With the 5th pick in the NFL draft the Broncos select....

Wolzen

14 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Ryan Groy was actually effective as a C when Wood left, why BUF's run game didn't really miss a beat when he went down (their pass game didn't either...but that's not saying much).    Now he could play C, or they could let Bodine play C and then move Groy to G.    The Bills also let Cordy Glenn go at LT to get a QB upgrade with the move from 1.21 to 1.12, but remember they had a plan in place for the T's that made Glenn expendable.    They had Dion Dawkins set to take over at LT and Mills to stay at RT.    None of the above is a lock to keep BUF's OL intact performance-wise, but they clearly had a plan in mind to still go all-in for QB as needed.   Incognito's situation shouldn't change that. 

Keep in mind Incognito took a pay cut before he "retired" (which happened less than a week after firing his agent, and less than a month after he took the pay cut - ironically, choosing to retire might cost him $, if BUF wants to go after his bonus $ now).   So BUF's plans for a G replacement were coming no matter what, Incognito at best .    He was in the final year of his contract, and took a pay cut to stay - so BUF was likely going to address G depth later in the draft regardless.   Their search for a QB and what they were willing to pay to move up shouldn't be affected by Incognito's status.   GM Beane & McDermott seem to be in sync on how they want to build the team, Incognito was set up to be done after 2018.  

I just can't see buffalo investing in injury liability Rosen without a solidified line.

I also am leaning against chubb at 5. Because I believe we'd need a full defensive draft interior line etc. I'd rather get the qb and build the offense.

1 hour ago, BroncoBruin said:

Jim Mora was doing Rosen a solid because Rosen doesn't want to go to Cleveland. They are extremely close, it's hilarious hearing national pundits who never paid attention to UCLA's program create the narrative of a strained dynamic between the two, could not be further from the truth. 

Mora also said he was the best player in the draft. 

I am thinking it is Rosen more and more and I took that Mora comment as truly a solid for Rosen.  What coach would like to see his kid in Cleveland vs. DEN/NewYork?

We have to go to 2 or 1 and get him. 

Elway said yesterday that he is not afraid to swing and miss.  That sounds like a QB comment.

13 minutes ago, BaldyBronco said:

I am thinking it is Rosen more and more and I took that Mora comment as truly a solid for Rosen.  What coach would like to see his kid in Cleveland vs. DEN/NewYork?

We have to go to 2 or 1 and get him. 

Elway said yesterday that he is not afraid to swing and miss.  That sounds like a QB comment.

It sounds like a Josh Allen comment.    Which is scary.   Would be ideal if someone took him off our board before we are up.

7 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

Jim Mora was doing Rosen a solid because Rosen doesn't want to go to Cleveland. They are extremely close, it's hilarious hearing national pundits who never paid attention to UCLA's program create the narrative of a strained dynamic between the two, could not be further from the truth. 

Mora also said he was the best player in the draft. 

I really don’t think he was.  The comments make zero sense in benefiting Rosen. Rosen hasn’t even been linked to Cleveland since he made comments about not playing there.  Even during the combine all indications were that the Browns were picking between Allen/Darnold.  That hasn’t changed to this day.

So how exactly were these comments beneficial to Rosen when Cleveland hasn’t even considered him in months?  The comments Mora made also didn’t make Rosen look very good.  It wasn’t like he said “If I were the Browns I’d take Darnold because he fits Jackson’s scheme better, but they wouldn’t be wrong taking Rosen either,” and just left it at that.  Instead he made it a personality/character issue.  Basically saying, Darnold will succeed in Cleveland because he’s gritty and tough and Rosen isn’t.  Then went even further and added that Rosen is a “millennial” whose difficult to coach.  

Not to say they don’t have a great relationship, you follow them more than I do.  I just don’t see how those comments did anything beneficial for Rosen.  A coach publicly questioning your toughness and coachability is never a good thing.

10 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

It sounds like a Josh Allen comment.    Which is scary.   Would be ideal if someone took him off our board before we are up.

Whatever ball he swings at, it will come with questions.  I feel like Rosen and Darnold have the right temperament to transition to the NFL.  Rosen seems to have that aloof personality like Aaron Rogers.  I played tennis growing up and while it is nothing like football, you have to have intense focus and a serious edge to compete.  Individual competition IMO is the best way to develop as a competitor.  The fact that he was elite tells me he has that ability.  When you add his toolbox in terms of the position, he to me, is the one to swing at.

Reading a Renck article, and he makes mention of the fact that he believes the Broncos are unlikely to select Nelson at 5. I've also read some stuff on the Athletic where a few people have said the same. Could be a massive smokescreen, but I get the feeling Nelson isn't a consideration at 5. As things continue to play out, I think some of the following is true:

- One of Rosen/Darnold are the QB the Broncos like the most, and if either fall to 5, however unlikely, Denver would select.

- The Broncos value Saquon Barkley above the other non-QB players with the 5th pick. This is based on some of the beat writers own words, and positional need. I think they like both Chubb and Nelson, but Barkley sits above them.

