With the 5th pick in the NFL draft the Broncos select....

Wolzen

I think O. Brown should be selected at #5, moving meathead to RT.  Can that work @AKRNA?  

I think if RBs are needed...I saw two very good Dawgs that might be available early #2...Sonny Marcel looks every bit the RB that Barkely is...to me.  Odd comparison.  It seems to me that Chubb is Juwan Jamison and Marcel is Vince Carter (in college Juwan was UNCs #1 and Carter was the #2, until they reached the pros and that all got reversed...for those who are old enough and can remember that far away).  I think if the Broncos can do this and nab a Guard in FA...this at least sets up a nice running game for whoever winds up being the QB next year.  

3 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

I think O. Brown should be selected at #5, moving meathead to RT.  Can that work @AKRNA?  

I think if RBs are needed...I saw two very good Dawgs that might be available early #2...Sonny Marcel looks every bit the RB that Barkely is...to me.  Odd comparison.  It seems to me that Chubb is Juwan Jamison and Marcel is Vince Carter (in college Juwan was UNCs #1 and Carter was the #2, until they reached the pros and that all got reversed...for those who are old enough and can remember that far away).  I think if the Broncos can do this and nab a Guard in FA...this at least sets up a nice running game for whoever winds up being the QB next year.  

Antawn Jamison 

9 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

Orlando Brown is a good player.  I still like Williams more, however.

Brown mid 1st I wouldn’t have an issue with.  But I’m not sure he has he feet to be a bookend LT.  His weight is also concerning.  He’s been over 400 pounds multiple times in his life.  He’s a guy that if not fully dedicated could easily roll into camp at 380+.

19 minutes ago, germ-x said:

Orlando Brown is a good player.  I still like Williams more, however.

Brown mid 1st I wouldn’t have an issue with.  But I’m not sure he has he feet to be a bookend LT.  His weight is also concerning.  He’s been over 400 pounds multiple times in his life.  He’s a guy that if not fully dedicated could easily roll into camp at 380+.

Brown has too much risk to end up as RT as you mentioned.   Honestly, though, so much is going to happen between now and Draft Day.  The Senior Bowl and Combine are so crucial for trench guys, then you see how they fare in one-on-one against other good players and not because of scheme/weak competition/better teammates (in Senior Bowl).   It's too bad Williams isn't a RS Junior who graduated, I'd love to see him vs. EDGES & DE's there.   The Combine will be huge for Williams, because he's going to have to show elite SPARQ talent and more core strength (which the Combine isn't a great test for in OL) to justify a top 5 pick.   

9 hours ago, jsthomp2007 said:

I doubt it. Now, I've never seen him play either.

Bottom line, there's kind of a 320 lb barrier that's tough to break. It's rare to find a guy over that size that's still quick enough to play on the left. He's 40 lbs above that. Could be he'll move the bar though. I'd just be surprised. If he's got borderline LT abilities he chould be a load on the right side though.

That's one of the things that makes Nelson so special. At 330lbs he moves like an OG 20-25 pounds lighter.

16 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Sam Darnold officially is entering the NFL draft things should get interesting.  I really wish I had a crystal ball for may 1st to see how the draft and free agency went.

Ah come on - the anticipation is part of the fun - look at what we will have to talk about for the next four months.

3 minutes ago, jolly red giant said:

Ah come on - the anticipation is part of the fun - look at what we will have to talk about for the next four months.

Yea but it's  agonizing it's not fun being a 5 and 11 football team. I didn't like the year after Macdaster it gave me a wheezy  feeling. I just want some foresight to what will happen. 

Even if I got to see free agency. According to Talib he thinks Elway will go the veteran route for qb because he can't stand losing.

He said they will pick a guy like Smith because Mahomes can really ball. I just will be super down if we got Cousins or Smith the vet route. I feel like that will remind me of the Plummer years of the Shanny era. I wouldn't mind eli if we can get him for a huge discount but I believe he's still under contract. If we went Eli plus a rookie I can be confident in the present and future.

