The Jon Gruden Thread, Man

BackinBlack

1 hour ago, NickButera said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgoK3O3Skww

"We need to give Carr more responsibility at the line of scrimmage...like drew brees or peyton manning"

"I think he's more athletic than people think"

Remember, Gannon ran for 500 yards and 4 TD's one year. I just hope it doesn't lead to him getting hurt again. 

Carr doesn't run much, but when he does he's not a very smart runner. Off the top of my head I don't remember him sliding before. I do remember him going full superman against the Saints, and trying to stiff arm Pacman Jones lol. 

Hopefully they work with him to be safe when running. He has some wheels though when in the open field.

2 hours ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Carr doesn't run much, but when he does he's not a very smart runner. Off the top of my head I don't remember him sliding before. I do remember him going full superman against the Saints, and trying to stiff arm Pacman Jones lol. 

Hopefully they work with him to be safe when running. He has some wheels though when in the open field.

He not a fluid runner like Wilson or Cam, personally I’d like him to only run as a last resort.  

Just now, Chali21 said:

Yeah and for that reason I would prefer they not have designed runs for him. 

I agree with that, I think most people are referring to him taking off when the play breaks down and getting yards and First downs with his feet if no one is open and there’s a lane. That and extending plays with his feet and buying time for a receiver to get open. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, OakRaiders3828 said:

I agree with that, I think most people are referring to him taking off when the play breaks down and getting yards and First downs with his feet if no one is open and there’s a lane. That and extending plays with his feet and buying time for a receiver to get open. 

I'd like him to run like Big Ben does. Extend the play if needed.  Or if there's a lane then take what the defense gives you.  Just be smart about not getting hit.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I'm excited to see what Gruden/Olson can do with Conner Cook. Gruden was high on him coming out. Cook has a world of arm talent and seems like a guy who needs refinement to his game. 

From the little we've seen thus far from Cook, I think he's a minimal NFL talent and don't see him lasting much in this league. It will be interesting to see how Gruden and Co. feel about him. I don't think we can just point to sensationalized TV Jon Gruden's remarks about a prospect 3-4 years ago, and act like Jon Gruden the coach will the same today.

Backup QB development will be huge, though. Carr has suffered various injuries throughout his four years. He is somewhat injury prone.

1 hour ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

From the little we've seen thus far from Cook, I think he's a minimal NFL talent and don't see him lasting much in this league. It will be interesting to see how Gruden and Co. feel about him. I don't think we can just point to sensationalized TV Jon Gruden's remarks about a prospect 3-4 years ago, and act like Jon Gruden the coach will the same today.

Backup QB development will be huge, though. Carr has suffered various injuries throughout his four years. He is somewhat injury prone.

Cook definitely has talent Grunden will see what he has in him, may turn him into a tradeable asset.

tea leaves continuing to point to Lynch not returning. bummer.

first at his press conference, Gruden didn't really seem too enthused about lynch on the field. he "looked forward to talking to him" but didnt say anything about coaching him, what he can bring to the team... and today Olson apparently dodged the 1 question about Lynch's fit in the offense during a conference call. but he spent plenty of time talking about Carr

1 minute ago, raiderrocker18 said:

tea leaves continuing to point to Lynch not returning. bummer.

first at his press conference, Gruden didn't really seem too enthused about lynch on the field. he "looked forward to talking to him" but didnt say anything about coaching him, what he can bring to the team... and today Olson apparently dodged the 1 question about Lynch's fit in the offense during a conference call. but he spent plenty of time talking about Carr

Maybe because he will be working with Carr and HC hasn't spoken to Lynch yet. Only to say I don't think any of those things point one way or another.

• Like 1