- There is a far greater likelihood of trading down than trading up. Klis has started the drip of "trade down" articles lately. The Broncos clearly like Denzel Ward, Calvin Ridley, Vita Vea, and Leighton Vander Esch. All of them have been mentioned frequently by Klis.

5 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

Reading a Renck article, and he makes mention of the fact that he believes the Broncos are unlikely to select Nelson at 5. I've also read some stuff on the Athletic where a few people have said the same. Could be a massive smokescreen, but I get the feeling Nelson isn't a consideration at 5. As things continue to play out, I think some of the following is true:

- One of Rosen/Darnold are the QB the Broncos like the most, and if either fall to 5, however unlikely, Denver would select.

- The Broncos value Saquon Barkley above the other non-QB players with the 5th pick. This is based on some of the beat writers own words, and positional need. I think they like both Chubb and Nelson, but Barkley sits above them.

- There is a far greater likelihood of trading down than trading up. Klis has started the drip of "trade down" articles lately. The Broncos clearly like Denzel Ward, Calvin Ridley, Vita Vea, and Leighton Vander Esch. All of them have been mentioned frequently by Klis.

I grew up with Troy and his twin brother in So CO.  We don't talk football, but I can tell you that he knows what he is talking about.  Not just from a reporting position IMO, but as a trusted insider. Adam still has the biggest inside edge so it is always the first place you should go if he is giving information on what the Broncos are thinking.  Troy is closing the gap quickly.  Klis also has a good window in to what they are thinking but I read him and Nicki as a 2nd source. 

All that said, Troy gives a range of opinions and none of them is gospel as misinformation is fluid.  I don't think one person in the game tells the whole truth right now.  To us or each other probably.  I guess that is what makes this fun for us, the UNKNOWN.  :)

The fact is, the odds are always greatest that a team picks where they are slotted and we should plan to pick at 5.  If we don't pick 5, it means Elway does not love any of the top 5 players as immediate impact and is full on rebuilding drafting the dudes you mention backing up or he sees the future of the franchise and pays the price to go up and get him.  Every guy on your list will be in the competition for a starting job.  Chubb/Barkley and Nelson are DAY 1 starters with zero question. 

So Elway at 5 is just taking the best player.  He won't sit and wait and hope a QB falls.  If he picks at 5, he is saying he does not want the QB.  Basing your draft on a QB falling is foolish and Russian roulette. 

30 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

I think you might be right. Elways has shown serious interest in all 5 QB's. That just seems like a gambit to raise the value of #5 for QB seeking teams. There's no way he likes them all at 5, but other teams don't know that.

Basically, what you're saying is if Rosen, Darnold and Barkley are all gone we trade down. Could be. Who knows.

10 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

I think you might be right. Elways has shown serious interest in all 5 QB's. That just seems like a gambit to raise the value of #5 for QB seeking teams. There's no way he likes them all at 5, but other teams don't know that.

Basically, what you're saying is if Rosen, Darnold and Barkley are all gone we trade down. Could be. Who knows.

I don't think there is any way that Elway says.  Ya.  5 guys.  I will take what I can get.

1 hour ago, broncos67 said:

Hernandez has to be mentioned in some circles considering their former HC is now our OL coach. Or, maybe I am being I am just being jerked off by a howler monkey underneath my desk right now.  Oh God! I have completely become southern.  I need to get back to the "D".

1 hour ago, BaldyBronco said:

I don't think there is any way that Elway says.  Ya.  5 guys.  I will take what I can get.

Yup, that's kind of my point. He might like none, one or two of the QB's with the 5th pick but no way does his draft board have the top 5 players at QB.

I'd still like to see us stay at 5 and get a truly elite player.

8 hours ago, AKRNA said:

Yup, that's kind of my point. He might like none, one or two of the QB's with the 5th pick but no way does his draft board have the top 5 players at QB.

I'd still like to see us stay at 5 and get a truly elite player.

I think we all need to settle in to BPA at 5

Saw a quote from Albert Breer in MMQB today. Essentially said that Denver is highly considering moving down, and if the QB they like isn't there at 5, they'll look to move back a few picks. He too mentioned Denzel Ward as a player Denver likes. Where there's smoke, there's fire. Very interesting on Ward. 

19 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

Saw a quote from Albert Breer in MMQB today. Essentially said that Denver is highly considering moving down, and if the QB they like isn't there at 5, they'll look to move back a few picks. He too mentioned Denzel Ward as a player Denver likes. Where there's smoke, there's fire. Very interesting on Ward. 

Especially with Elway and the Broncos.  He’s telegraphed 1st rounders for quite a few years now.  Also interesting that they’ve brought in a lot of prospects just outside the elite guys (Barkley, Chubb, Nelson). Ward and Vea come to mind.

Id still prefer staying put and taking Barkley, Chubb, or Nelson.  As I said before though, I see about 9 elite or borderline elite position players in this draft and wouldn’t be upset moving as far back as 12-13.  If they go back past 15 though I think it’s a mistake.

Archived