A lot is going to happen before the draft.  But, with Rosen and Darnold both declaring for the draft I can’t think of a better time to have a top 5 pick with a QB need.

There are 4 guys that have gotten top 10 hype throughout the season with Rosen, Darnold, Allen, and Mayfield.  Aside from Rosen, there are some not only in this forum, but draftniks as well that have concerns about the other 3. 

Rosen is the most polished of the group.  Pro style offense, great arm, excellent release, and the most polished fundamentally.  Again, reminds me a lot of Matt Ryan when he came out.

Darnold didn’t capitalize on his production from last year.  Goofy delivery as well.  But makes anticipation/accuracy throws that are special.  Also is a solid athlete with size.  But have read a few articles that believe he’s overhyped and some within the NFL community see him more as a mid 1st rounder.

Allen while coming from a mix of pro/spread is still the most raw, but is also the greatest talent.  Some draftniks aren’t as high on him as others.  While some also think he’ll be a far better pro than college player when he gets to play with talent around him.

Mayfield is the most polarizing player in the draft.  Physically the weakest of the group, but his instincts and ability to throw on the move are excellent.  Like Allen, some draftniks see the best QB in the draft, while others see a system QB with average talent. 

Ultimately, if Denver doesn’t make a splash signing in FA one has to think they go QB at #5.  

5 hours ago, germ-x said:

A lot is going to happen before the draft.  But, with Rosen and Darnold both declaring for the draft I can’t think of a better time to have a top 5 pick with a QB need.

There are 4 guys that have gotten top 10 hype throughout the season with Rosen, Darnold, Allen, and Mayfield.  Aside from Rosen, there are some not only in this forum, but draftniks as well that have concerns about the other 3. 

Rosen is the most polished of the group.  Pro style offense, great arm, excellent release, and the most polished fundamentally.  Again, reminds me a lot of Matt Ryan when he came out.

Darnold didn’t capitalize on his production from last year.  Goofy delivery as well.  But makes anticipation/accuracy throws that are special.  Also is a solid athlete with size.  But have read a few articles that believe he’s overhyped and some within the NFL community see him more as a mid 1st rounder.

Allen while coming from a mix of pro/spread is still the most raw, but is also the greatest talent.  Some draftniks aren’t as high on him as others.  While some also think he’ll be a far better pro than college player when he gets to play with talent around him.

Mayfield is the most polarizing player in the draft.  Physically the weakest of the group, but his instincts and ability to throw on the move are excellent.  Like Allen, some draftniks see the best QB in the draft, while others see a system QB with average talent. 

Ultimately, if Denver doesn’t make a splash signing in FA one has to think they go QB at #5.  

I'm  actually concerned about Rosen because of injury.

I really don't believe that Baker is worth #5. To me its still Darnold, Rosen, Barkley or trade down with Rosen as the clear cut top prospect in the draft.

I don't want this team to force another QB pick out of need, and taking Baker that high would be doing just so. Too many red flags, the biggest being his reliance on play calling from the OC and total lack of snaps from a pro style offense. And Allen is just too rough around the edges to me. So much quarterbacking is made between your ears and Allen to me is a shorts/jersey all star who will struggle when the pads come on and the kid gloves come off.

I still have them ranked: 1) Rosen (Top Pick) 2) Darnold (Top 5) 3) Mayfield (Low R1) 4) Allen (Middle R2)

I know that's not the pro consensus, but I really only see two franchise guys in this draft. The same two there always were.

1 hour ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

I really don't believe that Baker is worth #5. To me its still Darnold, Rosen, Barkley or trade down with Rosen as the clear cut top prospect in the draft.

I don't want this team to force another QB pick out of need, and taking Baker that high would be doing just so. Too many red flags, the biggest being his reliance on play calling from the OC and total lack of snaps from a pro style offense. And Allen is just too rough around the edges to me. So much quarterbacking is made between your ears and Allen to me is a shorts/jersey all star who will struggle when the pads come on and the kid gloves come off.

I still have them ranked: 1) Rosen (Top Pick) 2) Darnold (Top 5) 3) Mayfield (Low R1) 4) Allen (Middle R2)

I know that's not the pro consensus, but I really only see two franchise guys in this draft. The same two there always were.

