With the 5th pick in the NFL draft the Broncos select....

Wolzen

Ya, I wasn't not quite aware of the advanced stats on Cousins. He certainly is impressive there.

Am I correct in the below? Can we get this much cap space?

Initial - 24M

Rollover - 11M

Cuts (Talib +11M, Watson +5.8M, CJ +4.5M, Kerr +1.5M, Huerman/Garcia/Siemien +0.7M each) - 25M

TOTAL ~ 60M

That's a good chunk of money. We would need a veteran to replace Talib for cheaper, but the CB class is really deep this FA cycle. These are all guys that could probably be had 4-5M per season and due to age, and our abundance of 3CB looks, may be willing to take a 3rd seat on the depth chart: Brent Grimes, Jonathan Joseph, Tramon Williams, Shareece Wright, Brice McCain. All those guys would make great stopgap 3CB's and all are going to be affordable'ish.

Assume one of them takes 4M, we could throw 27M per season at Kirk and still have cap room for other improvements. Unless I am missing something with the cap.

16 hours ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

A bit OT, but relative to the #5 pick and our QB situation.

Am I the only one that is tempted to prefer Sam Bradford at 12-15M per season over Kirk Cousins at 25M-30M? Its an injury risk, and he isn't as aggressive with the ball, but I don't think the difference is double salary and their ages are similar. And Bradford would come on a deal with less guaranteed money, less years, more incentives. I am inclined to roll the dice on a 30 year old Bradford at 12-15M over a 34 year old Alex Smith at 18-20M too.

I just cant get over paying a non tier 1 QB in Cousins the money he will demand, all the while gutting our team to afford him.

Sam Bradford can't be relied on to play football. No reason he should be on a roster next season let alone getting paid decent money....IMO. It's much more serious than an injury "risk" with him. 

He has just about everything a QB needs (outside of height) to potentially be a franchise NFL QB. 

Ya just about everything outside of height...

And any experience playing in a pro style offense.

And the fact that despite playing in the easier to digest shotgun offense 99% of the time, he STILL had to look to the sideline for directions from his OC. Kid didn't make any calls at the LOS.

He has a good number of red flags IMO.

4 hours ago, BroncoSojia said:

The early favorite for me is Mayfield. He has just about everything a QB needs (outside of height) to potentially be a franchise NFL QB. 

You can't hate the kid.  But, I am with @BroncosFan2010 even though he rights in Swedish accents.  I think Mayfield has too many red flags #5 overall.  At 20...okay...you can take a chance like the Broncos did on P.Lynch.  But, with the #5 overall...you got to nail that pick.

49 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

And the fact that despite playing in the easier to digest shotgun offense 99% of the time, he STILL had to look to the sideline for directions from his OC. Kid didn't make any calls at the LOS.

Excellent post, couldn’t agree more.

33 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

How many QBs drafted in the first round in the past 5 years have come out of a pro style offense? Other than Winston, Luck, and Wentz(?), most played in the spread in college. You'd prefer that a QB played in a pro style offense, but it's not the deal breaker that it used to be.

Teams look for traits: Are you a leader, do you have a big enough arm to make NFL throws, are you accurate, can you go through progressions quickly and manipulate safeties with your eyes, is your pocket presence good, etc. Mayfield answers all of those questions. Most of the other stuff can be taught. 

19 minutes ago, BroncoSojia said:

How many QBs drafted in the first round in the past 5 years have come out of a pro style offense? Other than Winston, Luck, and Wentz(?), most played in the spread in college. You'd prefer that a QB played in a pro style offense, but it's not the deal breaker that it used to be.

Teams look for traits: Are you a leader, do you have a big enough arm to make NFL throws, are you accurate, can you go through progressions quickly and manipulate safeties with your eyes, is your pocket presence good, etc. Mayfield answers all of those questions. Most of the other stuff can be taught. 

Yaaaa! 

1 hour ago, jsthomp2007 said:

You can't hate the kid.  But, I am with @BroncosFan2010 even though he rights in Swedish accents.  I think Mayfield has too many red flags #5 overall.  At 20...okay...you can take a chance like the Broncos did on P.Lynch.  But, with the #5 overall...you got to nail that pick.

I'd understand this if we were talking about any other position, but QB is different. If you think a guy could be a franchise QB and he's a first round talent, does it matter where you take the guy? If he goes on to have multiple pro-bowl seasons, I don't think any fans will care where he was drafted.

Just now, BroncoSojia said:

I'd understand this if we were talking about any other position, but QB is different. If you think a guy could be a franchise QB and he's a first round talent, does it matter were you take the guy? If he goes on to have multiple pro-bowl seasons, I don't think any fans will care where he was drafted.

True!  I hope he is available in the 3rd round! 

1. New York Giants - TRADE! - Giants trade their first pick with the Denver Broncosfor their 2018 first-round pick, 2018 second-round pick, and future consideration - Josh Rosen (QB, UCLA) - Rosen is the other contender for top QB in the draft, and he has a real chance to go first overall. However, while Rosen is obviously talented and the most mechanically sound of the prospects, there are concerns about him as well. The Giants are less desperate for a quarterback than the Broncos currently are, and the opportunity to add picks while staying in the Top-5 is an attractive one for a team that wants to add talent at a variety of spots.

I saw this on a mock draft tonight. I would be excited if this was what we did

Archived