With the 5th pick in the NFL draft the Broncos select....

Wolzen

20 minutes ago, elliot878 said:

Yes, firm no to Cousins.  Don't see how it could possibly happen.  Cousins actually would set us back longer than missing on a QB drafted this year, figuring a 5 year deal at $25m-$30m... we wouldn't be able to layer in more talent because there'd be no cap space to do it - leaving us only draft capital to build a super bowl roster with, something I'm not currently confident in.  

Pasting my response from the Sr. Bowl Thread as to why spending big on Manning worked, and why, with our current cap situation, signing Cousins wouldn't work for building a championship caliber roster:

When we signed Manning to the huge deal we were coming off a couple solid drafts, and had premier talent on cheap rookie deals.  Because of this there was room to plug the remaining holes and surround Manning with the talent to reach the SB.  We don't have elite talent on rookie contracts like we did when we signed Manning.  We had Demaryius Thomas, Malik Jackson, Von Miller, Chris Harris, all playing at a level at or near the top of their positions for rookie money.  I can't name a single player on this roster who is on their rookie contract and playing at the top level of their position, not one.  That's why Cousins can't happen.

I completely agree. Think about it if we land a qb in this draft we can add another 3 to 4 starters for 2019 minimum in this draft. Assuming we get something for Lynch, Siemians, Sanders, Talib. I also heard leary could count as a 3rd comp pick wise? Anyone know if thats true that,would negate the 3rd for Okung.

This way Denver can have organic growth and a 7 and 9 type season and can have another draft and free agency period to land talent for a 3 year championship window at least.

• 2 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, Danger said:

Have my doubts that Barkley falls to 5.

I don’t think there is anyway he gets passed Cleveland.  If Cleveland were to say land Cousins, I honestly think Cleveland would take Barkley 1.1 and then the best defensive player available at 1.4.

If they don’t get Cousins, I think they go Darnold/Mayfield 1.1 and Barkley 1.4 if he’s still there.  

Probably not a popular idea but at #5 I hope we go either:

1.) Baker Mayfield

I really really like this kid. Questions about his play are purely speculative. He has succeeded in the scheme he was put in at the highest level possible in college football. I like his fire, and the fact that he has worked as a walk on twice in order to be in the position he's in. His work ethic shouldn't be in question the way it is.

2.) Quenton Nelson

He is probably the best Guard prospect to come out in a really really long time. I think he has Steve Hutchinson potential. Not only is he physically imposing, but reports are that he is incredibly smart. I know the position isn't as highly coveted, but the eagles showed how far a good line can go. Bolles - Nelson - Paradis - Leary - ? is beginning to look formidable. IMO he his the safest pick in this draft and a surefire all-pro. At the very least a pro bowler in year 1. With how unpredictable the draft can be, I would rather take a surefire stud and a slightly lower positional value, than chance missing completely. 

3.) Trade down.

Our roster isn't nearly as deep as it used to be. We have holes and depth issues pretty much everywhere throughout the roster except at safety. If we can money ball a little bit this year, we can set ourselves up for the next few years very well. A trade down from 5 to 15 with Arizona should net us an extra 2nd this year and 1st next year. That will give us a lot of valuable resources to re-tool our team. We can then target someone like Roquan Smith or a RT. 

4 hours ago, grizmo78 said:

Probably not a popular idea but at #5 I hope we go either:

1.) Baker Mayfield

I really really like this kid. Questions about his play are purely speculative. He has succeeded in the scheme he was put in at the highest level possible in college football. I like his fire, and the fact that he has worked as a walk on twice in order to be in the position he's in. His work ethic shouldn't be in question the way it is.

2.) Quenton Nelson

He is probably the best Guard prospect to come out in a really really long time. I think he has Steve Hutchinson potential. Not only is he physically imposing, but reports are that he is incredibly smart. I know the position isn't as highly coveted, but the eagles showed how far a good line can go. Bolles - Nelson - Paradis - Leary - ? is beginning to look formidable. IMO he his the safest pick in this draft and a surefire all-pro. At the very least a pro bowler in year 1. With how unpredictable the draft can be, I would rather take a surefire stud and a slightly lower positional value, than chance missing completely. 

3.) Trade down.

