2018 draft talk

Danand

4 hours ago, Danand said:

Damn, instantly liked what I've seen from Ian Thomas. Big, natural hands, got a little bit of athleticism to set up defenders on routes and then break away from them.

A little too much of a one speed guy, but if he is durable, I see him as a 3. round pick for us depending on how the board falls.

Have to see more from him also, but certainly a promising player.

He's this years Tim Williams for me, a lock for us in the 3rd round if he's there. I don't know if he'll garner the same mock draft presence Tim did last year but if people learn of his Baltimore connections he just might. TE is a clear need for us and he'd be good value in the 3rd.

10 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

I don’t know. I’d rather go after Mike Gesicki if both were there. There are no better hands in this draft than what he brings to the table.

I wouldn't worry about it. Post combine I don't think there's much of a chance Gesicki is there for our 3rd round pick.

2 hours ago, DreamKid said:

I wouldn't worry about it. Post combine I don't think there's much of a chance Gesicki is there for our 3rd round pick.

I don’t know. I think Hayden Hurst and Dallas Goedert are the more likely ones to blow up the combine. I mean I know Gesicki has a beastly vertical and straight line speed should be solid, but I’m not sure it’ll be elite enough to thrust him into the second round conversation.

Though I guess that could also depend on the other tight ends not dropping the ball. Like Mark Andrews. I’m curious to see how fast he tests. On tape he doesn’t look like anything more than a 4.9 type guy.

1 minute ago, diamondbull424 said:

On tape he doesn’t look like anything more than a 4.9 type guy.

I think he struggles to separate at times but I'll predict more in the 4.73-4.77 range. Unimpeded I think he can build up a lil speed. Hurst should probably kill it too, sub 4.6 would be great for him.

When it comes to a TE target for the Ravens, I don't worry too much about a player being dynamic so much as I just want someone reliable.  The chopping and changing at the position, because Watson or Gillmore or Williams or Boyle have been hurt and/or suspended has been a killer. None of those guys have ever been able to find any rhythm in the team, to build any rapport with Joe. Watson, being the savvy vet, made the most of his opportunities this season, but he's still pedestrian and might not be back next year anyway. The other three are backup calibre, at best.

So a big, strong guy with good hands is fine by me. He doesn't need to be Vernon Davis fast, or even Gronk fast.

Just watched some Mike Gesicki tape. So far, he is "just" a big wr. Great red zone target, big play potential, can bail out the QB, used in a variety of ways.

But imo we need someone who can also block. Better protection is what Flacco needs to be succesful.

2 hours ago, Danand said:

Just watched some Mike Gesicki tape. So far, he is "just" a big wr. Great red zone target, big play potential, can bail out the QB, used in a variety of ways.

But imo we need someone who can also block. Better protection is what Flacco needs to be succesful.

Meh. I disagree. We already have two great blocking tight ends on the roster. I compare Mike Gesicki to Dallas Clark. I like the big WR notion. But we don’t need more blockers, we need more playmakers. Gesicki has probably the best hands in the draft from any position. He also is 6’5” with probably a 38” vertical leap and the 4th longest wing span at the senior bowl. That’s a target. And his blocking really isn’t bad in pass protection. He’s just not a great run blocker. He gets no movement and little pop. But as a pass blocker he usually gets in the way of a defender for a long enough period of time to buy his QB a couple seconds.

Whats more, there aren’t any complete tight ends in this class. If you grab a great blocker, that guy is probably not a great receiver. Or if he’s a good blocker and a good receiver he’s not an athlete. So if we’re going to take anything I’d rather take the guy that is a pretty good athlete and is an excellent receiver.

Im sticking with my original projection in that  my courtland sutton will be our first round pick.  I love what I see from him on tape and I have no doubt he will be a sucessful nfl player. He might be a bit of a reach at 16, but given what biscotti said at his press conference that they will not overthink picks and will go heavy offense, I cant see them not picking sutton. He is exactly what flacco needs, a big wr who can catch jump balls. He is the opposite of what perriman is, so thats a plus. Again his only negative is his speed, but they can draft DJ moore in the 3rd round if they want speed.

2 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

After that Super Bowl, it definitely reaffirms in my mind how much we need a) A RB with hands and b) A TE with great hands. And a WR that can make plays with the ball in his hands like Aghalor.

a) Rahsaad Penny b) Mike Gesicki c) Mike Gallup D) Super Bowl 53. ?

The thing is, Penny strikes me as the back who is perfectly used to set up a RB with hands.

1 hour ago, Danand said:

The thing is, Penny strikes me as the back who is perfectly used to set up a RB with hands.

In college Ray Rice at Rutgers had only 37 receptions in three years of heavy production. But immediately came into the pros and lit it up as a receiver out of the backfield. I see Penny in the same light. Just look at how natural his hands are. He’s going to be a reliable reception back at the next level. Someone that can also run the football at a high level in the mold of a Kareem Hunt and LeVeon Bell.

2 hours ago, berlin calling said:

the WR you wanted to name was Christian Kirk i suppose.

Nope. Christian Kirk is a slot version of Michael Gallup. Michael Gallup is a slot and x version of himself. Michael Gallup is my top receiver in this class... mainly because he’s like 3.5 years younger than Calvin Ridley, but still right there with him in talent.

Kirk’s top highlights

Gallup’s top highlights

Yeah... Gallup just does more. And this is without looking at the actual game tape, where Gallup equally outshines Kirk.

1 hour ago, diamondbull424 said:

In college Ray Rice at Rutgers had only 37 receptions in three years of heavy production. But immediately came into the pros and lit it up as a receiver out of the backfield. I see Penny in the same light. Just look at how natural his hands are. He’s going to be a reliable reception back at the next level. Someone that can also run the football at a high level in the mold of a Kareem Hunt and LeVeon Bell.

I don't doubt he might be able to be a pass catching back, but that clip doesn't prove much. I haven't seen the wiggle in short areas that makes me believe he will be that effective as a pass catching back. Derrius Guice would be a better option. But as I said before, I believe Penny would fit very well with what we have, and then Allen, Dixon or Collins could be the pass catching back.

If Collins could improve his pass catching, we could get him outside in the open, where he can combine his power and explosive ability to gain easy yards

Archived