With the 5th pick in the NFL draft the Broncos select....

Wolzen

1 hour ago, Wolzen said:
  1. New York Giants - TRADE! - Giants trade their first pick with the Denver Broncosfor their 2018 first-round pick, 2018 second-round pick, and future consideration - Josh Rosen (QB, UCLA) - Rosen is the other contender for top QB in the draft, and he has a real chance to go first overall. However, while Rosen is obviously talented and the most mechanically sound of the prospects, there are concerns about him as well. The Giants are less desperate for a quarterback than the Broncos currently are, and the opportunity to add picks while staying in the Top-5 is an attractive one for a team that wants to add talent at a variety of spots.

I saw this on a mock draft tonight. I would be excited if this was what we did

That's a great deal...but it's not rooted in reality.  The #40 pick isn't in any way, shape or form close to move from #5 to #2.   We'd likely have to either give up our 2019 1st, or trade something that the Giants value and is reasonably priced (so no, Talib alone isn't getting their interest, and besides, CB isn't their area they are looking for).    

In that trade scenario we are only 500 points off. That would basically be next year second. And as for Baker Mayfield I feel like he's going to be a huge bust. I feel like Baker and Paxton or the same except for height. I'd be disappointed if they drafted Baker. 

8 minutes ago, Wolzen said:

In that trade scenario we are only 500 points off. That would basically be next year second. And as for Baker Mayfield I feel like he's going to be a huge bust. I feel like Baker and Paxton or the same except for height. I'd be disappointed if they drafted Baker. 

https://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp

Do you mean 500 pts off including the 2017 1.5 and 2018 2.40?  Because that’s what the gap is with that offer.   You are forgetting the other principle that a future 1st gets valued like a present year early 2nd  not present year value.  

I share the concerns at standing pat at 1.5 for QB but I think adding a 2019 2nd to 1.5 and 2.40 doesn’t get us to 1.2.   Whatever mock put that original offer  isn’t rooted in reality it’s not even close to reflecting values esp when you factor in which player it gets you.  

22 minutes ago, Wolzen said:

I've never seen Paxton look off a safety comparing him and Mayfield is crazy. I'm not saying he doesn't have some question marks but they are night and day to Lynch.  I'd love to either get Barkley at five, or trade down and get Nelson closer to 10 than trade up in the late first and select Mayfield or Allen. Or stay put in round 2 and get Lamar Jackson. Imagine these hauls.

Nelson, Jackson, best ot prospect remaining, or a rb like Michel or Penny

Barkley, and Allen, or Mayfield

Nelson, Mayfield, Penny.

Pick #5 is pretty rarified air and a great chance to really improve your football team. Dominant players at all positions are available there. There should be no question in your mind that the player you draft will be pro-bowl/all pro caliber for a long time. It's not the place for a reach. A mistake here pretty much insures you'll continue drafting top 5 for a long time.

I don't see any offensive skill players available at 5 that meet the above criteria. Barkley probably, but we've got more than one serviceable RB right now. Anyway, with a dumpster fire at OL, both starters and depth, how much will a QB or RB really elevate this team.

Anyway, I wouldn't mind seeing us trade down a bit in the 1st and trade back up into the 1st with our 2nd. Right now we've got the 5th and 37th pick. That's about the same value as the 10th and 18th. With guys like Nelson, Williams, Vea, Hurst................. on the board you can probably get two of them. Just think how a Connor Williams, Vita Vea 1st round would improve this team.

27 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

Pick #5 is pretty rarified air and a great chance to really improve your football team. Dominant players at all positions are available there. There should be no question in your mind that the player you draft will be pro-bowl/all pro caliber for a long time. It's not the place for a reach. A mistake here pretty much insures you'll continue drafting top 5 for a long time.

I don't see any offensive skill players available at 5 that meet the above criteria. Barkley probably, but we've got more than one serviceable RB right now. Anyway, with a dumpster fire at OL, both starters and depth, how much will a QB or RB really elevate this team.

Anyway, I wouldn't mind seeing us trade down a bit in the 1st and trade back up into the 1st with our 2nd. Right now we've got the 5th and 37th pick. That's about the same value as the 10th and 18th. With guys like Nelson, Williams, Vea, Hurst................. on the board you can probably get two of them. Just think how a Connor Williams, Vita Vea 1st round would improve this team.

We have the 40th pick in the 2nd.

3 hours ago, AKRNA said:

I'd agree with this mindset. Lets be honest there's a huge problem with Denver going forward. That's they have a top 5 d so do they risk wasting that and get the most pro ready plug and play guys in here examples are Cousins, Smith, Eli,or trade up for Darnold or Rosen. Or do they take the long view.  I'm talking load up on the team talent first 2 rounds. Use a third and change to draft lamar Jackson mid second.  His skill set translates to instant offense. You just wanna see growth to play well in big games. He can grow into a better player tyrod taylor is. If the Taylor route crosses our minds I'd go for Jackson.  

5 hours ago, AKRNA said:

Well if it’s a franchise QB it’d elevate this team more so than any other position that could be selected.  

I get what your saying.  But, if Denver thinks Allen or Mayfield is a legitimate high caliber QB that’s the pick over a Nelson or Williams or even Barkley.  

QBs drive this league and until Denver gets one they’ll never be a legitimate contender.

48 minutes ago, germ-x said:

Well if it’s a franchise QB it’d elevate this team more so than any other position that could be selected.  

I get what your saying.  But, if Denver thinks Allen or Mayfield is a legitimate high caliber QB that’s the pick over a Nelson or Williams or even Barkley.  

QBs drive this league and until Denver gets one they’ll never be a legitimate contender.

I don't know what @AKRNA has seen to make him/her believe that we can get by with the QBs we have ATM. You CANNOT win consistently in this league w/o a good QB and we may have had the worst QB situation in the league this year.

39 minutes ago, BroncoSojia said:

I don't know what @AKRNA has seen to make him/her believe that we can get by with the QBs we have ATM. You CANNOT win consistently in this league w/o a good QB and we may have had the worst QB situation in the league this year.

I don't think I've ever said that. Our QB's sorta suck.

I just don't want to reach for a QB hoping you can cure his flaws when so many other players, Nelson for 1, can step in the first day and contribute at a very high level.

I don't want to spend $25-30 million a year on one either.

10 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

I don't think I've ever said that. Our QB's sorta suck.

I just don't want to reach for a QB hoping you can cure his flaws when so many other players, Nelson for 1, can step in the first day and contribute at a very high level.

I don't want to spend $25-30 million a year on one either.

I do not disagree with that.  At #5 Denver has to get the pick right.  But, if they believe there is a franchise QB in this draft it has to be the pick.

An OG has never carried a team to a SB.  Steve Hutchinson hell Joe Thomas as well are some of the best offensive lineman in history, but when push comes to shove they don’t drastically move the needle when it comes to wins/losses.

If a guy like Nelson or Williams is the BPA at #5 I have no issue taking them, but damn that’s a crap year to end up with a top 5 pick.

Archived