With the 5th pick in the NFL draft the Broncos select....

Wolzen

57 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

Just saw a tweet saying Denver is high on Darnold, Mayfield, and Chubb, and would likely take one of them if they were available at 5. If none are available at 5, Denver would look to trade down.

If you believe that, it would mean Chubb is probably the most likely pick, since I could easily see those two QBs gone by 5.

I was actually thinking this today.  I don’t doubt Denver wants a QB (if it’s the right guy) but I also think they’ve played up their interest in hopes that a team would possibly jump them to knock Chubb to #5.

Its going to be an interesting Thursday.  Really hope the Jets take Mayfield now.  It seems the top 5 is shaping up to look like this.

1.1 -Darnold-Peter King mentioned a source he knows within the organization has stated that’s who they’re taking.

1.2 -Barkley.

1.3- QB.  We all know they’re going QB, but which one?  Currently it seems they’re linked to Mayfield, but Rosen would be the safer bet.

1.4- Bradley Chubb. I just don’t see them trading this pick.  They’re loaded with draft picks already and can get the #1 QB and #1 defensive player in the draft.

1.5-  If its true about Denver taking Darnold, Mayfield, or Chubb Broncos fans better be crossing their fingers that the Jets go with Mayfield.

15 minutes ago, champ11 said:

It's just gonna blow my mind if the Giants pass up on taking a QB because of 37 year old Eli freaking Manning. I still can't believe they would take a running back with that pick

Davis Webb is apparently impressing people this offseason and this week’s minicamp (but wasn’t good enough to start when they benched Eli over Geno Smith). 

Yes that was a very serious take.  I hope he looks like Jimmy G out there this week lol.   O.o

4 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Davis Webb is apparently impressing people this offseason and this week’s minicamp (but wasn’t good enough to start when they benched Eli over Geno Smith). 

Yes that was a very serious take.  I hope he looks like Jimmy G out there this week lol.   O.o

Good lord. LMAOOOOOOOOOOO

19 minutes ago, champ11 said:

Good lord. LMAOOOOOOOOOOO

Let’s face it that’s probably lying season talk.   But the G-men not going QB angle is insane.   They aren’t a legit contender.   Eli is already in decline.   This is either a testament to their ability to keep an airtight cone of silence or they are kinda nuts in a groupthink kind of way.  

I’ll believe the G-men pass on QB when the pick is announced.  No sooner.  

3 hours ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

I fully admit it’s a bias from spending time with the kid. I was the AF sports Doc in the Wyoming sidelines when they played at USAFA this past fall and when he got hurt. What I saw impressed me. The kid obviously knew both his playbook and his opponent inside and out. He was coaching his backup. He was a true leader and had the respect of everyone on that sideline. 

The incompletions are concerning but I’m looking into the context of it.  A lot of his incompletions were the result of his receivers running the wrong routes. Their offense has a lot of route tree options (similar to an NFL offense). He talked about throwing with anticipation when a receiver makes his cut but he definitely was sight throwing out there. I’m not sure if that’s his instincts taking over or waiting to make sure his teammates made the correct read. I’m more willling to forgive a guy who is trying to win football games and makes mistakes when pressing rather than one who just doesn’t know how to read the field.

The improvement he showed between the end of the season and the senior bowl and then the senior bowl and the combine in his footwork shows me a kid who works hard and takes coaching well (aka not Paxton Lynch)

maybe I’m also biased by the Tom vs Time documentary but I want a QB who eat sleep and breathes football. This kid does. 

Good info. He's the only QB I see out there that has the physical gifts to be something special. If you've got great belief in your coaching staff (+Kubiak) and can give him a year he could end up being the best of the bunch.

2 hours ago, jolly red giant said:

The more I see the antics of Mayfield the less I like the idea of picking him

1 hour ago, thebestever6 said:

What did he do now

Apparently he wasn’t prepared for his LAC interview.   Telesco could have just denied it but his silence spoke volumes.   

3 hours ago, germ-x said:

I was actually thinking this today.  I don’t doubt Denver wants a QB (if it’s the right guy) but I also think they’ve played up their interest in hopes that a team would possibly jump them to knock Chubb to #5.

Its going to be an interesting Thursday.  Really hope the Jets take Mayfield now.  It seems the top 5 is shaping up to look like this.

1.1 -Darnold-Peter King mentioned a source he knows within the organization has stated that’s who they’re taking.

1.2 -Barkley.

1.3- QB.  We all know they’re going QB, but which one?  Currently it seems they’re linked to Mayfield, but Rosen would be the safer bet.

1.4- Bradley Chubb. I just don’t see them trading this pick.  They’re loaded with draft picks already and can get the #1 QB and #1 defensive player in the draft.

1.5-  If its true about Denver taking Darnold, Mayfield, or Chubb Broncos fans better be crossing their fingers that the Jets go with Mayfield.

Why would Bronco fans be crossing their fingers that we miss out on a top tier quarterback?

Mayfield and Rosen are the two surest bets at QB this year, we would be lucky to have either.

3 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Apparently he wasn’t prepared for his LAC interview.   Telesco could have just denied it but his silence spoke volumes.   

Do people see that at a negative? Really? As a Broncos fan, I love it. Fuel the rivalry. Rivers/Mayfield would have legendary arguments and clashes of competitiveness.

Mayfield knows he's going no lower than #5, I'm sure the team and his good friend Kubiak have told him how find they are of him, he has no reason to waste his time with lesser teams like the Chargers. 

5 minutes ago, Ahhlucas said:

Why would Bronco fans be crossing their fingers that we miss out on a top tier quarterback?

Mayfield and Rosen are the two surest bets at QB this year, we would be lucky to have either.

No one should want Mayfield. 

10 minutes ago, Ahhlucas said:

Do people see that at a negative? Really? As a Broncos fan, I love it. Fuel the rivalry. Rivers/Mayfield would have legendary arguments and clashes of competitiveness.

Mayfield knows he's going no lower than #5, I'm sure the team and his good friend Kubiak have told him how find they are of him, he has no reason to waste his time with lesser teams like the Chargers. 

Looks like he has the ability to properly prioritize and manage his time to me 

54 minutes ago, Ahhlucas said:

43 minutes ago, champ11 said:

Looks like he has the ability to properly prioritize and manage his time to me 

All jokes on the Charger / Bronco rivalry aside - if Mayfield didn’t think it wasn’t important - he’s better off just declining a visit.  It’s a time waster for everyone involved.    

If this was the only time...or 2nd time...he probably gets a pass.  It’s just we get this...a lot with him.   This was unnecessary it wasn’t like LAC did anything to him yet he blew them off.    And before we think Telesco is making up an issue - it’s in LAC’s interest to have as many QB go early.   Telesco would be better served talking up Mayfield to keep his stock high so Lamar Jackson also goes before LAC - that deepens their nonQB pool (T, DT or ILB for them).   So for him to respond as he did, well I give that a lot of credibility.   

Now again if the talent was unquestionably worth the 1.5 pick I could set that issue aside.   Just not quite there on the talent side.   I do agree his ceiling is far lower than Allen's.    Allen’s flaws are seldom fixed at this level though.   It’s why I feel good about Darnold / Rosen their strengths are the ones that translate to NFL success - accuracy, timing, placement and ability to throw guys open.  

Archived