With the 5th pick in the NFL draft the Broncos select....

Wolzen

2 hours ago, Broncofan said:

If it's Rd 3, that's fair - but age of players matters a ton in trying to project potential elite guys.   It's less important if you aren't realistically at the elite-level talent stage (although the odd diamond in the rough gets found).  The guy who succeeds at age 19 (and then gets drafted 2-3 years later) is way more likely to be a NFL success than the guy who breaks out in his final year, or is much older than the competition faced.   There are other factors (like guys who have to sit out, etc.), but it's still worth keeping in mind.   Still, for a Rd 3 tackle, it's probably less of a concern.  If you're spending an earlier pick, though, then the likelihood the ceiling is capped is greater.   

Not that it doesn’t occasionally happen that way, but I don’t think that theory applies as well to the offensive and defensive lines.

A WR, RB, DB, even if needing some physical development can still get on the field because power/strength isn’t as necessary for success.

Many great prospects are 260-270 pounds when entering as a freshman and need a year or two to add strength and bulk. 

12 minutes ago, germ-x said:

Not that it doesn’t occasionally happen that way, but I don’t think that theory applies as well to the offensive and defensive lines.

A WR, RB, DB, even if needing some physical development can still get on the field because power/strength isn’t as necessary for success.

Many great prospects are 260-270 pounds when entering as a freshman and need a year or two to add strength and bulk. 

This reminds me of my mother. 

3 minutes ago, Counselor said:

Any of you turned off by the fact Denver requested to coach BAEker in the senior bowl? Just doing their diligence? Just a smoke screen? Or legitimate love fest like what is being pushed out there?

I don’t have an issue with it.  He’s the most polarizing player in the draft, IMO.  I think it’s more of Denver doing their diligence and wanting to get as much time around him as possible.  I’m hoping Allen is on the team as well.  Honestly, anyone that they may be considering at #5 I hope is on Denver’s squad.

I’ve also read the request could all be a smokescreen trying to get a team to bite on him earlier than they should.

At the end of the day, I think Denver is interested, maybe not even at #5 and just want more information and time with him.  

3 minutes ago, Counselor said:

Any of you turned off by the fact Denver requested to coach BAEker in the senior bowl? Just doing their diligence? Just a smoke screen? Or legitimate love fest like what is being pushed out there?

Hou has no interest in QB so seems like due diligence.  Den obv has some interest they should get as close of a look as possible.

I am intrigued by the fact they didn’t ask for Josh Allen and he’s playing on the South team.  I’d be shocked if we are considering him given that.  

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

Hou has no interest in QB so seems like due diligence.  Den obv has some interest they should get as close of a look as possible.

I am intrigued by the fact they didn’t ask for Josh Allen and he’s playing on the South team.  I’d be shocked if we are considering him given that.  

Could be a smoke screen. I'm convinced Elway will love Allen. Which I don't want to happen.

23 minutes ago, Counselor said:

Could be a smoke screen. I'm convinced Elway will love Allen. Which I don't want to happen.

22 minutes ago, germ-x said:

Are the teams finalized yet?  I’ve read differing reports on whether Allen is with Denver or Houston.

No rosters finalized.   Weird they didn’t request him though since Hou literally could care less who they have on their side for QB.   But point taken. 

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

No rosters finalized.   Weird they didn’t request him though since Hou literally could care less who they have on their side for QB.   But point taken. 

It’s also possible that Denver has and we just haven’t heard about it yet. 

14 minutes ago, germ-x said:

It’s also possible that Denver has and we just haven’t heard about it yet. 

Yup.  That would really suck.  Accuracy issues rarely fix themselves if they’ve been around this long.  And that’s just one issue of many.  

Archived