Our roster isn't nearly as deep as it used to be. We have holes and depth issues pretty much everywhere throughout the roster except at safety. If we can money ball a little bit this year, we can set ourselves up for the next few years very well. A trade down from 5 to 15 with Arizona should net us an extra 2nd this year and 1st next year. That will give us a lot of valuable resources to re-tool our team. We can then target someone like Roquan Smith or a RT. 

I don't disagree with 2 or 3 at all, but I'm confused about #1. I don't think anyone is really questioning his work ethic. It's probably the one thing he has going for him. But I think questions about his play and the scheme he was in are very real. Did he succeed in that scheme in college? Absolutely. Does that translate to the NFL- not necessarily. 

What I mean by #1 is that every single quarterback coming into the league has questions over whether or not they can transfer to the NFL. I would rather take a chance on a guy like Mayfield who excelled in his scheme and against some great defenses even though it's not in a pro scheme. As opposed to someone who might have played in a pro style scheme But not able to have quite the success as youd like to see. Or someone like Allen where the talk is that his team was poor. Great quarterbacks elevate their teammates play. 

10 hours ago, grizmo78 said:

What I mean by #1 is that every single quarterback coming into the league has questions over whether or not they can transfer to the NFL. I would rather take a chance on a guy like Mayfield who excelled in his scheme and against some great defenses even though it's not in a pro scheme. As opposed to someone who might have played in a pro style scheme But not able to have quite the success as youd like to see. Or someone like Allen where the talk is that his team was poor. Great quarterbacks elevate their teammates play. 

What great defenses did Baker Mayfield excel against? He played in the Big 12- not exactly known for great defenses. We're probably not going to agree, but it's the guys who excel in a very specific scheme at a collegiate level who have more trouble in the pros, not less. 

Question- would you rather Baker Mayfield, or Josh Rosen?

5 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

What great defenses did Baker Mayfield excel against? He played in the Big 12- not exactly known for great defenses. We're probably not going to agree, but it's the guys who excel in a very specific scheme at a collegiate level who have more trouble in the pros, not less. 

Mayfield, because he's more durable, more athletic, and there aren't any concerns about desire, leadership, or reports about him being a bad teammate. Regarding big 12 defenses; he put up big numbers against TCU and Texas, teams who had highly ranked defenses nationally. He played well against Auburn a year ago in the Sugar Bowl, Ohio State in the regular season, and Georgia last month. The notion that he hasn't played against good defenses is false.

13 hours ago, broncos67 said:

He played very well against TCU twice, Ohio State, and Georgia. Those are top 20 defenses that he went 1249 yards, 12 TDs and 1 int with a 69% completion percentage in. 

It's a tough question but id lean towards Rosen. He's an extremely talented passer. My hesitations towards him though is his attitude and rumors of how he isn't a good teammate. Also, his injury history is being overlooked. Feels a bit like Sam Bradford in that respect. 

I heard a rumor that the top 3 picks are for sale. Does that make us more comfortable or less comfortable to go into draft day without a qb? On one hand we can trade up on the other there's teams that could leap us. Got to imagine 4 picks being for sale makes the second trade down less valuable. 

Also apparently we even like Keenum and getting him would make us also go elsewhere in round 1.

4 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

I heard a rumor that the top 3 picks are for sale. Does that make us more comfortable or less comfortable to go into draft day without a qb? On one hand we can trade up on the other there's teams that could leap us. Got to imagine 4 picks being for sale makes the second trade down less valuable. 

Also apparently we even like Keenum and getting him would make us also go elsewhere in round 1.

If true, I would think it makes us less comfortable. If a team likes a QB, they'll trade up and use the draft capital to get him. It's been done many times over, and Denver, unfortunately, sits just outside the range at which you could feel relatively certain a QB you want will be there.

2 hours ago, broncos67 said:

If true, I would think it makes us less comfortable. If a team likes a QB, they'll trade up and use the draft capital to get him. It's been done many times over, and Denver, unfortunately, sits just outside the range at which you could feel relatively certain a QB you want will be there.

So why won't Denver be the one to trade up then? If the top 3 are for sale, Denver at 5 has a really good chance of moving all the way up to 1. I'd much rather have Rosen if we can't get Cousins than anyone else that's a Free Agent or draft prospect.

Archived