Or we see the early pick converted to QB in one form or another.

Either way with Elway and QB this is likely his last miss he can afford, given that a miss on QB often costs 2+ seasons (as Lynch has for us now).   If he drafted better overall in Day 2, he'd have more leash, but now we have a talent-poor team depth-wise AND no QB we can depend on for 2018.   We're now beyond "most crucial draft ever" status for Elway - even if he hits on QB, we're at best an iffy playoff contender, especially if we use FA to get QB, because of the cap constraints we have - likely have to let other key pieces go to get anyone but a value bargain stopgap (like a Bridgewater, even an Alex Smith is likely to cost at least 15M, and I doubt KC trades him to us, he'd have to be released, given the intradivisional implication - his 2018 final year is 16M for a new team, FWIW).

I just think if he drafts a qb he can justify a transition period. If he strictly relies on free agency I don't see a qb worthy of hitching your wagon too.

Archived