The Jon Gruden Thread, Man

BackinBlack

3 hours ago, BayRaider said:

I don't mind the franchise trading for AB but I HATE that they changed draft plans because of AB. If we didn't trade for AB, no doubt in my mind we draft a WR in the 1st. Probably Hollywood. Free Agents should never change draft needs, unless you are a Top 5 Super Bowl contender. 

Anyways, I know it's gonna be a rough year guys but we all know that as soon as Khalil was traded this team was in full fledged rebuild mode and we'd be terrible in 2018, 2019, and probably .500 at best in 2020. If 2021 and beyond we are a Super Bowl contending team, it was well worth the wait. Only time will tell...

Just being real here... this team won't even sniff the playoffs any time in the next decade. This is a losing franchise with a losing owner. That's a constant.

The Raiders have been "rebuilding" since 2004. Why should we be encouraged they get it right in the next decade?

Nothing Gruden has done to date has inspired any confidence. Terrible trades, terrible draft selections, terrible coaching hires. He's offensive focused to a fault. He will be playing musical chairs with his QBs until the day he "retires" again.

My predication... After another 4 win season (2019) He'll make desperate moves trying to get to .500 in 2020 that will cost the team. He'll have another 5-6 win season and that will be the breaking point for him. He'll retire back to the both after year 3. So by 2021, we'll be starting all over again.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Just being real here... this team won't even sniff the playoffs any time in the next decade. This is a losing franchise with a losing owner. That's a constant.

The Raiders have been "rebuilding" since 2004. Why should we be encouraged they get it right in the next decade?

Nothing Gruden has done to date has inspired any confidence. Terrible trades, terrible draft selections, terrible coaching hires. He's offensive focused to a fault. He will be playing musical chairs with his QBs until the day he "retires" again.

My predication... After another 4 win season (2019) He'll make desperate moves trying to get to .500 in 2020 that will cost the team. He'll have another 5-6 win season and that will be the breaking point for him. He'll retire back to the both after year 3. So by 2021, we'll be starting all over again.

Mark Davis is a moron. 10 year contract? Jim Harbaugh probably bout to come back... we saw what he did with the Niners. 

I wanted Jim Schwartz after we fired Del Rio. His defenses at the time were lights out and I feel Detroit FO never gave him what he needed. I didn’t think the Gruden hire was a “bad hire” though. Just not the “best hire”.

Gruden wouldn’t retire until at least after year six IMO, too much money on the line. The first chance he might get fired is after year 5. So we have at least three more Gruden years and have to hope for the best. 

I’m hoping he hires Jay as OC. Jay practically runs Jons system despite some modifications and he’s a way better play caller than Jon and better with QBs than Jon. Only thing Jon has over Jay is that fiery spirit/motivation that a Head Coach needs. 

Hopefully Mayocks drafts come together nicely, and maybe we’ll get a new QB as well. Gruden should get at least two QBs during his tenure here to prove himself. One being his own. 

It could fail miserably but it’s also entirely possible we could win the Super Bowl in 2022-2023. Just have to see how it all unfolds.  

Just now, BayRaider said:

Mark Davis is a moron. 10 year contract? Jim Harbaugh probably bout to come back... we saw what he did with the Niners. 

Also seeing what he's doing for Michigan. But I do like Harbaugh.

1 minute ago, BayRaider said:

I didn’t think the Gruden hire was a “bad hire” though. Just not the “best hire”.

It was a bad hire. We all wanted to believe it wasn't, but it was and will play out as such. The "2nd go round" coaching thing never works. Parcells, Gibbs, Jimmy Johnson the list goes on.

It was a typical Raiders hire. Reaching for nostalgia on a coach who hadn't been on a sideline in a decade. It's wasn't a winning hire. And a hire that points to an organization less focused on the future and creating a winner and more on the past where they used to be relevant.

Only a matter of time before players tire of his shtick

4 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Gruden wouldn’t retire until at least after year six IMO, too much money on the line.

He can roll back into any TV job and make his money. There is nothing on the line but his ego. It's to fragile to endure 3 losing seasons. More so when he finally realizes he has ZERO direction for the team and NO vision. 

6 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I’m hoping he hires Jay as OC

He needs to, but he won't hire an OC. And he's suppose to be an offensive genius...you think his ego will admit he sucks as a play call caller and hand off to his brother to prove him right? Yeah, me neither.

If he hired a legit play caller, it would signal a direction and growth in him, I'll say that.

8 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Hopefully Mayocks drafts come together nicely, and maybe we’ll get a new QB as well. Gruden should get at least two QBs during his tenure here to prove himself. One being his own. 

Gruden is running the early round picks. That's beyond obvious. And he'll get a chance on a couple QBs but look for him to settle on a reclamation project. 

9 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

It could fail miserably but it’s also entirely possible we could win the Super Bowl in 2022-2023. Just have to see how it all unfolds.  

It "could" fail miserably? It already has. It's like a recession.. you don't feel it until you 6 months into it. It's already over. We're just along for the ride now. There is zero vision for this team. No direction. Gruden was suppose to be a offensive genius and his offense looks rooted in a bygone era. He will continue to make desperate move to try and build a winner that will be a detriment to the team.

