With the 5th pick in the NFL draft the Broncos select....

Wolzen

40 minutes ago, broncofan48 said:

If, come draft time the only QBs on the roster are Siemian/Lynch or some other journeyman starter and Chad Kelly then yes

Yep. It's far from optimal but that's the situation we're in. You can have the most talented roster in the league but if you have a hole at quarterback you're not going to make it very far.

Look at Jacksonville. Late in the year Bortles reached the level of barely average and that team is as stacked as any I've seen that hasn't won a Super Bowl. Same can be said for Philly, without Nick Foles playing like he was Joe Montana (115.7 passer rating in the playoffs) there's no way the Eagles win the NFC let alone the Super Bowl. 

55 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Yep. It's far from optimal but that's the situation we're in. You can have the most talented roster in the league but if you have a hole at quarterback you're not going to make it very far.

Look at Jacksonville. Late in the year Bortles reached the level of barely average and that team is as stacked as any I've seen that hasn't won a Super Bowl. Same can be said for Philly, without Nick Foles playing like he was Joe Montana (115.7 passer rating in the playoffs) there's no way the Eagles win the NFC let alone the Super Bowl. 

You could see the way the afc championship was gonna go they didn't trust bortles to win that game.

Foles is a different story guy had 2 amazing years with a great top 5 oline. He's phenomenal with a great oline.  So was trevor siemian guy was money with a good line and run game.

A qb is important but we still need to build thats why I don't want Cousins or a log jam in the qb room. This way whatever rookie qb we get they can hit the ground running.

21 hours ago, germ-x said:

I can’t say he hasn’t improved, I haven’t watched him aside from 2 games this year.  So he definitely might have.

I also can’t say that I know the “technique” side of QB play or any other position for that matter.  To be honest, I think it’s an overused assessment on this board and other forums.

With the above paragraph, though, his technique looks dreadful.  All arm, no sets, just slings the ball around.

His accuracy is awful as well.  There literally wasn’t maybe 2-3 throws that looked like that’s what he meant to do.  Even wide open targets by NFL standards he delivered poor passes.  He doesn’t hit anyone in stride, throws a lot of easy passes up for grabs, overall just isn’t a natural passer.

I am also someone who thinks college completion percentage is an overrated attribute, but must say in Jackson’s case where guys are wide open all over the field, his 57% percentage is very concerning considering even when receivers are open he’s inaccurate.

Hell of an athlete though.  Runner 1st type that knows how to minimize the damage from hits.  Arm talent wise also can make every throw.  From a technical/natural passer perspective he looks so far behind the 8 ball he isn’t worth the investment.  He’s a gimmick QB that would need not only an excellent supporting cast around him, but a damn good OC to play to his strengths to be successful in the NFL, based on the little I know.

His adjusted completion percentage was 73.1% per PFF, which was 29th in the country. He had a 12% drop rate as well, which is a relatively poor number for a QB to deal with. I'd agree that there are some accuracy concerns and footwork concerns, of course, but don't think he's a gimmick QB at all. He's proven he can play in the pocket and make progressions, IMO.

Would definitely need a good OC that would utilize his strengths rather than a OC that would want to plug him into a traditional role. Which of course is one of the reasons why QB play is so bad in the NFL - the OC's haven't been able to adapt. Everybody wants their QB to be a great pocket passer - problem is there are like 6 of those alive. 

3 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

Any chance of a sign and trade for Brees? Payton wants his qbotf and is itching to get Mayfield. We want a qb that can win now.

I imagine it would be the 5th pick for Brees and their top 3 picks.

Absolutely not. It would be beyond ridiculous to trade draft capital for an aging veteran QB. Brees is not without questions- we don't have the scheme to benefit him, we also don't play indoors or on turf, and his play has been noticeably worse out of the dome. Beyond that, how does this trade make sense for NO? Why would they give us three picks AND their franchise QB?

Pass. Either get Cousins or draft a young QB.

51 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

Absolutely not. It would be beyond ridiculous to trade draft capital for an aging veteran QB. Brees is not without questions- we don't have the scheme to benefit him, we also don't play indoors or on turf, and his play has been noticeably worse out of the dome. Beyond that, how does this trade make sense for NO? Why would they give us three picks AND their franchise QB?

Pass. Either get Cousins or draft a young QB.

I respect that but it makes sense for NO because if Mayfield is their qbotf they have the coach who holds alot of weight getting qbs.

4 hours ago, Wolzen said:

I hope we have the Qb thing taken care of in FA, that way we can trade back a few spots and still get OL help. But if it does not work this way then I want Josh Rosen. 

I'm not sure we add anything but a veteran. Phil simms is working with Chad Kelly. I've never heard of phil Simms  working with a qb he wants to cement his legacy being booted from the booth and Chad doesn't want to let his uncle down.

Hypothetical? What if Chad Kelly out performs cousins in camp? At worst I think a package with chad kelly gets us into the top 3 easily hes got the genetics, hes had a year off and is healthy, he was a first round prospect before getting injured and his off the field antics.

It's not far off that some team will view him as their future.

9 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

I'm not sure we add anything but a veteran. Phil simms is working with Chad Kelly. I've never heard of phil Simms  working with a qb he wants to cement his legacy being booted from the booth and Chad doesn't want to let his uncle down.

Hypothetical? What if Chad Kelly out performs cousins in camp? At worst I think a package with chad kelly gets us into the top 3 easily hes got the genetics, hes had a year off and is healthy, he was a first round prospect before getting injured and his off the field antics.

I feel like I’m reading the MHR comment section with this post. 

11 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

Is this a serious post? Come on man. Chad Kelly was the last pick of the 2017 draft, had a ton of question marks, hasn't actually played football in awhile, and offers nothing but pure speculation. The idea that a package centered around essentially a rookie QB that EVERY SINGLE TEAM passed up on as much as 7 times, is going to suddenly get us into the Top 3 is absurd. Phil Simms working with his nephew means absolutely nothing. Phil Simms isn't a QB coach. What are his developmental credentials?

There's zero evidence that he'll be outperforming Cousins in camp. I know people are leery of Cousins' price tag, and that's one thing, but the idea that an unproven rookie is going to suddenly be better than a 5 year vet who is arguably a Top 10 QB is ludicrous. Broncos fans overrate the talent on this team like no other.

1 hour ago, broncos67 said:

Is this a serious post? Come on man. Chad Kelly was the last pick of the 2017 draft, had a ton of question marks, hasn't actually played football in awhile, and offers nothing but pure speculation. The idea that a package centered around essentially a rookie QB that EVERY SINGLE TEAM passed up on as much as 7 times, is going to suddenly get us into the Top 3 is absurd. Phil Simms working with his nephew means absolutely nothing. Phil Simms isn't a QB coach. What are his developmental credentials?

There's zero evidence that he'll be outperforming Cousins in camp. I know people are leery of Cousins' price tag, and that's one thing, but the idea that an unproven rookie is going to suddenly be better than a 5 year vet who is arguably a Top 10 QB is ludicrous. Broncos fans overrate the talent on this team like no other.

Its conversation man I'm not saying I believe it.

Archived