With the 5th pick in the NFL draft the Broncos select....

Wolzen

2 hours ago, Zukhyubern said:

Are there any day 3/UDFA guys you expect to finally make that leap this year? 

Sadly from last year, I think Butt is our best hope there.   Isiaih McKenzie was an awful pick, because he literally had the same skill set as C-Henderson, and the same flaws.   Elway's fallen in love with straight line speed, when there is so much more to success on the field.  Short area quickness, closing speed, ability to run patterns (WR) or turn/cut/chase (CB), hands, etc.   D-Henderson might help for RB depth, but JC playing so much killed his development.  

UDFA wise, Jamal Carter is the guy on D.     Plus, we did get a decent 1st year's learning from Rios.   He might be sadly more ready to help than Langley is...sigh at that Day 2 draft last year.  Still 1 more to give C-Henderson & Langley before we start to draw conclusions, but man...

1 hour ago, BaldyBronco said:

I love Chubb. But is he in a similar spot as Walker last year?  Do we change our scheme?

Won't really be necessary.   Remember, Wolfe is no lock to be OK, and he's 10M+ from now on.   Harris is the other guy we can rely on.  That's literally it.    Walker we hope will develop, but if he does, we have a good problem.

Gotsis made progress - but he was a pure run stuffer within a rotation.   It's safe to say without a huge leap forward, it's another bust pick, given the Rd2 price.   That's the problem - if he was a Rd4 flyer, that's an OK result.  And if someone took him - let them.   We can't be attached to high-tool, low-skill guys who need time as Day 2 picks ALL the time.  

Another point about Chubb, remember we made that move where Von Miller now reports to the defensive line coach whereas the rest of the OLBs report to the LB coach? That makes me think we're moving towards a scheme like what the Seahawks/Jaguars/Falcons have run in the past where you have a bigger DE, two DTs, one "Leo" and then your normal LB's

Von Miller is obviously going to be the Leo, Chubb is a great option to play RDE in that scheme with Wolfe providing the interior pressure on third down.

Love the pick, nuf said.

On another note, I looked at spotrac and noticed Von's cap number goes up from $9.75 million this year to $25 million in 2019 and 2020. I wouldn't expect much of a FA crop next year. Our draft picks, last years included are really going to have to step up.

1 hour ago, BullsandBroncos said:

If he doesn't show anything this year, he's not worth a roster spot. Waste of a 2nd rounder.

Walker definitely needs to show some improvement.  Though, he was jacked around a bit last year with the lack of depth at OLB.

Walker’s greatest strength was rushing from the inside.  If he can fulfill that potential and live up to his draft slot it would be huge for the front 7.  Miller/Chubb coming off the edge with Walker providing length and pressure up the middle would be nasty.

A full offseason to add strength and bulk up a little bit may be exactly what Walker needed.

2 hours ago, kansas bob said:

It will take Walker a while to learn how to play DE in the NFL. Right now he is a product of poor coaching.

Kollar should be able to handle the coaching. Best position coach we've got.

Archived