History from the last 10+ years shows a lot of forced R1 picks.   And literally except for 1-2 cases they don’t pan out (Watson being 1 of them, depends if you think Flacco now qualifies).    I blame the college game moving to a more spread system overall, but regardless of the cause, it's scary.

And the scarier part is that if you aren’t considered a consensus elite, top-of-the-draft by now guy, except for Watson (and maybe Flacco), then it’s best avoided.   Darnold and Rosen are the only 2 consensus guys who are consistently placed at the top.   Even that doesn’t guarantee they are locks but that’s a major flag for both Allen and Mayfield given the concerns raised aren’t due to them flying under the radar and are well documented.

I posted this from the College thread back in November (it's waaaay back there now lol, page 20, so here it is for those that haven't been following it that long:

Are  you suggesting we have to get a franchise QB this year in Rd1, even if we whiff on Darnold/Rosen?   Because if we miss on Darnold/Rosen, the history is not pretty when teams go looking Round 1.   Let's revisit...

1: JaMarcus Russell, Raiders 
22: Brady Quinn, Browns 

3: Matt Ryan, Falcons 
18: Joe Flacco, Ravens 

1: Matthew Stafford, Lions 
5: Mark Sanchez, Jets 
17: Josh Freeman, Buccaneers 

1: Sam Bradford, Rams 
25: Tim Tebow, Broncos 

1: Cam Newton, Panthers 
8: Jake Locker, Titans 
10: Blaine Gabbert, Jaguars 
12: Christian Ponder, Vikings 

1: Andrew Luck, Colts 
2: Robert Griffin III, Redskins 
8: Ryan Tannehill, Dolphins 
22: Brandon Weeden, Browns 

16: EJ Manuel, Bills 

3: Blake Bortles, Jaguars 
22: Johnny Manziel, Browns 
32: Teddy Bridgewater, Vikings 

1: Jameis Winston, Buccaneers 
2: Marcus Mariota, Titans 

1: Jared Goff, Rams 
2: Carson Wentz, Eagles 
26: Paxton Lynch, Broncos

Now, we should recognize Deshaun Watson in the teens this past year helps the trend.  But basically, if you reach for a non-elite QB in the 1st....your franchise is sunk.   You keep being against a stopgap for next year - no one wants that as plan A.     Plan A is getting a true franchise QB...right now, the only 2 that most people (myself included) feel good about are Darnold/Rosen.   If we get them, great.   But as we covered, plan A is no lock - we are not getting better than the 3/4 pick, and with each win, we drop further back - and NYG/BUF/CLE all have us sorely outgunned in draft pick capital (and ARI/NYJ will be right there with us).  Free-agency wise, there is no franchise QB we can bid for.  We're outgunned to a greater extent.  

But Plan B has to be there.   If we don't get Plan A - then get a stopgap for 1 year and get a developmental QB in later rounds - this also allows you to move forward without investing resources that set us back another 2-3 years if we miss.  You keep questioning stopgap QB's - but we are way, way, better off not committing huge resources to a QB that isn't worth that commitment if we can't get that true franchise QB.   10M for 3-4 more W's would be an awesome result - but again, it only matters if we address the other areas on the team, because ultimately  we don't get back into contention unless we fix those areas too - a good QB covers up only so much.  We're way beyond the level that a good QB makes enough of a difference.  

Everyone wants the franchise QB.  The problem is we can't bank on them being there for us when we draft - and we have no chance in FA (EDIT: we were talking about Cousins, obv we can get other FA's).  So there has to be a plan if we don't.   That's not the preference - it's just reality.