Either he 1) checks his ego, hires a play caller and OC to scheme with. Let's go control of personal decisions or 2) he catches lightning in a bottle with a QB somewhere (long odds). That is the only way to stop this ship from sinking. 

I know this is a grim outlook... but nothing and I mean NOTHING is inspiring about this team, their directions, their vision, etc. And nothing points to a culture change heading to Vegas. This is a loser franchise making loser decisions and that's just how it is. Won't change without new ownership who isn't so imbedded in Raiders lore that they can't see the changes needed to come into the new era.

• Like 2

BP on point and GREAT use of a recession in comparison as many don’t see it until it’s past. Nobody should ever get more than a 5 year contract. Hiring Gruden is us living in the past but if he had a 5 year contract Mack would have be resigned no doubt in my mind. Still might have traded Cooper had we not been in the hunt but I think the team chemistry was destroyed with that move. (Mack) 

Also think he might have gotten different coaches if he thought he could only have 3 seasons on a 5 year contract. He knows the Redskins will fire his brother and Bill c. I’d be surprised if they didn’t come to The Raiders. Jay might see it as a dumpster fire too and might prefer to go elsewhere but Jon hiring his son Duece was a sure sign that he wants to bring up his people. I think if Jon focuses on just overseeing and let coaches and Mayock do their thing, I think they could turn it around quickly, but the longer this goes on the less likely you lure the needed talent to turn it around.

if it all goes to ish then I hope you are right about Gruden calling it and walking away. The longer the Raiders suck the worse he’ll look to TV people wanting him back. However after seeing MNF last year I’m shocked they didn’t offer Jon a 15 mil 10 year contract to come back. Lol I haven’t seen a MNF game to know if it got better. Not even a Thursday game either.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I really don't want to hear excuses from Gruden. You are the "offensive genius". If McVey and Shanahan are the Jedi's, then Gruden, you are suppose to be Yoda!

So scheme players open. Get your QB moving and into a flow. Don't blame a crazy person (AB) who you knew wasn't reliable from day 1.

Edited by big_palooka
  • Like 4

19 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I really don't want to hear excuses from Gruden. You are the "offensive genius". If McVey and Shanahan are the Jedi's, then Gruden, you are suppose to be Yoda!

So scheme players open. Get your QB moving and into a flow. Don't blame a crazy person (AB) who you knew wasn't reliable from day 1.

This. 

There was also some talk about how they would be fine without him because they where practicing without him. Obviously that isn’t the case. 

On 9/26/2019 at 4:03 PM, big_palooka said:

Your boy Middlekauff actually had a good read on TheAthletic about this topic.

Yeah, that was a good article by Middlekauff. He made a lot of good points. You don't see any creativity in Gruden's playcalling. I expected a lot more out of Gruden. 

Are we all ready for Jay Gruden to be on the staff next year? Have to wonder if Gruden will let Olsen go or have Jay and Olsen work together. 

Tbh I’m not all that impressed with McVay. Like Gruden he exploded on the scene as a vonderkund but since his first season teams have started to figure him out. I think the blueprint is there on how to beat them with the 6-1 defenses have been running. 

We’re seeing this with Gruden as well, there’s some pop here and there but no consistency. Gruden needs to be scheming guys open and adjusting. 

I think we were all excited to see this offense with some true weapons.  We all know that things didn't work out the way we thought.

I'm taking the only path that I can with this team.  Wait and see.  Can Gruden and Mayock upgrade the WR position in the offseason?  If so, I look for similar results in Gruden's 3rd year as there was in his 3rd year the first time around.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Gruden is doing a great job this year. Some of his play calls have been phenomenal. Far far from calling his hire a success but he’s got me believing and deserves some respect. 

I also looked at all his Tampa Bay Offensive Rosters and frickin yikes. He had some really bad talent (mostly his own fault though...)

We are seeing 98-01 Gruden right now. Hopefully he can turn this into a playoff team next year. Maybe #6 seed next year and go for the Chiefs throat in 2021. They will be in absolute cap hell. 

EDIT: Kind of funny how BP and I were quite upset after the KC/MINN games. Amazing how winning and being competitive changes things. 

Edited by BayRaider
  • Like 1

On 2019. 10. 29. at 5:24 AM, BayRaider said:

Gruden is doing a great job this year. Some of his play calls have been phenomenal. Far far from calling his hire a success but he’s got me believing and deserves some respect. 

I also looked at all his Tampa Bay Offensive Rosters and frickin yikes. He had some really bad talent (mostly his own fault though...)

We are seeing 98-01 Gruden right now. Hopefully he can turn this into a playoff team next year. Maybe #6 seed next year and go for the Chiefs throat in 2021. They will be in absolute cap hell. 

EDIT: Kind of funny how BP and I were quite upset after the KC/MINN games. Amazing how winning and being competitive changes things. 

I eat some crow...I thought he is not a good O coach anymore...right now it seems like he still has it. We have now few great plays in every game on offense. He seem to turn the O around.

I just hope he will let Mayock do his thing with the personel, because Gruden clearly sucks at that job :)

It will be interesting to see how much patience he has with PG...PG is having a pretty bad year after an awful year. Will he get a 3rd year with some actual playmakers to prove himself like Cable this year?