With the 5th pick in the NFL draft the Broncos select....

Wolzen

5 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Yup.  That would really suck.  Accuracy issues rarely fix themselves if they’ve been around this long.  And that’s just one issue of many.  

Don’t disagree.  I haven’t watched anything other than highlights of him so I’d like to see more, but that completion percentage is concerning.

15 hours ago, Counselor said:

Any of you turned off by the fact Denver requested to coach BAEker in the senior bowl? Just doing their diligence? Just a smoke screen? Or legitimate love fest like what is being pushed out there?

I'm not turned off by it. I don't like Mayfield, but it is smart to get time with him close up to see if he's worth the early hype. I do hope in general Denver uses this Sr. Bowl opportunity to get a holistic picture of the prospects, not just focus on Mayfield. The fact that we have a really small scouting department is worrisome with an opportunity like this.

That said, I am concerned by the fact that the hype around Mayfield tends to be due to his "attitude" and "passion." Those are bad reasons to draft a QB. I would prefer we focus on skills. I'm skeptical that Mayfield is going to be a good pro, but this will tell us a lot.

4 hours ago, broncos67 said:

I'm not turned off by it. I don't like Mayfield, but it is smart to get time with him close up to see if he's worth the early hype. I do hope in general Denver uses this Sr. Bowl opportunity to get a holistic picture of the prospects, not just focus on Mayfield. The fact that we have a really small scouting department is worrisome with an opportunity like this.

That said, I am concerned by the fact that the hype around Mayfield tends to be due to his "attitude" and "passion." Those are bad reasons to draft a QB. I would prefer we focus on skills. I'm skeptical that Mayfield is going to be a good pro, but this will tell us a lot.

I'm skeptical on Mayfield as well. There's some stuff to really like about him but there are an awful lot of red flags, on and off the field, that give me pause, especially at #5 overall. 

I think it's smart that they're getting an up close look at him. We also have to remember the only thing the Denver media talks about is the QB situation; The Fan is literally nothing but talk about "the quarterback position" from 6am to 6pm. I have stopped listening. So the way they all blew up when the news we "requested" him on the north squad, while significant, does not mean we are zeroing-in on him with our first round pick. Or lets hope not. 

8 hours ago, broncos67 said:

Mayfield has just about everything you want in a QB prospect, aside from height and some concerns about the system he plays in. The intangibles are off the charts. This is a guy who walked on to OU even though they already had an established starter in Trevor Knight. He didn't care because he had so much confidence in himself and starting at OU was his childhood dream so he wasn't going to let anyone get in the way of that. He forced Knight to transfer and he went on to have one of the best careers (maybe the best) for a QB in OU history. He's made of the right stuff and he is definitely an alpha, something we desperately need on our offense.

On the field, he has above average arm strength, his accuracy is amazing, he gets through progressions pretty quickly, good pocket presence. He also has decent mobility and is pretty accurate on the move and outside the pocket. IMO, he's worth taking a chance on at #5. 

Scouts and experts have him rated high because of his play on the field and the traits he shows. The "passion and rah-rah" stuff is just a bonus.

18 hours ago, BroncoSojia said:

Mayfield has just about everything you want in a QB prospect, aside from height and some concerns about the system he plays in. The intangibles are off the charts. This is a guy who walked on to OU even though they already had an established starter in Trevor Knight. He didn't care because he had so much confidence in himself and starting at OU was his childhood dream so he wasn't going to let anyone get in the way of that. He forced Knight to transfer and he went on to have one of the best careers (maybe the best) for a QB in OU history. He's made of the right stuff and he is definitely an alpha, something we desperately need on our offense.

On the field, he has above average arm strength, his accuracy is amazing, he gets through progressions pretty quickly, good pocket presence. He also has decent mobility and is pretty accurate on the move and outside the pocket. IMO, he's worth taking a chance on at #5. 

Scouts and experts have him rated high because of his play on the field and the traits he shows. The "passion and rah-rah" stuff is just a bonus.

This is a VERY rosy picture of Baker Mayfield. He does not have everything you would want in a QB prospect. If he did, there wouldn't be so many questions surrounding his ability to play in the NFL. Andrew Luck was that kind of prospect. Mayfield is not close to Luck. Concerns about the system he plays in are MAJOR concerns. Spread QBs very rarely become top notch starters. Mayfield isnt asked to make a whole hell of a lot of NFL-caliber throws. He went to OU because he threw a hissy fit after he got hurt at TTU and didn't get a scholarship. This wasn't some David and Goliath situation. I do agree that his attitude and swagger would be VERY welcome on this team, but those characteristics don't make a player successful in the NFL.

