With the 5th pick in the NFL draft the Broncos select....

Wolzen

9 minutes ago, Epic said:

So if Cleveland goes qb at 1, Buffalo qb at 2 (trade), NYJ qb at 3, Cleveland HAS to take Barkley at 4 right?

That leaves us Chubb, Nelson or Fitzpatrick (or Mayfield - I hope not).   I would try to trade down with Miami or Arizona or a team interested in Mayfield. 

CLE already just signed RB FA Carlos Hyde...when they had 3rd-down RB and very competent CoP guy in Duke Johnson.  Johnson only had 1 year left in his rookie deal, so Barkley + Duke made a ton of sense.    You don't draft Barkley to then put him in a timeshare.   IMO it's a mistake, but the tea leaves are easy to read - Hyde's FA signing sure looks like CLE is looking to take nonRB-nonQB BPA...or trade down from  1.4.  

BTW this is a big day tomorrow - Darnold shows well there, and in CLE's private workout -  I think he's their guy at 1.1.   If he struggles because of the weather, then a glimmer of hope given Allen's workout-related rise the past month at the Senior Bowl & Combine...

4 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

CLE already just signed RB FA Carlos Hyde...when they had 3rd-down RB and very competent CoP guy in Duke Johnson.  Johnson only had 1 year left in his rookie deal, so Barkley + Duke made a ton of sense.    You don't draft Barkley to then put him in a timeshare.   IMO it's a mistake, but the tea leaves are easy to read - Hyde's FA signing sure looks like CLE is looking to take nonRB-nonQB BPA...or trade down from  1.4.  

Remember...they are Cleveland though :)   I hope you are right.   They can have Nelson and Darnold and leave us with Barkley.   Our offense is in dire need of a game changer/player to build around.  Saquon is that guy.

51 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

If you believe that I've got swampland in Jersey that's a huge bargain. That is a prime example of lying season talk from GM Beane.   He knows who he wants.  He doesn't like what NYG is asking for price wise, or NYG hasn't decided what they want to do (hold, or sell only to 1.4/1.5, or be willing to move down to 1.12+).   CLE at 1.4 is on hold, probably because Beane wants to know who would be there. 

That's what I originally  thought but look at what he said. Other than Bowl games and seeing an underwear contest. He's had 15 min with each prospect. So I think both scenarios are pretty reasonable two birds one stone.

As I live in NY and get to listen to all the Ny talking heads all day long....

FWIW, the media here believes the Giants have to either take a QB or trade back.  They get that Eli only has, one, two years left.  They get this is the Best QB DRAFT class in years or in the foreseeable future.  They’ve only won with Franchise QB’s and strongly believe they need to find one now when they are picking at 2.  BUT, if they aren’t going to take the QB, they want them to take the (assumed) haul of picks to build the roster.

YMMV.

13 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

How well does Connor Williams from texas grade? Maybe he's  an option for them.

Or Fitzpatrick, Edmunds, Chubb. 

I know I pimp Lamar Jackson a lot but if they load up on d they could easily trade up for him 

Conor Williams isn't coming anywhere near the Top 5. That would be a major surprise if it happens. He didn't test especially well, and there's a thought he might actually project as a guard in the NFL. I think Denzel Ward is the sleeper target for them at 4, personally.

14 hours ago, Broncofan said:

If you believe that I've got swampland in Jersey that's a huge bargain. That is a prime example of lying season talk from GM Beane.   He knows who he wants.  He doesn't like what NYG is asking for price wise, or NYG hasn't decided what they want to do (hold, or sell only to 1.4/1.5, or be willing to move down to 1.12+).   CLE at 1.4 is on hold, probably because Beane wants to know who would be there. 

If I'm Gettleman in NY, I'll happily trade down for the right price.

If Buffalo really wants a QB - and I think the Pegulas want their new staff to "make a splash" and at least try inject some energy into that franchise, create some buzz, and there's no better way to do that then make a blockbuster trade for a QB. They've seen Philly, LA, KC, Houston, Chicago do that and I think that want to be in that conversation. They see the handwriting on the wall with Tom and Ben at the ends of their careers and now is the time to do something bold. The BIlls have been aggressive this offseason, I don't think that's ending before the draft. Most importantly, they have the draft capital to do it and, looking at their roster, they're really not in bad shape, there's a fair amount of talent on that team.

The Giants, on the other hand, only have five picks and they have a brand new GM and HC and, if history is any guide, both will want to put their stamp on the team. The best way to do that is to get as many draft picks as possible and hopefully fill out your roster with a lot of cheap rookies. Everything Gettleman has said, which is very little, he always holds his cards close to his chest, portends that they think Eli has two or three good years left. Why not load up for a short-window run? Trading with the Bills is an out-of-conference trade and stockpiles picks. If Buffalo can offer 12, 21, 56 or 58, and next year's first, I think Gettleman pulls the trigger. Plus, even if they move to 12, if someone they love is available in the 6-9 range, it won't be cost prohibitive to move back up. 

15 hours ago, Epic said:

So if Cleveland goes qb at 1, Buffalo qb at 2 (trade), NYJ qb at 3, Cleveland HAS to take Barkley at 4 right?

That leaves us Chubb, Nelson or Fitzpatrick (or Mayfield - I hope not).   I would try to trade down with Miami or Arizona or a team interested in Mayfield. 

I agree, I'd rather move down. As good as Nelson is, I think two picks (one of which can be used on Hernandez to fill our hole at OG) is better long-term. I don't think Chubb is an ideal fit for a 3-4 and we all know Elway doesn't draft Alabama players. I'd move down and try to somehow get Hernandez + Josh Jackson or one of the WRs. 

6 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I agree, I'd rather move down. As good as Nelson is, I think two picks (one of which can be used on Hernandez to fill our hole at OG) is better long-term. I don't think Chubb is an ideal fit for a 3-4 and we all know Elway doesn't draft Alabama players. I'd move down and try to somehow get Hernandez + Josh Jackson or one of the WRs. 

I don't worry about fit with elite pass rushers. There was a lot of discussion about Von not being a fit at the time we drafted him. I'd be excited about Chubb if that ended up being the choice. 

3 hours ago, champ11 said:

I don't worry about fit with elite pass rushers. There was a lot of discussion about Von not being a fit at the time we drafted him. I'd be excited about Chubb if that ended up being the choice. 

I will buy a six pack of Old Chubb if we draft.  I will buy two six packs if the Broncos draft Bradley and Nick Chubbs.  We will just be the Denver Chubbs. 

27 minutes ago, broncofan48 said:

Pipe dream but IF Barkley is there at #5, and then get Lamar Jackson at 2.7 (I know he probably doesn't make it that far) we could put out a very unique and unseen offense on the field

Yeah, sadly that's a pipe dream. 

Archived