With the 5th pick in the NFL draft the Broncos select....

Wolzen

44 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

I think the right move here is to bring in a veteran who can start in a pinch: AJ McCarron, Bradford, Tyrod, Nick Foles etc, but also draft our guy at 5 and hope he wins the job.

I agree with you. I like Cousins a lot, don't get me wrong, but his price tag means you essentially have to hit on the vast majority of your draft picks over the time period he's here. I haven't seen enough from Elway and the rest of the goof troop to believe they can build this team the right way through the draft. It's a tough situation. 

Also, to respond to a point above, I don't think Elway is being cheap at the QB position. I think he's trying to mimic successful models other teams have followed and isn't having success. Remember, our strategy has really been to copycat the models that have worked for teams like Seattle with their defense, and NE/Colts with the Manning offense. Both of those models led us to a SB. In the post Manning years, Elway has gone the route of teams like Seattle/Philly etc....where finding good young QB talent at a low price tag allows you to build out the rest of the team. The problem is that teams like Seattle and Philly drafted and developed their QBs, and Denver doesn't really appear to be all that planful and is just throwing things at a wall hoping something sticks.

Getting a QB is the 100% surest path to success in the NFL. Yes, you can win without one, but more times than not, you'll win having an above average QB and supporting cast. If Denver can land someone like Tyrod for a year, who I think would be an excellent bridge option, and then draft Rosen/Darnold at 5, I think we're set up for a good bit of success. If we sign Cousins, I think we're also set up for success in the sense that he'll be ready to hit the ground running, but at the same time, you're going to need to rely on youth to carry more of the weight than they have been in the past.

2 hours ago, broncos67 said:

I agree with you. I like Cousins a lot, don't get me wrong, but his price tag means you essentially have to hit on the vast majority of your draft picks over the time period he's here. I haven't seen enough from Elway and the rest of the goof troop to believe they can build this team the right way through the draft. It's a tough situation. 

Also, to respond to a point above, I don't think Elway is being cheap at the QB position. I think he's trying to mimic successful models other teams have followed and isn't having success. Remember, our strategy has really been to copycat the models that have worked for teams like Seattle with their defense, and NE/Colts with the Manning offense. Both of those models led us to a SB. In the post Manning years, Elway has gone the route of teams like Seattle/Philly etc....where finding good young QB talent at a low price tag allows you to build out the rest of the team. The problem is that teams like Seattle and Philly drafted and developed their QBs, and Denver doesn't really appear to be all that planful and is just throwing things at a wall hoping something sticks.

Getting a QB is the 100% surest path to success in the NFL. Yes, you can win without one, but more times than not, you'll win having an above average QB and supporting cast. If Denver can land someone like Tyrod for a year, who I think would be an excellent bridge option, and then draft Rosen/Darnold at 5, I think we're set up for a good bit of success. If we sign Cousins, I think we're also set up for success in the sense that he'll be ready to hit the ground running, but at the same time, you're going to need to rely on youth to carry more of the weight than they have been in the past.

If we get a guy at 5 start the growing pains now and use that money somewhere else.

55 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

If we get a guy at 5 start the growing pains now and use that money somewhere else.

You are far more likely to hit pay dirt with an OL or ILB or DE in the draft than you are with a QB.

Getting Cousins - and paying him - opens up far more possibilities than drafting an unknown and throwing him in behind a line that still needs fixing (and there are few options available to fix in FA) and if it doesn't work out you have wasted a year and another first rounder on a QB.

4 hours ago, paul-mac said:

I think the right move here is to bring in a veteran who can start in a pinch: AJ McCarron, Bradford, Tyrod, Nick Foles etc, but also draft our guy at 5 and hope he wins the job.

That wouldn't surprise me a bit. The question is, like @germ-xmentioned, does he really see franchise potential in QB's that may be available? Usually in every draft there's a mid-round QB that ends up outperforming the high draft picks. Wish I knew who that was.

