The Jon Gruden Thread, Man

BackinBlack

1 minute ago, big_palooka said:

Is Jay Gruden the right hire? Can the two of the co-exist? That just sounds like a recipe for disaster. 

Is there any OC that can handle Gruden's potential to meddle? Jay would be the only one I think who would stand up to his brother. Jon needs someone to NOT be a 'yes man' which is why Mayock seems like a good fit.

3 minutes ago, oakdb36 said:

I think punting was the right call. Jags had scored 3 points at the time. They scored 6 going into the 4th and then put together 2 straight TD drives to finish the game. That was the anti-clutch D (and overall team) in full display.

That game summed up what the Raiders have been for the last 15+ years. Missed opportunities, stupid decisions, lack of fire, bad calls by the refs, inability to make a play in critical situations, heartbreaking L! And all that against a poor opponent in the last game ever in Oakland. F that!

Hard to blame the defense that held a team to 2 fgs going into the 3rd. Law of averages plus it’s the nfl. Jags were bound to get at least a fluke td given all the chances we gave them. 

Just now, big_palooka said:

You're a 6 win team going nowhere. You're playing the last game in the history of the city. You have a talent RB and FB and a stud Oline. You play to win the game!! In that moment, on that stage... you play to win. I'm never going to be mad at a guy for trying to win a game. That play was anti-Oakland. It was embarassing. 

I think if we go for it and don't get the 1st, everybody is calling it stupid. I don't think you see a lot of teams up by 2 scores against an offense who hasn't done much go for it in this situation.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Hard to blame the defense that held a team to 2 fgs going into the 3rd. Law of averages plus it’s the nfl. Jags were bound to get at least a fluke td given all the chances we gave them. 

There's enough blame for everybody. Just saying, it's typical Raiders football to go 3 quarters not giving up a TD only to allow 2 straight and get the L.

I think Gruden understands the lack of talent on this team. He doesn’t have Jerry Rice and Tim Brown anymore, I think he’s trying to gameplan around the talent they have. There’s a reason it took AB wanting to fight Mayock for the Raiders to cut him. If he really believed in this team then he wouldn’t have let him stay on this team as long as he did. Although I certainly believe he needs to be more aggressive in his playcalling. I think Carr can be pretty aggressive and I think a lot of his conservative moves are Gruden not wanting him to make risks that can lose the game. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rolni said:

He calls the plays not to loose...you can't win with that mindset...

Agreed, but we've seen him be aggressive in the past.

Maybe it's because of the personnel? Idk, but Gruden needs to do a much better job, especially in the 2nd half. Good god he's been awful with adjustments (20 points total in the 3rd quarter all season!!!).

• Like 1