He has average arm strength, his accuracy is very inflated due to the # of throws 0-3 yards from the LOS (of which there are many). He does have an above average pocket presence and is elusive, something worth noting especially with our OL. I would not say that scouts and experts have any sort of consensus on Mayfield. There's people who think he's Colt McCoy and a career backup. Josh Rosen is a markedly better prospect than Mayfield in my mind. I think Mayfield COULD be good, but one has to acknowledge the conference and offense he played in are in no way related to what he'll see in the NFL. 

19 hours ago, BroncoSojia said:

Uhhh......

The concerns about the system he plays in cannot be understated. Frankly, it's a major problem. Oklahoma isn't just a program that uses some spread concepts, they're offense is on the far end of the spread system. QBs from those systems, look at all the QBs to come out of Florida, have a real difficulty transitioning to the NFL. Those offenses don't ask QBs to go through multiple progressions, diagnose coverages pre-snap and their receivers do not run a NFL route tree let alone use option routes that most NFL offenses incorporate to varying degrees. 

Again there are things to like about him, he's a gamer, he plays his *** off, he has fire and incredibly competitive. I'm not in the anti-Mayfield camp but he far from a polished prospect and there are a lot of red flags bout about his game and his off the field behavior. He's a MAJOR roll of the dice who require a fair amount of seasoning and for a team that needs a quick turnaround that's a huge gamble. 

1 hour ago, broncos67 said:

This is a VERY rosy picture of Baker Mayfield. He does not have everything you would want in a QB prospect. If he did, there wouldn't be so many questions surrounding his ability to play in the NFL. Andrew Luck was that kind of prospect. Mayfield is not close to Luck. Concerns about the system he plays in are MAJOR concerns. Spread QBs very rarely become top notch starters. Mayfield isnt asked to make a whole hell of a lot of NFL-caliber throws. He went to OU because he threw a hissy fit after he got hurt at TTU and didn't get a scholarship. This wasn't some David and Goliath situation. I do agree that his attitude and swagger would be VERY welcome on this team, but those characteristics don't make a player successful in the NFL.

He has average arm strength, his accuracy is very inflated due to the # of throws 0-3 yards from the LOS (of which there are many). He does have an above average pocket presence and is elusive, something worth noting especially with our OL. I would not say that scouts and experts have any sort of consensus on Mayfield. There's people who think he's Colt McCoy and a career backup. Josh Rosen is a markedly better prospect than Mayfield in my mind. I think Mayfield COULD be good, but one has to acknowledge the conference and offense he played in are in no way related to what he'll see in the NFL. 

Ha! Great minds do think alike. 

13 hours ago, AKRNA said:

Now here's a new approach to a mock draft. The guy merges FA plus the draft for a better picture.

With this kind of draft spending the money on Cousins makes more sense.

http://www.9news.com/article/sports/nfl/denver-broncos/hesses-early-broncos-mock-draft-nelson-michel-gallup-ready-to-aid-cousins/73-508030550

This scenario gives me a bit of a chub  

14 hours ago, AKRNA said:

Now here's a new approach to a mock draft. The guy merges FA plus the draft for a better picture.

With this kind of draft spending the money on Cousins makes more sense.

http://www.9news.com/article/sports/nfl/denver-broncos/hesses-early-broncos-mock-draft-nelson-michel-gallup-ready-to-aid-cousins/73-508030550

All of these picks are amazing. If this happens, I might cry tears of joy.

1 hour ago, jsthomp2007 said:

This scenario gives me a bit of a chub  

1 hour ago, broncos67 said:

All of these picks are amazing. If this happens, I might cry tears of joy.

6 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Yeah it's hard to envision a better offseason than that! 

Whats really cool is it's not unrealistic.  That'd be quite an offensive package to add to the team in one year.

On 1/14/2018 at 7:02 PM, thebestever6 said:

So firm no to Cousins?

Yes, firm no to Cousins.  Don't see how it could possibly happen.  Cousins actually would set us back longer than missing on a QB drafted this year, figuring a 5 year deal at $25m-$30m... we wouldn't be able to layer in more talent because there'd be no cap space to do it - leaving us only draft capital to build a super bowl roster with, something I'm not currently confident in.  

Pasting my response from the Sr. Bowl Thread as to why spending big on Manning worked, and why, with our current cap situation, signing Cousins wouldn't work for building a championship caliber roster:

When we signed Manning to the huge deal we were coming off a couple solid drafts, and had premier talent on cheap rookie deals.  Because of this there was room to plug the remaining holes and surround Manning with the talent to reach the SB.  We don't have elite talent on rookie contracts like we did when we signed Manning.  We had Demaryius Thomas, Malik Jackson, Von Miller, Chris Harris, all playing at a level at or near the top of their positions for rookie money.  I can't name a single player on this roster who is on their rookie contract and playing at the top level of their position, not one.  That's why Cousins can't happen.

Archived