5 hours ago, paul-mac said:

I think that's a terrible idea. It create another open competition in camp. If we don't sign a bonafide starter like Cousins then we have take a QB at #5 and said QB is the starter from day one, no matter who else is on the roster. 

6 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I think that's a terrible idea. It create another open competition in camp. If we don't sign a bonafide starter like Cousins then we have take a QB at #5 and said QB is the starter from day one, no matter who else is on the roster. 

It's like you took the words right out of my mouth. 

7 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

So, even though we just did that same thing with Lynch we need to do it again this year at #5?

35 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

So, even though we just did that same thing with Lynch we need to do it again this year at #5?

And that is why getting Cousins is the best option.

if Elway doesn't get Cousins then he has to take a QB and that QB has to sink or swim with Elway using the money in FA (and the rest of the draft) to build a wall to protect him, a grinding running game and targets.

and even with that he might turn out to be a wasted pick - that is why the draft is pot luck (especially at QB).

1 hour ago, AKRNA said:

Yea you do your due dilligence and get the best guy in here and you make elway and the coaching staff the team make their money.  That's why Elway gets paid the big bucks.

Honestly what will Elways legacy be if Peyton Manning bailed him out and then Cousins.

14 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

Yea you do your due dilligence and get the best guy in here and you make elway and the coaching staff the team make their money.  That's why Elway gets paid the big bucks.

Honestly what will Elways legacy be if Peyton Manning bailed him out and then Cousins.

I'm sorry but that just sounds nuts to me. Changing a draft philosophy from BPA to BQA?  There aren't 3 QB's in the top 10. I've seen some big boards by serious analysts that have only one QB in the top 10.There's no Andrew Luck. There's a half dozen guys that may play in the NFL, maybe be great QB's but they all have flaws. Not a "can't miss" prospect in the bunch.

To really take the "if not Cousins then draft a QB at 5" approach seems very Cleveland Brownish to me.

57 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

I'm sorry but that just sounds nuts to me. Changing a draft philosophy from BPA to BQA?  There aren't 3 QB's in the top 10. I've seen some big boards by serious analysts that have only one QB in the top 10.There's no Andrew Luck. There's a half dozen guys that may play in the NFL, maybe be great QB's but they all have flaws. Not a "can't miss" prospect in the bunch.

To really take the "if not Cousins then draft a QB at 5" approach seems very Cleveland Brownish to me.

Another year of inept offense with no effort to fix it is gonna cost Elway his job.  He and the team need an infusion of talent at that spot.  A placeholder where the cab gets kicked down the road isn’t happening.   Either elway wins the bidding war for cousins or he hitches his wagon to the best QB in this draft IMO.  Red flags or not elway will sink or swim with his next QB decision. 

19 minutes ago, broncofan48 said:

Another year of inept offense with no effort to fix it is gonna cost Elway his job.  He and the team need an infusion of talent at that spot.  A placeholder where the cab gets kicked down the road isn’t happening.   Either elway wins the bidding war for cousins or he hitches his wagon to the best QB in this draft IMO.  Red flags or not elway will sink or swim with his next QB decision. 

His chances of sinking with a rookie QB are pretty high, regardless of who it is. There's not one rookie QB on the board that will reverse our fortunes this year. Unless we get the top QB at #5 it's a reach. @lomaxgrUK pointed out a rookie QB probably gives him one more season of excuses but that's it.

We've won 7 of our last 22. We need lots of improvements in addition to QB. I just don't get the "Cousins or who's left at 5" approach. Keenum just showed a journeyman QB can win with a good team.

I just think there's lots more options out there than Cousins or #5.

17 hours ago, AKRNA said:

We have to get a solution to the QB situation this year. Either sign a bonafide starter or draft someone and hope we scouted well and select the right one. There is no sure-thing in this draft at QB but if we lose out on the Cousins sweepstakes that is the route we have to go, even though all four potential first round QBs have red flags. 

Archived