With the 5th pick in the NFL draft the Broncos select....

Wolzen

31 minutes ago, BullsandBroncos said:

I've been seeing many mock drafts and speculation of us drafting Denzel Ward and I can't think of a more stupid move. We have Roby and signed Johnson and the other corners have more time under their belts. 

I don't see him as a #1 CB. I don't think his size and skill set transfer well into the NFL on the outside. Just my opinion.

2 hours ago, AKRNA said:

I don't see him as a #1 CB. I don't think his size and skill set transfer well into the NFL on the outside. Just my opinion.

I get the size concern, but it isn't like he is tiny.  Ward is 5'11".  Some of the best CB's in the NFL are 6 foot or under (Chris Harris Jr. being one of them).  His looseness, mirror ability, and speed are exceptional.  There will be times a bigger receiver gets the better of him, but I don't think it will be like every big receiver dominates him.  Ward is almost never out of position from what I've seen and if he happens to be he has the closing burst to make up the difference.

I don't think Denver should take him at #5, but I wouldn't be completely upset with it.  He's a hell of a player.  Love the fact that he plays the run as hard as he does as well.  Soft CB's are usually a turn off for me, Ward isn't that type of guy.  He's going to be good.

10 minutes ago, germ-x said:

I get the size concern, but it isn't like he is tiny.  Ward is 5'11".  Some of the best CB's in the NFL are 6 foot or under (Chris Harris Jr. being one of them).  His looseness, mirror ability, and speed are exceptional.  There will be times a bigger receiver gets the better of him, but I don't think it will be like every big receiver dominates him.  Ward is almost never out of position from what I've seen and if he happens to be he has the closing burst to make up the difference.

I don't think Denver should take him at #5, but I wouldn't be completely upset with it.  He's a hell of a player.  Love the fact that he plays the run as hard as he does as well.  Soft CB's are usually a turn off for me, Ward isn't that type of guy.  He's going to be good.

No doubt he'll be very good. He'd be a roster upgrade in the nickel immediately. Love his toughness too.  I just don't see him as a lockdown CB. Large WR's of which there are many now will give him fits. He won't be winning those jump balls.

I don't like him at 5. Top of the teens and he'd be a great get.

7 hours ago, germ-x said:

I would be interested to see how many of the successful 'shorter' corners have a taller counterpart across from them, similar to the way that Talib (I guess only 6'1") was across from Chris Harris Jr. Basically what I am saying is you could have two spectacular 5'11" corners and compete well between the 20's but I think that would pose a problem in the red zone with some of the taller receivers in the league.

1 hour ago, Royal_VT said:

I would be interested to see how many of the successful 'shorter' corners have a taller counterpart across from them, similar to the way that Talib (I guess only 6'1") was across from Chris Harris Jr. Basically what I am saying is you could have two spectacular 5'11" corners and compete well between the 20's but I think that would pose a problem in the red zone with some of the taller receivers in the league.

What is a fee inches if he has a long wing span like Chris Harris? Like Chris Harris went a couple of years without giving up a TD.

I will say this now - if Elway doesn't take Darnold/Allen/Mayfield/Chubb at 1.5, or doesn't trade down - I'll tip my hat to the Dove Valley PR machine.   They're doing one helluva job for a smokescreen (same with the Jets & Mayfield with their 1.3 pick, same level of internal consistency).

1 hour ago, jsthomp2007 said:

What is a fee inches if he has a long wing span like Chris Harris? Like Chris Harris went a couple of years without giving up a TD.

True you can make up the height deficiency with wing span / vertical, but mind you Harris wasn't playing on the outside much during that span. I think it just seems dangerous to employ a trio of CB below 6 foot tall because it could be exploited by teams. The Chargers have some tall *** receivers!

17 hours ago, jsthomp2007 said:

Home runs are great, grand slams are better. With Barkley you get three positions in one, which is a triple. But he brings up the level of play for the offense and defense, ergo, I will use the intangible as the forth run in. 

Inside the park Grand Slam!

God the talk heating up about how much we apparently like Baker Mayfield is really, really starting to worry me. Maybe it is just one day away jitters but there is so much smoke coming out about it that I'm getting scared Elway & Co. are going to make that monumental mistake tomorrow night. 

All I can hope for is that a) it's a smokescreen or b) the noise about the Jets preferring him and planning to take him at No. 3 is legit and that's what happens. That first ~30 minutes or so tomorrow night before the Jets pick is announced is going to be nerve wracking, good thing I'll be at my bar. 

5 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

God the talk heating up about how much we apparently like Baker Mayfield is really, really starting to worry me. Maybe it is just one day away jitters but there is so much smoke coming out about it that I'm getting scared Elway & Co. are going to make that monumental mistake tomorrow night. 

All I can hope for is that a) it's a smokescreen or b) the noise about the Jets preferring him and planning to take him at No. 3 is legit and that's what happens. That first ~30 minutes or so tomorrow night before the Jets pick is announced is going to be nerve wracking, good thing I'll be at my bar. 

Mayfield will probably get the best reactions from Broncos Country over any other pick. I already said I'm all in on Mayfield if we call his name lol

Just now, champ11 said:

Mayfield will probably get the best reactions from Broncos Country over any other pick. I already said I'm all in on Mayfield if we call his name lol

Heck I am all in on anyone whose name we call.

16 hours ago, AKRNA said:

Agree, Elway will be prioritizing length in his annual CB draft pick after letting go of Talib.

Archived