With the 5th pick in the NFL draft the Broncos select....

Wolzen

A lot of radio buzz suggests Cousins is going to Minn as they can offer a much better overall package.  With that, Denver is back to square one and has to choose between what is left after the first four picks.  Denver has a lot of less than desirable players to get rid of  and try to replace them with players that will field a team that can win.  I seems Denver is pushing the chain of mediocracy  toward the teams of the '60's and early '70's. Is this current team really the worst Bronco team ever?  WTF happened in just two years?  You smart people please help me understand.  Thanks in advance.

13 hours ago, honkeytonk said:

A lot of radio buzz suggests Cousins is going to Minn as they can offer a much better overall package.  With that, Denver is back to square one and has to choose between what is left after the first four picks.  Denver has a lot of less than desirable players to get rid of  and try to replace them with players that will field a team that can win.  I seems Denver is pushing the chain of mediocracy  toward the teams of the '60's and early '70's. Is this current team really the worst Bronco team ever?  WTF happened in just two years?  You smart people please help me understand.  Thanks in advance.

Pretty simple - there hasn't been an NFL quality QB on the roster in 3 years and their offensive line has been terrible. This is not the worst Broncos team ever. They are depleted of young talent due to poor drafting. That pretty much sums it up. 

7 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

I hope not. Why would we pay the 8th or 12th or 15th best QB in the NFL the highest value?

Because our QB situation was the 32nd best in the NFL and that's a huuuuuuge difference.

Having said that, I'm less high on the rest of the roster than the majority of the public/Broncos fans though, so I wouldn't bother. There isn't a single player on a rookie contract on this team who looks like a star player. It's a really bad situation. 

14 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Because our QB situation was the 32nd best in the NFL and that's a huuuuuuge difference.

Having said that, I'm less high on the rest of the roster than the majority of the public/Broncos fans though, so I wouldn't bother. There isn't a single player on a rookie contract on this team who looks like a star player. It's a really bad situation. 

The problem is, if we spend 18% of our salary cap on Kirk Cousins (50% more in terms of cap % then any superbowl winning team ever) then the only way we're ever going to do anything noteworthy is if he plays like Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers and puts the whole team on his back. I'm not of the opinion that Kirk Cousins is good enough to do that.

The smartest thing for this team to do at QB would be to bring in a guy like Tyrod Taylor and pair him with a rookie. Taylor can start if the rookie has any growing pains, but we should look to get the rookie playing as early as he's ready. If there's a guy we like at 5 then absolutely pull the trigger, if not then look to trade our second rounder and a 3rd/4th to go up into the late first (similar to the Paxton Lynch trade, except we're trading up from the early second rather than the last pick of R1) so that we get the 5th year option.

That gives us the flexibility to build a strong roster around the guy and give him the best chance to succeed, a far more sustainable business plan than throwing all the money in the world at a slightly above average starter and expecting him to turn in to Joe Montana overnight.

33 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

I hope not. Why would we pay the 8th or 12th or 15th best QB in the NFL the highest value?

Agreed and other than the Afc being weak why would Cousins come here to fill the shoes of Peyton? High pressure situation.  I also don't think Elway views Mccarron as a huge drop off.

13 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Agreed and other than the Afc being weak why would Cousins come here to fill the shoes of Peyton? High pressure situation.  I also don't think Elway views Mccarron as a huge drop off.

How on earth do you profess to know Elway’s opinions on AJ McCarron? To be fair he’s probably not a terrible option as a veteran guy we could bring in and pair with a first round draft pick (see Mike Glennon, Chase Daniel etc)

I was thinking Nick Foles before the superbowl, but I kinda think the eagles wouldn’t trade him for much less than the #5 overall pick which would be a ridiculous move for us. 

I think people are fooling themselves if they don’t think Denver is going to strongly be in play for Cousins services.  Not saying Denver will end up with him, but I fully expect Elway and Denver to be major players in those negotiations.

Cousins is the quickest way to get Denver back in the playoff picture and in a way kills 2 birds with one stone as it allows Denver to use the #5 pick (which will be an immediate starter) and all other early picks strengthening the rest of the team.

1 hour ago, paul-mac said:

The problem is, if we spend 18% of our salary cap on Kirk Cousins (50% more in terms of cap % then any superbowl winning team ever) then the only way we're ever going to do anything noteworthy is if he plays like Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers and puts the whole team on his back. I'm not of the opinion that Kirk Cousins is good enough to do that.

We don't need Cousins to play like Brady or Rodgers - it is asking a bit much - we need Cousins to play like he did for the last couple of years and it will make a massive difference to the offence and the W/L column. Getting Cousins allows you to get an OT and OG to protect him - and if you are worried about the cost then you solve the problem by having good drafts and bringing through players on rookie contracts who can contribute.

As for Taylor - I would be all in favour of it if Kubiak was still HC - but not now.

57 minutes ago, germ-x said:

I think people are fooling themselves if they don’t think Denver is going to strongly be in play for Cousins services.  Not saying Denver will end up with him, but I fully expect Elway and Denver to be major players in those negotiations.

Cousins is the quickest way to get Denver back in the playoff picture and in a way kills 2 birds with one stone as it allows Denver to use the #5 pick (which will be an immediate starter) and all other early picks strengthening the rest of the team.

I agree with this above^.  Its getting to the point where whats the difference in salary amongst Qb's?  I mean even Tyrod will cost us $17-18mil/year.  Every team has to figure out a way to get around the salary cap with a QB that takes up $17-27mil/year of cap room.  It isn't like the difference between the top and bottom is $20 mil.  Average dudes are getting paid!  All teams have to figure out a way to work around this and it will make available talent across the board because all teams are in the same situation.  The only ones who will reap the benefits are teams that draft a young guy who comes in and lights it up from year 1, but good luck finding that!  Basically plan your cap around your qb getting paid, figure out the rest.  Getting Cousins allows us get a stable player behind center, grab a talent at #5 and start rebuilding this roster around that!

1 hour ago, germ-x said:

+ 1

Elway got Manning here against the odds - and persuading players to come to Denver is one thing he is actually good at.

48 minutes ago, IronJ said:

I agree with this above^.  Its getting to the point where whats the difference in salary amongst Qb's?  I mean even Tyrod will cost us $17-18mil/year.  Every team has to figure out a way to get around the salary cap with a QB that takes up $17-27mil/year of cap room.  It isn't like the difference between the top and bottom is $20 mil.  Average dudes are getting paid!  All teams have to figure out a way to work around this and it will make available talent across the board because all teams are in the same situation.  The only ones who will reap the benefits are teams that draft a young guy who comes in and lights it up from year 1, but good luck finding that!  Basically plan your cap around your qb getting paid, figure out the rest.  Getting Cousins allows us get a stable player behind center, grab a talent at #5 and start rebuilding this roster around that!

Exactly.  I by no means want Denver to make Cousins one of if not the highest paid player in the NFL.  He’s good, but not that good.  However, Denver has been exceptional in their ability to manipulate the cap and set up contracts. 

Archived