2018 draft talk

Danand

21 hours ago, drd23 said:

I think Eric Fisher would disagree with you ;)

His performances in the Senior Bowl practices seemed to be the beginning of his rise to being the #1 overall pick

Yea exactly and he hasn't set the league on fire. I meant to say the performances of the OL seems to matter the least, relative to their ability in the league later on. Danny Watkins was another guy that played great there but then flamed out in the league. Conversely you had Rick Wagner who played like trash all week and a couple years later developed into a solid tackle.

Our own B-Will didn't play well in the Bowl either, he was on the ground way too much but we all know the kind of player he grew to be. 

4 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

As of right now my ideal draft scenario would be something like:

Round 1:

Trade down and pickup a third: Bills are stupid. For some reason they don’t like Tyrod Taylor. So they trade a third rounder away to move up and secure a QB prospect that starts to fall. Be it Baker Mayfield or Josh Allen.

1.22 (Bills): Michael Gallup, WR- Best WR in the class.

2.20: Tyrell Crosby, OT- 2nd Best OT in class. Could also flew out to LT when Stanley ultimately gets banged up.. and he might even replace him as our LT when that happens.

3.18: Nick Chubb, RB- Thunder back would upgrade the position. Pro bowl caliber talent.

3.29 (Bills): Hayden Hurst, TE- 2nd Best TE in class. Falls because he’ll be a 25 yo rookie. So was Pitta. He’s probably the most athletic TE in the class.

3.C: Bradley Bozeman, OC- 2nd Best center in the class. Nice anchor. Smart player. Has the size the Ravens are looking for. A leader along the line.

4. Darius Phillips, DB- Great return man. CB/FS versatility. Should shine on special teams.

5. Jack Cichy, ILB- Inside linebacker with athleticism and instincts. Might have gone higher if not for tearing his ACL. He’s also a little older.

6. Austin Proel, WR- Pro roots. Reliable skillset. Nice hands. Should be a special teams player and compete for a receiver position with our cast of young and unproven options.

7. Riley Ferguson, QB- Has arm strength. Quarterback for Memphis. Highly productive. Made plays. Gives the Ravens a quality option to develop with some talent.

This might be optimistic, but that would be a very nice haul from a talent standpoint. Crosby is flying all over boards atm. but I believe as well as O'neill that he is a great prospect because of his versatility.

This stuff kills me! It’s just PRACTICE. People are blowing up the boards on PRACTICES. ?

Gallup does looks good. But for the reason of him coming out of the same school Crockett Gillmore came from, I’m hesitant on taking him...especially in the 1st rd. C’mon now! If Christian Kirk, Courtland Sutton, or DJ Moore was at the Senior Bowl, I’m sure they would be the talk of town also. Gallup and Washington are the best WR’s there...by far....and they have three possible 1st rd talent QB’s throwing them the rock (Mayfield, Allen, Falk).

I mean Gallap reminds me of Marqise Lee. We can just sign Lee to a cheap deal and watch him blow up like Robert Woods did last yr for LA. 

The mock draft does look good DB. I like it a lot. I think I would want to see them draft a true FS in the 1st 4 rds though.

4 hours ago, Ballimore said:

This stuff kills me! It’s just PRACTICE. People are blowing up the boards on PRACTICES. ?

Gallup does looks good. But for the reason of him coming out of the same school Crockett Gillmore came from, I’m hesitant on taking him...especially in the 1st rd. C’mon now! If Christian Kirk, Courtland Sutton, or DJ Moore was at the Senior Bowl, I’m sure they would be the talk of town also. Gallup and Washington are the best WR’s there...by far....and they have three possible 1st rd talent QB’s throwing them the rock (Mayfield, Allen, Falk).

I mean Gallap reminds me of Marqise Lee. We can just sign Lee to a cheap deal and watch him blow up like Robert Woods did last yr for LA. 

The mock draft does look good DB. I like it a lot. I think I would want to see them draft a true FS in the 1st 4 rds though.

I wouldn’t hold Gillmore against him. Two different positions. Crockett also looked slow on tape and didn’t seem to be worthy of a third round selection. That pick seemed more about appeasing Gary Kubiak, who had ties to them than anything. Granted Gillmore did make plays, which is why I mocked him to us multiple times, but not as worthy of a third, pretty sure I had him as a 5th rounder. And he did have that one season with us where it looked like he was going to step up but then got knocked out of the season with an injury.

Anyways while I like Kirk and think he will be a great slot receiver in the NFL, I think he’s a limited player. So many of his plays in college are of him being schemed open to put him in space. What’s more he doesn’t play the boundary and is slot exclusive. What he would be is a rich man’s Campanaro. Gallup can play slot, boundary, play in space, beat press coverage, run the full route tree. He’s a similar impact to Kirk but more versatile.

