With the 5th pick in the NFL draft the Broncos select....

Wolzen

QB at 5 just isn't going to happen. Elway is under real pressure here to pick a GREAT ballplayer, no bust potential. One more busted draft and he may be looking for work.

There'd be lots of squawking if we pick Nelson but he'd gain fans fast with his performance. There's no bust potential there, none. His ceiling is the best OG ever, floor would be where he is right now, probably a top 10 OG out of the gate.

Kudos' to Elway though. He's done a remarkable job of keeping everyone in the dark.

42 minutes ago, elliot878 said:

Has he made major strides though?  Or is he throwing to uncovered receivers in shorts? I've heard he has great intangibles and puts in the work, but I think it's between the ears, and that's not being factored in when you're throwing to receivers without any coverage.

My fear is his inaccuracy stems from not being able to read defenses and process the right read fast enough.  None of those factors would have shown up in the last 4 months, hence the perceived "rapid improvement." Accuracy doesn't improve much, you've got it or you don't - Allen doesn't.

Well, I don't think between the ears is the problem. He scored a 37 on the Wonderlic (highest of all QBs, including UCLA-educated Josh Rosen) and listening to him speak he certainly comes across as plenty intelligent to play QB in the NFL. The reports are that his accuracy, timing and mechanics were markedly improved from the Pokes' bowl game to his pro day. Improved enough to make him worth the pick? I can't say definitively just as you cannot say definitively otherwise. 

Now, I will say this, even though I am an Allen fan and, along with UK probably his biggest booster here, I understand the concerns. They do give me pause, they are warranted and taking him would without question be a gamble. I tend to think the kid can do it, especially sitting for a year and learning. If he can improve the way he has the last four months I would wager he can make strides over the next 16 months as well. Time will tell. 

It doesn't sound, by all indications, that he's someone we are going consider at No. 5. 

9 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Well, I don't think between the ears is the problem. He scored a 37 on the Wonderlic (highest of all QBs, including UCLA-educated Josh Rosen) and listening to him speak he certainly comes across as plenty intelligent to play QB in the NFL. The reports are that his accuracy, timing and mechanics were markedly improved from the Pokes' bowl game to his pro day. Improved enough to make him worth the pick? I can't say definitively just as you cannot say definitively otherwise. 

Now, I will say this, even though I am an Allen fan and, along with UK probably his biggest booster here, I understand the concerns. They do give me pause, they are warranted and taking him would without question be a gamble. I tend to think the kid can do it, especially sitting for a year and learning. If he can improve the way he has the last four months I would wager he can make strides over the next 16 months as well. Time will tell. 

It doesn't sound, by all indications, that he's someone we are going consider at No. 5. 

People question his ability to read and react to defenses. If it was bad in the MWC it's gonna be an absolute joke in the NFL (as of now). Dan Orvlosky outlines it in the piece that @Broncofan posted yesterday. I'm not sure how much a wonderlic relates to that. 

4 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I will be able to tell you tonight if the kid has a real shot in this league based on where he ends up.

as for the concern of his bust potential is it any more than Mayfield? Rosen (just because of medical)? The kids loves football, loves the grind, and works hard. His floor is a long time backup. Not what you want with the #5 pick by any means, but a higher floor than Baker or Rosen who I think will both be out of the league in 5 years.

10 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Wonderlic score is all well and good, but I don't use it as an indicator.  There's nothing that can replicate a game, scanning your options - deep, intermediate short - left, right, center - who is blitzing, is the pocket collapsing - how much time do I have to get rid of this ball.  It's processing situations and making the right choice, while in danger, just no way to measure that short of game action, and he doesn't have it in games.

As for his fundamentals, anyone can practice perfect fundamentals in a practice setting.  I can shoot a basketball with good shooting form when practicing, but when it comes to a pickup game and there's a guy in my face and I'm shooting off the dribble I'll go back to my natural (poor) form.  That's how I see it.

5 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

QB at 5 just isn't going to happen. Elway is under real pressure here to pick a GREAT ballplayer, no bust potential. One more busted draft and he may be looking for work.

There'd be lots of squawking if we pick Nelson but he'd gain fans fast with his performance. There's no bust potential there, none. His ceiling is the best OG ever, floor would be where he is right now, probably a top 10 OG out of the gate.

Kudos' to Elway though. He's done a remarkable job of keeping everyone in the dark.

