The Jon Gruden Thread, Man

BackinBlack

12 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Del Rio isn't a bad guy. He deserves success somewhere, but Downing really killed him. I wish him the best.

That being said, I'm excited to potentially get Gruden/Gannon on board.

Having Ken Norton as DC for 3 years killed him.

7 minutes ago, SimonGruber said:

If Gruden isn’t picking the players I’l be more cool with it but I’m lukewarm overall if it was up to him we would have Johnny football lmao 

1 minute ago, billking said:

Hopefully Mark gets it done with only Gruden picking staff and only some input on player personnel. Can't believe he thought Johnny football would be a good pick.

As a TV personality Gruda had to say something, it doesn’t mean that’s who he would have  picked.

6 minutes ago, SimonGruber said:

If Gruden isn’t picking the players I’l be more cool with it but I’m lukewarm overall if it was up to him we would have Johnny football lmao 

Well, I'd hope and pray that Gurden knows the difference between giving color commentary with the aim of being interesting on TV and building a football team. If he knows the difference, he never actually would have picked Manziel. Really. Knowing the value of your picks and draft slot is one of many parts of running a draft. Does he really have no clue, and would have picked Manziel fifth? Or was it just his uber positive everything is amazing TV persona? 

Also I need to add this. Consider that if he is hired it's a part of navigating the next two years of "moving to Las Vegas" dysfunction. Like the Lynch thing but bigger. Gotta keep selling the tickets and hiding the ugly situation. Let's just hope Raider fans actually benefit, that he can still coach and run a team, and that there is some sort of intelligent long lasting power structure on the team and restored accountability throughout the organization. 

Just now, holyghost said:

Well, I'd hope and pray that Gurden knows the difference between giving color commentary with the aim of being interesting on TV and building a football team. If he knows the difference, he never actually would have picked Manziel. Really. Knowing the value of your picks and draft slot is one of many parts of running a draft. Does he really have no clue, and would have picked Manziel fifth? Or was it just his uber positive everything is amazing TV persona? 

Also I need to add this. Consider that if he is hired it's a part of navigating the next two years of "moving to Las Vegas" dysfunction. Like the Lynch thing but bigger. Gotta keep selling the tickets and hiding the ugly situation. Let's just hope Raider fans actually benefit, that he can still coach and run a team, and that there is some sort of intelligent long lasting power structure on the team and restored accountability throughout the organization. 

Yeah it wasn’t just the Johnny football love if I’m not mistaken he was picking the players Tampa right ?

I dont get the hate on Gruden here.

Say what you will about him as a player personnel guy but...

He's a terrific coach. We'd likely be running a complex west coast offense. Advanced route patterns, timing based passing game, playaction with designed bootlegs, heavy use of backs in the passing game, power blocking run scheme, lots of pre-snap motion. His scheme is nearly ideal for our offense and Derek.

And everyone saying "he's been away too long." Seriously? He calls games, he runs a film academy thats better than most nfl teams, and he runs draft camps. He's been wanted in college and the pros. The game has hardly passed him by.

I hope we keep Pagano; the turnaround on defense has been marked and I think he can really take us to another level next year. As for Head Coach, I am hoping for Josh McDaniels - a youngish coach who has experienced what it is to be a HC, made mistakes and hopefully learned from them and got some decent production at times (iirc) from Tebow - he could work wonders with Carr & Co I think.

I would have been rooting for Gruden five years ago, but I do wonder if he is just a bit too far removed from play-calling and while he will have kept himself abreast of developments it doesn't mean that he would still call plays effectively - I have a bad feeling about the potential Gruden situation.

Josh McDaniels still Interests me.

I really just want a coach that will use Cooper like he should. dude should be up there in tip 10 but was severely misused this year. Also carr rarely looked down field at all this season was such a 10 or less yard passing game so vanilla. We added patterson and cook that should of been huge!

9 minutes ago, riceman80 said:

I dont get the hate on Gruden here.

Say what you will about him as a player personnel guy but...

He's a terrific coach. We'd likely be running a complex west coast offense. Advanced route patterns, timing based passing game, playaction with designed bootlegs, heavy use of backs in the passing game, power blocking run scheme, lots of pre-snap motion. His scheme is nearly ideal for our offense and Derek.

And everyone saying "he's been away too long." Seriously? He calls games, he runs a film academy thats better than most nfl teams, and he runs draft camps. He's been wanted in college and the pros. The game has hardly passed him by.

to me it's alot of nostalgia. I loved gruden wish he didn't leave we prob win super bowl with him. great offensive mind. we shall see

Edited by roi34

Just now, roi34 said:

to me it's alot of nostalgia. I loved gruden wish he didn't leave we prob win super bowl with him. great offensive mind. correct me if I'm wrong but didn't he have personnel decisions in TB and that team went downhill fast.

Yes. His picks ended up being his downfall. I love him as a coach tho. Fwiw, he inherited a very old roster in Tampa. The year after they won the Super Bowl they had 20+ players 30 or older.

Im praying Reggie isnt let go cuz id be ecstatic with a McKenzie/Gruden combo.