With the 5th pick in the NFL draft the Broncos select....

Wolzen

36 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Stay TF away from Darnols. I know is a change for me but the eyeball test means a lot and I like what I see from Mayfield tonight. Against a defense that has some future NFLers on it too nonetheless.

Been following it on my phone, was only able to watch the 1st half.

Wasn’t particularly impressed with Mayfield outside a couple throws on the first drive of the game.  Has he been better looking 2nd half.

Also wasn’t impressed with Georgia’s LB Smith who some think could be a top 10-15 pick.  Hadn’t watched him before, definitely a great athlete but instincts looked shaky and couldn’t take on blocks.  How’s he looked 2nd half?

Thought Orlando Brown looked like a beast though.  Dominated everyone in front of him in the 1st half.  But his size could be a real concern.  Read he’s been over 400 pounds multiple times in his life.  

3 minutes ago, germ-x said:

Been following it on my phone, was only able to watch the 1st half.

Wasn’t particularly impressed with Mayfield outside a couple throws on the first drive of the game.  Has he been better looking 2nd half.

Also wasn’t impressed with Georgia’s LB Smith who some think could be a top 10-15 pick.  Hadn’t watched him before, definitely a great athlete but instincts looked shaky and couldn’t take on blocks.  How’s he looked 2nd half?

Thought Orlando Brown looked like a beast though.  Dominated everyone in front of him in the 1st half.  But his size could be a real concern.  Read he’s been over 400 pounds multiple times in his life.  

Roquan has been an absolute stud in the second half.

TBH, Mayfield made 3-4 NFL quality throws (esp with the 4Q comeback drive) this game, but he also was eyes down with pressure, and not looking to extend plays once he was scrambling with pressure.   He also missed on a couple of tight window throws and obv. the pick.   The bigger issue IMO is that he was not elusive at all.   The scheme OKL has creates ability to move around, but I saw a lot of eyes down with pressure once he left the pocket - we haven't had many chances to see how he reacts to actual pocket pressure, and man, it wasn't that pretty.   For all the struggles Darnold went through vs. an equally great (if not better OSU D), one thing you saw were 6-7 plays throwing guys open in tight coverage, and eyes up with pressure almost every play.   I still worry about Darnold's hands, but Mayfield's game today raised as many Q's as they answered IMO.

And I get it's a really good Georgia D - but the NFL level talent is as good, or better.   That's a huge flag IMO.   Barkley's Senior Bowl scrimmages are going to have to be off the charts to consider him as even a top 15-20 pick IMO.   I know this puts me at odds with others who've seen him play, but we have such little film with actual tight windows/pressure, we have to use what we have - and the 2H and OT really raises these flags even more (even the OSU game in September doesn't help, because the Buckeyes had 3 rookie starters in the secondary, and the WR's were open by miles). 

P.S.  Roquan Smith was an animal in the 2H.   Still not quite as good as Foster, but that's no knock - top ILB for sure this draft. Huge OT 3rd down stop to give them a 2nd drive to win the game.   Instant CFB classic.

15 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

TBH, Mayfield made 3-4 NFL quality throws (esp with the 4Q comeback drive) this game, but he also was eyes down with pressure, and not looking to extend plays once he was scrambling with pressure.   He also missed on a couple of tight window throws and obv. the pick.   The bigger issue IMO is that he was not elusive at all.   The scheme OKL has creates ability to move around, but I saw a lot of eyes down with pressure once he left the pocket - we haven't had many chances to see how he reacts to actual pocket pressure, and man, it wasn't that pretty.   For all the struggles Darnold went through vs. an equally great (if not better OSU D), one thing you saw were 6-7 plays throwing guys open in tight coverage, and eyes up with pressure almost every play.   I still worry about Darnold's hands, but Mayfield's game today raised as many Q's as they answered IMO.

I only watched the first half, but completely agree with the bolded, but will add a few things I saw that I found concerning that you didn’t mention.

I didn’t realize how much Oklahoma used the hurry up.  The games I watched cut to clips of each play.  The speed and execution makes it almost impossible for even a great college defense to keep up.  Mayfield is no doubt a major part of that execution, but no NFL offense operates at that pace all game long.

He only ran 2 or 3 plays from under center, but looked sloppy in all of them aside from the sneak.  It’s obvious he has little comfort or technique in that area.

Lincoln Riley also makes all the calls.  Mayfield is constantly looking at him, even a second before the snap he gives Riley a glance on the majority of plays and often times Riley is signaling something to him.

It really made me question how he’d look in more of a pro style system that wasn’t constantly looking to catch defenses off guard.

He seems like a typical system QB to me.  He obviously has talent no doubt, but I see him as more of a project that needs a lot of support to be successful as opposed to a guy that can carry on offense and team.

Archived