I'm going to disagree on the bolded. QB at No. 5 is a very real possibility. We would not have spent as much time and resources as we did scouting and interviewing the QBs just as a smokescreen.  Is having an elite OG, even if he is the best ever, more valuable than having a perennial Pro Bowl QB (even if he's not Tom Brady)? I'm not sure given the value of the QB position. Thing is you have to be sure that the QB you're taking over the sure-fire stud RG has a very good chance of panning out. 

Now, for the record, I will not quibble one bit with taking Nelson at No. 5 overall. The only possible thing that would bother me would be if we took Nelson with Sam Darnold still on the board, but the odds of that, IMO, are remote. 

2 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I'm going to disagree on the bolded. QB at No. 5 is a very real possibility. We would not have spent as much time and resources as we did scouting and interviewing the QBs just as a smokescreen.  Is having an elite OG, even if he is the best ever, more valuable than having a perennial Pro Bowl QB (even if he's not Tom Brady)? I'm not sure given the value of the QB position. Thing is you have to be sure that the QB you're taking over the sure-fire stud RG has a very good chance of panning out. 

Now, for the record, I will not quibble one bit with taking Nelson at No. 5 overall. The only possible thing that would bother me would be if we took Nelson with Sam Darnold still on the board, but the odds of that, IMO, are remote. 

I think we know that Darnold/Chubb/Mayfield were Elway's top 3 (no idea on order) - Klis, Allbright, Renck, Nicki are all saying that part.   I don't think it's a question that Elway would take Darnold if he's there (or moves up to 1.4).   I think the debate will be if Rosen is there.  Seems like Elway would go Nelson at 1.5 (assuming Chubb is gone of course) in that regard.

9 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

I will be able to tell you tonight if the kid has a real shot in this league based on where he ends up.

as for the concern of his bust potential is it any more than Mayfield? Rosen (just because of medical)? The kids loves football, loves the grind, and works hard. His floor is a long time backup. Not what you want with the #5 pick by any means, but a higher floor than Baker or Rosen who I think will both be out of the league in 5 years.

That's my issue with the 4 QB's. I can see bust or backup from everyone of them. As you say, not what you want from the 5th pick. I don't think that's a gamble Elway will take.

7 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

I think we know that Darnold/Chubb/Mayfield were Elway's top 3 (no idea on order) - Klis, Allbright, Renck, Nicki are all saying that part.   I don't think it's a question that Elway would take Darnold if he's there (or moves up to 1.4).   I think the debate will be if Rosen is there.  Seems like Elway would go Nelson at 1.5 (assuming Chubb is gone of course) in that regard.

This again states the most likely outcome. MOST teams pick where they are.  MOST of the action in the top 10 is over.  The Broncos MOST likely will pick at 5.  And it's Nelson who is there.

2 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Alright I've got some running around to do before the draft but I'll leave you for the next few hours with this - I think in about 5 hours, Bradley Chubb is going to be announced as the newest member of the Denver Broncos. 

Would not complain in the least. 

3 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Alright I've got some running around to do before the draft but I'll leave you for the next few hours with this - I think in about 5 hours, Bradley Chubb is going to be announced as the newest member of the Denver Broncos. 

Just now, broncos67 said:

48 hours ago we were staring Mayfield or Allen as the most likely picks, from all reports.  Landscape has change dramatically lol. 

26 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

48 hours ago we were staring Mayfield or Allen as the most likely picks, from all reports.  Landscape has change dramatically lol. 

Chubb would be fine.  It  will probably be Nelson.  And if it ever was Nelson and no Mayfield, this is a happy day.

10 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

7 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

5 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

4 minutes ago, BaldyBronco said:

Chubb would be fine.  It  will probably be Nelson.  And if it ever was Nelson or Mayfield, this is a happy day.

What it does though is it makes a trade back scenario a LOT less attractive.

Whether it's Rosen, Darnold, Chubb or Nelson, IMO you're getting the elite nonQB or the franchise QB.   Allen and Mayfield were the guys with the biggest risk IMO (I know others feel that way on Rosen, too).  I don't think we've heard enough to believe it will be Rosen in play (Klis only mentioning Allen as excluded out of the top 4 might just have been a slip).   But this is a much better scenario IMO. 

Now just get away from the Chark 2.40 nonsense please...

Archived