With the 5th pick in the NFL draft the Broncos select....

Wolzen

Sounds to me that Cousins in going to Minnesota.  Not shocking...good team, he is from that neck of the woods...makes a lot of sense.  With that said, what I'd like to see if the singing of Keenum and then the drafting of Josh Allen.  Keenum knows who he is...he is a boarder line starting journeyman QB...he signs with the Broncos till Allen works out he kinks to handle an NFL defense.  We are probably 8-8 with Keenum with a top 10/15 pick next year where we get even more talent on the team, perhaps trim some salaries to increase cap room, and then we start to compete for multiple titles..especially, if during this time, Brady retires.  

Rd. 1 - Josh Allen 

Rd. 2 - Will Hernandez

Rd 3 - Michael Glallup 

Rd 3. - Nick Chubb

With the money not spent on Cousins can we pick up a descent RT, maybe Vinny Curry, and a descent ILB? 

58 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

The Allen and Mayfield hype trains are in full effect. Logical, because they had good combines, but I do think it means Rosen could be ours for the taking. He's the best QB of the bunch, plain and simple. At least right now anyway. Mayfield looked way better than I expected him to, I'll give him that. He looked comfortable and made a variety of strong throws.

Josh Allen is going to bust at QB. I will eat crow if I'm wrong, but a big arm does not make a good QB. Mayock hit the nail on the head with Allen. He has the arm strength to succeed in the NFL, but he doesn't have the anticipation and the timing. He relies on his big arm to rifle the ball into space instead of using his timing + anticipation. He will fail if that's the case. Also, make whatever excuses you need to, but someone with his level of accuracy is not likely to be successful in the NFL. It would be a Herculean effort for someone with such poor completion % to succeed- I don't think it's ever happened before.

I think Lamar Jackson was relatively meh. Not that he's an option at 5, but he didn't wow me. He's definitely a QB, not a WR, though. I'm intrigued somewhat by Mike White. He's got a lot of workable tools that seem tailor made for the pro game. We could do worse than him developmentally.

Brett Favre Comes to mind.  And footwork makes such a huge difference. We are talking around 20 more cimpleted passes to get to 60%.

Also Matt  Ryan had a 59% completion in college.  Allen reminds me of a less accurate, strong armed and mobile Philip Rivers. He makes up for accuracy in other ways. Even though he had a low completion % still didn't throw many ints.

I would not discount Denver trading to #1 overall. I think it very possibly could happen. It's increasingly likely we don't land Cousins. Keenum is a TBD because his contract demands (or what he'll reasonably accept) are total unknowns. Beyond that, I think you're looking at a slew of 1-year guys or performance based contracts, and those guys might wait to sign until post-draft.

It all depends on if Denver likes multiple QBs enough to stay at 5. Someone is taking Barkley ahead of us. You can pencil that in. Which team is unclear, but someone will. I could easily see Indy taking Chubb if they stay put, but that's not a guarantee.

Regardless, I don't think enough teams will trade up for a QB. Denver will probably have a choice of a couple of guys when it's all said and done. But again, trading to #1 could be a reality if they absolutely love one of the prospects.

55 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

I would not discount Denver trading to #1 overall. I think it very possibly could happen. It's increasingly likely we don't land Cousins. Keenum is a TBD because his contract demands (or what he'll reasonably accept) are total unknowns. Beyond that, I think you're looking at a slew of 1-year guys or performance based contracts, and those guys might wait to sign until post-draft.

It all depends on if Denver likes multiple QBs enough to stay at 5. Someone is taking Barkley ahead of us. You can pencil that in. Which team is unclear, but someone will. I could easily see Indy taking Chubb if they stay put, but that's not a guarantee.

Regardless, I don't think enough teams will trade up for a QB. Denver will probably have a choice of a couple of guys when it's all said and done. But again, trading to #1 could be a reality if they absolutely love one of the prospects.

I'm sure the Denver brass looked at every option, but I don't know that Cleveland would be willing to risk losing out on this opportunity for talent. I guess you'd have to flip it around and say, if you were Cleveland, who are you targeting and what is your asking price.

1 hour ago, broncos67 said:

Or, would Denver think, hey...if we draft Barkley that eases Paxton's pain a bit?  Or, let's see what Chad Kelly has...and, we will just draft someone in the 3rd round to compete for the QB position. 

I mean, who is coming out of college next year that would be intriguing assuming the Broncos fail again?  

I’m hoping if we sign a QB that Chubb drops to us at 5. His personality is a lot like Von’s and it would be fun to have him rushing off the other edge since Ray has disappointed. He would be a bit of a hybrid player out there but Preston Smith plays 3-4 OLB at a similar size. 

I hate the fact that we might have to take a QB at 5 if we lose on Cousins. Quenton Nelson is the guy that we need and Will Hernandez should be the backup/trade down option...I'll really hate to pass on this guys to pick a QB at 5.

Specially if we sign Case Keenum at a high price just to make him lose the job to a rookie QB sometime in the future.

8 hours ago, Counselor said:

I’m hoping if we sign a QB that Chubb drops to us at 5. His personality is a lot like Von’s and it would be fun to have him rushing off the other edge since Ray has disappointed. He would be a bit of a hybrid player out there but Preston Smith plays 3-4 OLB at a similar size. 

Can't have too many great pass rushers. 

The draft is going to be a nightmare and trading up is going to cost an arm and a leg (and impact into the future).

Elway just needs to make sure he signs Cousins - and if necessary sweeten the pot with more money - that would open up all kinds of possibilities in the draft.

18 minutes ago, jolly red giant said:

The draft is going to be a nightmare and trading up is going to cost an arm and a leg (and impact into the future).

Elway just needs to make sure he signs Cousins - and if necessary sweeten the pot with more money - that would open up all kinds of possibilities in the draft.

If Cousins doesn't want to come here, then there's nothing we can do.

4 hours ago, jolly red giant said:

A bigger nightmare is depleting available salary cap space. I like Cousins too, but if the rumored 3 yrs/91MM all guaranteed is a real thing, there's no way Denver should pay that. At all.

Archived