The Jon Gruden Thread, Man

BackinBlack

6 minutes ago, SBXISBXVSBXVIII said:

It doesn't matter if it was a long time ago. You said Gruden was the ONLY HC to make the Raiders a consistent contender under Al Davis, which is completely false. I say he's # 3 behind Madden and Flores, who would be # 1 and # 2.

I said "for a very long time".

• Like 1

I just love that very few gruden haters actually acknowledge that yes gruden won with dungys team against who? his team, his offense etc. when people want to hate, ignoring certain important facts is very convienient.lol  Gruden is a good coach....period. and no, im not talking about posters on this forum, this is pointed at the media jackwagons.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Gruden deserves some blame here for how things have gone the last month. The team has not been ready in the second half the entire years. 

He's been great at scripting the first series and has the team scoring quick at times. But from there, he has no game plan and the second half adjustments are non-existent. 

He is calling the game not to loose when he has a lead. Calling the game conservative and it's effecting his QB. Having a lead against a bad Jaguars team, he punts on 4th and 1. What message does that send? You're suppose to be bullies upfront. You have a ROTY RB and stud FB and you succumb to playing soft?

Bottom line is, this ball control offense doesn't work without a defense to support it. So you have to change up the approach and give your QB some chances to make plays. 

Is Gruden calling it conservative and Carr is carrying it out? Is he so far in Carr's head he can't play loose? Or is the offense hindered by the QBs lack of playmaking?

Either way, something has got to change. The excuses are getting old and reek of mediocrity. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Gruden deserves some blame here for how things have gone the last month. The team has not been ready in the second half the entire years. 

He's been great at scripting the first series and has the team scoring quick at times. But from there, he has no game plan and the second half adjustments are non-existent. 

He is calling the game not to loose when he has a lead. Calling the game conservative and it's effecting his QB. Having a lead against a bad Jaguars team, he punts on 4th and 1. What message does that send? You're suppose to be bullies upfront. You have a ROTY RB and stud FB and you succumb to playing soft?

Bottom line is, this ball control offense doesn't work without a defense to support it. So you have to change up the approach and give your QB some chances to make plays. 

Is Gruden calling it conservative and Carr is carrying it out? Is he so far in Carr's head he can't play loose? Or is the offense hindered by the QBs lack of playmaking?

Either way, something has got to change. The excuses are getting old and reek of mediocrity. 

Ball control offense is all about consistency as well, which we do not have.

we also commit way to many penalties for a ball control offense to work.

• Like 2

That punt on 4th and 1 was ridiculous. Like I said in the GDT he needs to grow some b@lls. He gets a little lead and completely shuts his offense down and try’s to sit on the lead. Team lacks a killer mode. That is all on Gruden and Carr. 

What he does at QB going into Vegas is gonna be interesting. Was listing to the podcast Vic does and one of them mentioned Case Keenum as the QB for Vegas as he wouldn’t be surprised. Is Gruden really gonna sit there and say we just gotta get a WR and Carr is gonna be fine. You gonna open up the season with Keenum as your starting QB... You would think for Vegas you would want a big splash at QB. Someone who that city is gonna get excited for. Do you go trade for a Cam Newton do u trade up a little to make sure you get Herbert who is really the only QB aside from Burrow that can start from day 1. Or do you take Tua put him on ice for the year and allow Carr to play another year. 

There were a lot of questions we had about Gruden after last year and I really don’t think many of them were answered this year. 

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

We've scored like 20 points in the third quarter all season. And we've only scored one TD (down by like 30 to KC) on 28 drives in the second half the last five games.

15 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

There were a lot of questions we had about Gruden after last year and I really don’t think many of them were answered this year. 

Last year the team gave up on him for trading Mack. This year the fans are turning because of Carr's conservative play. 

Gruden's offense was ALWAYS like this his first time around. After he was traded his underling coaches (Bill C. @ HC) they opened up the passing game and flourished. We've got Gruden for 8 years after this season, so how do we fix it? Gruden hires Jay and lets him run the Offense. Get a better Oline coach like Bill C. Keep the QB who knows your system (Carr) get a WR or two and build a better Defense. We still had 'hope' until the Jets spanked us. Then it got UGLY. Jon isn't 'up to speed' yet but he's good enough if he checks that EGO of his and hires better coaches. Paul could stay or go, but if we don't add talent it won't matter unless it's Greg Williams or Phillips. Both get more out of their players than other DC's.

I think punting was the right call. Jags had scored 3 points at the time. They scored 6 going into the 4th and then put together 2 straight TD drives to finish the game. That was the anti-clutch D (and overall team) in full display.

That game summed up what the Raiders have been for the last 15+ years. Missed opportunities, stupid decisions, lack of fire, bad calls by the refs, inability to make a play in critical situations, heartbreaking L! And all that against a poor opponent in the last game ever in Oakland. F that!

4 minutes ago, G said:

Last year the team gave up on him for trading Mack. This year the fans are turning because of Carr's conservative play. 

Gruden's offense was ALWAYS like this his first time around. After he was traded his underling coaches (Bill C. @ HC) they opened up the passing game and flourished. We've got Gruden for 8 years after this season, so how do we fix it? Gruden hires Jay and lets him run the Offense. Get a better Oline coach like Bill C. Keep the QB who knows your system (Carr) get a WR or two and build a better Defense. We still had 'hope' until the Jets spanked us. Then it got UGLY. Jon isn't 'up to speed' yet but he's good enough if he checks that EGO of his and hires better coaches. Paul could stay or go, but if we don't add talent it won't matter unless it's Greg Williams or Phillips. Both get more out of their players than other DC's.

I've said that in the past. Gruden needs to take a page from Andy Reid and hire an OC. Focus on what he does best and that's motivate players.

Is Jay Gruden the right hire? Can the two of the co-exist? That just sounds like a recipe for disaster. 

I don’t think gruden trust carr and I don’t think carr trust himself add to the fact carr imo knows gruden doesn’t trust him and now he’s a total head case. I knew gruden wouldn’t let carr throw on that last drive everybody knew including the defense. We’re too predictable. Teams know we have about a 20 yard box they have to defend cause carr can’t see past 20 yards

Edited by NCOUGHMAN
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, G said:

Gruden's offense was ALWAYS like this his first time around. 

Carr has also been ultra-conservative since he broke his leg. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, oakdb36 said:

I think punting was the right call. Jags had scored 3 points at the time. They scored 6 going into the 4th and then put together 2 straight TD drives to finish the game. That was the anti-clutch D (and overall team) in full display.

That game summed up what the Raiders have been for the last 15+ years. Missed opportunities, stupid decisions, lack of fire, bad calls by the refs, inability to make a play in critical situations, heartbreaking L! And all that against a poor opponent in the last game ever in Oakland. F that!

You're a 6 win team going nowhere. You're playing the last game in the history of the city. You have a talent RB and FB and a stud Oline. You play to win the game!! In that moment, on that stage... you play to win. I'm never going to be mad at a guy for trying to win a game. That play was anti-Oakland. It was embarassing.