EDIT NOW:  Now, that was when we were still calling a 6-10 or 7-9 season at worst, which put us at the 10+ range of pick or later.    And maybe Watson/Mahomes changes the trend in a more positive light.   But man, that list is scary.   Basically, if you aren't the consensus top QB taken, or a top 1-2 pick, the whiff rate is way closer to 100 percent than it is even 50 percent at 2/12 if you're willing to count Tannehill and Flacco  (while the top of the draft, top-QB taken hit rate runs at about 8/12 - and I counted Bortles, Bradford, Griffin and Russell as the misses - which in Bradford's case, is somewhat iffy, given injuries were his problem, not necessarily skill).    I'd point out Tanny & Flacco aren't near the level the hits were, either.   Obviously, Watson and Mahomes' outcomes aren't known, so they could help the odds for those not at the top a lot more..but man, that's one scary list.  

It seems incredibly evident to me that we're going QB unless we sign someone in FA. Hell, even if we do sign someone in FA we'll probably still go QB, depending on who the FA signing is. I would not be against Josh Allen in Round 2, for example, while addressing a separate need at 5.

At the same time, I would not be surprised to see us trade out of #5 if we sign a FA QB. It might even be worth our while to stockpile picks. Guys who have been around here awhile know I'm typically not a fan of trading down, but Denver would probably be wise to do so this year depending on how the FA period shakes out.

I just have a sneaking suspicion one of Rosen/Darnold is available for us at 5. Obviously subject to change, but I could easily see a situation where CLE or NYG falls in love with Allen/Mayfield and takes him ahead of us leaving one of these other guys to fall. I also believe CLE will take Barkley at 1 or 4 to pair with a QB. I don't even think it's necessarily a given that the Giants take a QB at #2 overall. I could see them instead taking a tackle since their line is a dumpster fire and Gettleman likes to build the trenches.

Assuming though, that Rosen, Darnold, Chubb, and Barkley are gone when we get to 5, and we do sign a FA QB, I think our pick will probably be Minkah Fitzpatrick or Quenton Nelson. Fitzpatrick if we cut Talib this offseason, and Nelson if we don't. A trade down is entirely possible as well if another team covets a QB and we trade around 10th, could still be in spitting distance of Nelson, Williams, McGlinchey, Roquan, or Derwin James, so I mean there's a lot of moving parts.

It all hinges on the Giants. Cleveland will almost certainly take a QB at either 1 or 4, the Colts won't take one (but could use that pick as trade bait). I hope so badly that the Giants go for a tackle or Barkley. It's the best thing that could happen for our chances.

1 hour ago, broncos67 said:

It seems incredibly evident to me that we're going QB unless we sign someone in FA. Hell, even if we do sign someone in FA we'll probably still go QB, depending on who the FA signing is. I would not be against Josh Allen in Round 2, for example, while addressing a separate need at 5.

At the same time, I would not be surprised to see us trade out of #5 if we sign a FA QB. It might even be worth our while to stockpile picks. Guys who have been around here awhile know I'm typically not a fan of trading down, but Denver would probably be wise to do so this year depending on how the FA period shakes out.

I just have a sneaking suspicion one of Rosen/Darnold is available for us at 5. Obviously subject to change, but I could easily see a situation where CLE or NYG falls in love with Allen/Mayfield and takes him ahead of us leaving one of these other guys to fall. I also believe CLE will take Barkley at 1 or 4 to pair with a QB. I don't even think it's necessarily a given that the Giants take a QB at #2 overall. I could see them instead taking a tackle since their line is a dumpster fire and Gettleman likes to build the trenches.

Assuming though, that Rosen, Darnold, Chubb, and Barkley are gone when we get to 5, and we do sign a FA QB, I think our pick will probably be Minkah Fitzpatrick or Quenton Nelson. Fitzpatrick if we cut Talib this offseason, and Nelson if we don't. A trade down is entirely possible as well if another team covets a QB and we trade around 10th, could still be in spitting distance of Nelson, Williams, McGlinchey, Roquan, or Derwin James, so I mean there's a lot of moving parts.

It all hinges on the Giants. Cleveland will almost certainly take a QB at either 1 or 4, the Colts won't take one (but could use that pick as trade bait). I hope so badly that the Giants go for a tackle or Barkley. It's the best thing that could happen for our chances.

I'm in NY listening to local media all the time.  I'll be shocked if the Giants don't go QB at 2. Just don't see any way they go a different direction 

Archived