2018 draft talk

Danand

1 hour ago, diamondbull424 said:

Yeah, my best comp for him at the time was Arian Foster, but it still didn’t seem perfect enough for me to feel comfortable. I do really like him as a player though. But Foster had some of the best RB vision in NFL history and that was a large part of what made him so great. That and that zone blocking scheme. It’s hard to for me to compare Foster to anyone for that reason as well. It’s hard to project that level of vision.

One of the things I "fear" with Penny, is that it is difficult to see where the big plays comes from. Foster/Forsett are examples of players who had really good anticipation/vision to see where the hole would come, so they would accelerate and hit the hole just as it opened. Penny sometimes seem to run "blind" and hope the hole opens - and then when it does he is difficult to tackle and he can breakaway.

Other times, it seems like he sees the hole and just hits it hard, but that is more on outside runs.

17 minutes ago, Danand said:

One of the things I "fear" with Penny, is that it is difficult to see where the big plays comes from. Foster/Forsett are examples of players who had really good anticipation/vision to see where the hole would come, so they would accelerate and hit the hole just as it opened. Penny sometimes seem to run "blind" and hope the hole opens - and then when it does he is difficult to tackle and he can breakaway.

Other times, it seems like he sees the hole and just hits it hard, but that is more on outside runs.

So I went back to watch Penny because I was just so curious. I knew something made me nervous about him besides just the comp difficulty and now I know what it is. He plays in largely a zone blocking scheme, like Arian Foster. He does a great job of feeling the cutbacks and creases before they arise. But converting to the power blocking scheme we have now could be very difficult. It’s much easier for a power back to convert to a zone scheme than the is the opposite in my opinion. Granted many colleges and pros run a hybrid, but we lean towards the power scheme now.

Whats more Penny seems to go down clean when inside 3-5 yards of the LOS, it’s not until he reaches the second level that he’s able to truly get yards after contact. He needs the momentum. In that way, he kind of reminds me of former Ravens runningbhack Bernard Pierce. Albeit he looks like he’s a little stronger and with  even better vision.

4 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Just out of curiosity, what about Penny’s game do you like over the other guys? After watching my initial evaluation of all the backs at once, I had Penny second as well. But I’m trying to wait until right before the draft to rewatch the tape on the backs, I’d prefer to not get burnt out with him.

I do recall him having a little Edgerrin James to him. But he was a difficult guy to nail down a comparison for. Which I think also makes me a little hesitant on him. It’s hard for me to see him and know what he could turn into. What do you see with him? Any good pro comparisons?

I just like the explosiveness... not to say the other guys don’t have it... but to me it’s something to be said of a guy that consistently scores 80 plus yard tds... His homer run threat ability is something that we just haven’t here in a long time... He comes right in and competes for the starting returner and rb jobs and has shown Elite ability at both positions...

We talk a lot about wide receivers, tackles, tight ends and Derwin James.

I think we should talk more about Armani Watts. This is my Kevin Byard pick this year - I really like what I see from him. If he could stop the guessing at times and take better angles, then we could have a true centerfielder. The 2. round is still too rich for me, but if he was there in the 3. round, I would love to pick him. He could have just as an immediate impact as a Derwin James and potentially replace Weddle during the season if he becomes more of a liability.

20 minutes ago, Danand said:

We talk a lot about wide receivers, tackles, tight ends and Derwin James.

I think we should talk more about Armani Watts. This is my Kevin Byard pick this year - I really like what I see from him. If he could stop the guessing at times and take better angles, then we could have a true centerfielder. The 2. round is still too rich for me, but if he was there in the 3. round, I would love to pick him. He could have just as an immediate impact as a Derwin James and potentially replace Weddle during the season if he becomes more of a liability.

Guilty. I’ve watched very few defenders in this class. Outside of the top ILB talents, a few safeties, Taven Bryan, a few corners; but nothing too extensive.

I probably should, because the Ravens will probably go all defense in this draft now that we’ve got Crabtree.?

12 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Guilty. I’ve watched very few defenders in this class. Outside of the top ILB talents, a few safeties, Taven Bryan, a few corners; but nothing too extensive.

I probably should, because the Ravens will probably go all defense in this draft now that we’ve got Crabtree.?

I like the idea of the Derwin James pick, but it has a lot to do with the fact, that he is the alpha presence, which we would be missing once Suggs is gone. We don't have an apparent heir to the voice of the defence, and while it is nice to have the leaders by example, we should never underestimate how much the vocal leader add to the unit.

His position however is what makes me question that pick. We have a lot of (unproven) options at that will spot. Peanut, Correa, Bam Bradley and Levine could all rotate at the spot and either Peanut, Bradley or Correa could still emerge as a legitimate option.

Armani Watts however could be an immediate impact as the clear cut free safety backup and future starter at the position plus he could play special teams from the get go.

33 minutes ago, Danand said:

I really really like John Kelly as a mid round pick. Very active feet and legs and lowers his should to pick up extra yards.

Yeah I just looked him over as well sometime yesterday. I like him as well. He has probowl potential as well. I like him in my second tier of running backs.

3 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Yeah I just looked him over as well sometime yesterday. I like him as well. He has probowl potential as well. I like him in my second tier of running backs.

I looked more into him. I am pushing him way up there on my RB board, I think he is exactly what we need. Him and Chubb are the two guys I want the most out of the running back group in this draft.

I wonder how much his marihuana related suspension will affect his draft status.

4 hours ago, Danand said:

I looked more into him. I am pushing him way up there on my RB board, I think he is exactly what we need. Him and Chubb are the two guys I want the most out of the running back group in this draft.

I wonder how much his marihuana related suspension will affect his draft status.

Agreed. Drafting him would make me not quite as salty about losing out on Chubb if it came down to that.

John Kelly reminds me of Priest Holmes, which is funny because Nick Chubb kind of reminds me of Jamal Lewis. Maybe we should draft both players.??

10 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Agreed. Drafting him would make me not quite as salty about losing out on Chubb if it came down to that.

John Kelly reminds me of Priest Holmes, which is funny because Nick Chubb kind of reminds me of Jamal Lewis. Maybe we should draft both players.??

Lets draft both!

Naah, they offer 2 very different things. both would fit well with what we need.

In this walkthrough, the play at the 11 minute mark is what I really like about him.

i think wr will still be the pick at 16, unless of course we land meredith or there is a crazy run on wrs and all 3 of Moore/Sutton/Ridley are all gone. Lets not make the perriman mistake again and start taking the 4th or 5th wr in the first round. 

Archived