Sutton, I think is overrated. Looks like a less polished Jordan Matthews coming out of Vanderbilt. Similar game and frame, but Matthews needed less work. Can Sutton develop into a solid player, sure. But he’s not as polished as some of the other guys.

Lastly, with regards to the Marqise Lee comp. I can see it. But only from the hands and route running perspective. Beyond that Gallup is clearly more durable, has better vision in the open field, and most importantly, he plays 15 lbs stronger than his listed weight whereas Lee seems to play about what you would expect of a 197 lbs player. Gallup is more comparable to the physicality you see with Kirk than the finesse you see with Lee in the open field. Lee holding up in the AFC north would be another Maclin. Gallup is more like an AFC built version of Lee/Maclin.

Unless he's smokin really hard, Eric's interview with Mink was telling. He articulated the same point about our running backs that many on here notably DB, have mentioned repeatedly. Guice could be a target if what Eric said is true, with Guice being perceived as the other elite potential back in the draft by most. He doesn't wow me as a possible top pick for us, but the athletic profile he shows in relation to his age is impressive and signals quite a bit of potential. 

We're in a weird place value to pick # wise and I think the FO recognizes that and will smoke on the QB position a ton and have already started too. A trade down this year seems more viable than it has in a while. 

Derwin James is growing on me as a Will for us, great sideline to sideline range, coverage ability, and a finisher. I also think he''ll be more explosive next year further removed from his surgery. He's of great value to us with his ability to cover running backs out of the backfield in a division that could have Joe Mixon, Leveon Bell, and Saquon Barkley all in it next year.

Yeah, if Derwin James is available we need him. I don’t care where we put him. He can be a safety. He can be a linebacker. He could even be a corner. That guy is one of my favorite players in this entire draft. I can’t wait until I start taking an in depth look at defenders. But yeah, James is a 5 star prospect. We can’t pass that up if he’s available.

9 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Unless he's smokin really hard, Eric's interview with Mink was telling. He articulated the same point about our running backs that many on here notably DB, have mentioned repeatedly. Guice could be a target if what Eric said is true, with Guice being perceived as the other elite potential back in the draft by most. He doesn't wow me as a possible top pick for us, but the athletic profile he shows in relation to his age is impressive and signals quite a bit of potential. 

We're in a weird place value to pick # wise and I think the FO recognizes that and will smoke on the QB position a ton and have already started too. A trade down this year seems more viable than it has in a while. 

I initially avoided that video because of an ad that popped up and annoyed me. ?

But yeah, he hits the nail on the head. We have some decent backs that are all mediocre. And it’s funny, mediocre has become such a negative term. If we can’t get anything better, I’m comfortable. But there are more game breaking backs in this class than normal. Usually there are “lightning” guys or “thunder” guys or “3rd down” guys dispersed throughout. And then maybe 2-3 true feature back type potential talents. By my count there are five backs of that caliber in this class:

1. Barkley

2. Penny, Juice, Michel, and Chubb

Any of these five guys are available in the second and third rounds and I’m strongly considering taking them. Well, if any of them are there in the third we better sprint to the podium. There are few players I would take over them in the second round though. Probably a receiver like Gallup if he falls or a dominant OT like Tyrell Crosby, but that’s it.

The fact that this cluster of backs should be falling somewhere around the second to third round, makes me want to trade down in the first if someone like Derwin James (or another 5 star prospect) isn’t available.

Like dude said above, the more I think about it...we may just take Guice at 16. Especially if Cleveland takes Barkley. Mixon, Bell, Barkley...that would definitely make the Ravens feel they’d need to join the competition and add a promising young back. 

As of right now, my picks that I would be ecstatic about at 16 in order are..

1.Christian Kirk

2. Derrius Guice

3. Calvin Ridley

4. Orlando Brown (or best projected O-line prospect) 

5. Baker Mayfield

With Guice, I wouldn’t take him at #16. I think he’s Ray Rice-lite, however his durability is something that I question. And thus other talents would be better had.

Now in a trade down scenario where we drop to the late 1st, I can get on board with his selection. Because I’m all for bringing in a truly playmaking running back.

edit: and it gives us picks to work with to nab other needed positions earlier, like Tight End and Wide Receiver.

That just sounds like idle speculation, from media bods trying to drum up interest. It was pretty funny hearing Daniel Jeremiah and Bucky Brooks try to talk him up on their podcast, today. That he's a great athlete and moves really well, and has the size and looks to be a QB... now if he could only throw accurate passes.

If any intriguing QBs fall into the 2nd or 3rd, then the Ravens should certainly take a keen interest, but there comes a point in the draft where drafting a QB is an utter waste of a pick, because he's never going to be a starter (unless something extraordinary happens). And the last time the Ravens drafted a QB, he didn't even make it out of Training Camp.

Archived