The Jon Gruden Thread, Man

BackinBlack

"It hurts when something sucky happens to someone you care about. We weren't good enough for him," Carr said after Sunday's game. "We have to take our ownership as players and I think that's where we're at right now. We're kind of angry that we let it get to that and we're upset at ourselves. We understand the business part of it. But as players -- I talked with Khalil (Mack) -- our job is to come back better and hungry. We've been through some hard times together, and this is right up there with it."

Marshawn Lynch, who came out of retirement to sign with the Raiders before the season, said: "It's a business."

Mack, named to his third straight Pro Bowl, said of Del Rio's firing: "I'll keep my thoughts to myself."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21928301/oakland-raiders-fire-coach-jack-del-rio

If Gruden is hired does Downing stay?  Downing has potential but needs time.  He was horrible as an OC but does an offensive head coach mask those issues and allow him to grow with our QB.  I want what is best for the team and have no allegiance to Downing.  I would love to see HC Gruden - DC Pagano - OC Reich but that is a pipe dream.  Pagano and Reich will be HC candidates this year or next.  Who ever comes in needs to give Pagano the opportunity to run this defense.  The only way I want to see him let go is if a top notch DC comes in. 

Edited by drfrey13

2 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

If Gruden is hired does Downing stay?  Downing has potential but needs time.  He was horrible as an OC but does an offensive head coach mask those issues and allow him to grow with our QB.  I want what is best for the team and have no allegiance to Downing.  I would love to see HC Gruden - DC Pagano - OC Reich but that is a pipe dream.  Pagano and Reich will be HC candidates this year or next.  Who ever comes in needs to give Pagano the opportunity to run this defense.  The only way I want to see him let go is if a top notch DC comes in. 

Jon’s  best talent is evaluating coaches.

Look at the offensive coaches his last year

JDR went out with class and I’m thankful for his contributions to rebuilding the Raiders. Everything went our way last year and really set the expectation level high. We couldn’t meet those levels this year and a lack of experience at OC and DC was probably the major factor in his departure. 

Intersting few months ahead.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Dessie said:

JDR went out with class and I’m thankful for his contributions to rebuilding the Raiders. Everything went our way last year and really set the expectation level high. We couldn’t meet those levels this year and a lack of experience at OC and DC was probably the major factor in his departure. 

Intersting few months ahead.

I co-sign this. You could really chart the culture shift within the building in how the leaders, and even guys like Sean Smith, reacted to his firing. The man is a professional, class act, and worthy of a place in the NFL.

• Like 2

I have no sympathy for JDR he did it to himself.

In four years Carr had three different OC, WTF that’s the fast way to ruin a young QB.

OK people will make the argument that JDR  is a defense of coach then how do you explain Ken Norton Jr?

Reggie is the real person that’s going to pay the price for this.

He hired 2 HC that failed and owes JDR 15 million in guaranteed money from the extension is signed  last year .

add in his poor drafts over the last two years and it’s not looking good for him right now.

41 minutes ago, Rolni said:

Gus Bradley was another name thrown in for that DC spot.

Looks good so far.

Hopefully Gruden can put together a quality staff and put Carr back on track. 

I would prefer Bradley over Guenther, he's done a better job in both SEA and LA and is a guy I'd like to have to put Mack in good positions.

1 hour ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

I have no sympathy for JDR he did it to himself.

In four years Carr had three different OC, WTF that’s the fast way to ruin a young QB.

OK people will make the argument that JDR  is a defense of coach then how do you explain Ken Norton Jr?

Reggie is the real person that’s going to pay the price for this.

He hired 2 HC that failed and owes JDR 15 million in guaranteed money from the extension is signed  last year .

add in his poor drafts over the last two years and it’s not looking good for him right now.

You think Reggie gave him that extension ? Wake up Bit that was all Mark Davis that was his guy