Jump to content
Danand

2018 draft talk

Recommended Posts

32 minutes ago, Darth Pees said:

Vea in the 4th is really good. I watch the Huskies all the time and when he chooses to give 100% effort, he's a tremendous player. The problem is the effort and consistency. Getting him in the 4th round, and if we can motivate him, you've got a great pass rushing DE.

That's my BPA board at 16

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

give me Captain Kirk. that guy to me is the playmaker this team needs with MMs offense. dump it off to him and let him work some magic. no need for anymore deep threats on this team.

i like his build and see him as some SSR lite, perfectly suited for the AFC North.

but hey, what do i know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, berlin calling said:

give me Captain Kirk. that guy to me is the playmaker this team needs with MMs offense. dump it off to him and let him work some magic. no need for anymore deep threats on this team.

i like his build and see him as some SSR lite, perfectly suited for the AFC North.

but hey, what do i know.

I’m actually starting to warm up to Christian Kirk depending on which round. I’d love him as our selection if he makes it to pick #80, but I doubt it. As our second round pick, I wouldn’t hate it. As a 1st round pick, I’d track Ozzie down a dark alley and do really mean things to him.😆

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another thing I’m starting to warm up to is the playmaking running back. I’m probably the only person on the bandwagon of Alex Collins being fools gold, but hopefully the front office is on the bandwagon as well.

Solid running back option, sure. But he can easily be upgraded by a number of backs in this years class. I haven’t even scouted them all, but it looks to be incredibly deep.

Saquon Barkley = Tall Maurice Jones-Drew

Darius Guice = Ray Rice

Nick Chubb = Jamal Lewis

Bryce Love = Jamaal Charles

Sony Michel, Ronald Jones, Damien Harris... those are names that I’ve watched varying amounts of and have looked impressive.

I would be willing to target a running back as high as our 2nd round pick and not look back. I don’t believe in taking a running back in the first round just out of long term durability, but count me on the bandwagon for a 2018 runningback.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd be happy to see the Ravens go for a RB, if no WRs are on the board. Because even if Collins is the real deal, I still think Allen is pedestrian, and Dixon might as well not exist. 

But my preference would be to go for WR above all. A big bodied, reliable catcher, not yet another deep threat with coordination issues. I like what I've seen of Courtland Sutton, so far. He seems like the sort of guy Flacco would love go throw to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Mancunian Raven said:

I'd be happy to see the Ravens go for a RB, if no WRs are on the board. Because even if Collins is the real deal, I still think Allen is pedestrian, and Dixon might as well not exist. 

But my preference would be to go for WR above all. A big bodied, reliable catcher, not yet another deep threat with coordination issues. I like what I've seen of Courtland Sutton, so far. He seems like the sort of guy Flacco would love go throw to.

yea im starting to like Sutton as an option at 16. His biggest knock is that he isnt fast, but the ravens have plenty of speedsters on the team. We just need someone who can catch the dang ball

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm completely open to a runningback as well. The problem is that we have two guys (Dixon and Collins) who are very good backs. Collins might be a flash in the pan, fools gold type, and same with Dixon. We just don't know. I'm all for getting a playmaking back who can excel in all 3 phases of the game, which clearly Dixon/Collins cannot (catching the football).

I'm also completely on board with not doing that and just going with Dixon/Collins/Buck Allen and going forward with that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Darth Pees said:

I'm completely open to a runningback as well. The problem is that we have two guys (Dixon and Collins) who are very good backs. Collins might be a flash in the pan, fools gold type, and same with Dixon. We just don't know. I'm all for getting a playmaking back who can excel in all 3 phases of the game, which clearly Dixon/Collins cannot (catching the football).

I'm also completely on board with not doing that and just going with Dixon/Collins/Buck Allen and going forward with that.

Dixon is a tremendous receiver out of the backfield...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, coordinator0 said:

Dixon is a tremendous receiver out of the backfield...

Is he? I might just be completely mis-remembering because it's been a year since I've seen him play. I don't recall ever seeing him be a reliable receiver out of the backfield.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's weird to have a guy like Roman who's scheme builds a strong running game, yet a lead runner in Collins who improvises so much even to his own detriment a times. I'm for drafting a running back just because of how important it is to have two dynamic options out of the backfield. Anyone remember Bernard Pierce and how his broken tackle every run ability helped get us a Super Bowl ring? He's a great example of what you pick players for, it isn't to create a fun offense for the regular season, it's to play a role that will net your team a place in the tourney and a ring for winning it. He's an all time great Raven draft selection just for his one year of work.

When looking at positions to draft for, a good exercise is to imagine the strength of that group with it's lead player gone. For us at HB it would Collins. With Collins gone with injury what are we left with-

Buck Allen- Performed commendably at the end of the year and gels with Roman's system but not a lead back. Still a valuable player with versatile ability.

Kenneth Dixon- Coming back from injury and Drug suspension, ability but he obviously can't be counted on. In situations like his it's almost good to imagine he will mess up and address the position like he isn't there, then if you do get something from him even better but if he can't play you have someone else there.

Danny Woodhead- Injuries limited him early and we never fully implemented him into our offense. There was talk last year about we over payed for him and he has a 50/50 chance of even being on the roster next year with his cap hit, it isn't so bad but it sticks out. He could keep a spot as a versatile player who can player receiver as well and his ability to get first downs is valuable.

 

We must prioritize the WR and TE position, we have absolutely nothing there while we do have options and potential at HB(Collins is still an ascending player for us). With Yanda back and Lewis back, we should take advantage and truly build this team into a running juggernaut. It sucks we can't count on Jensen being back and have three key guards coming back from injury.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, DreamKid said:

It's weird to have a guy like Roman who's scheme builds a strong running game, yet a lead runner in Collins who improvises so much even to his own detriment a times. I'm for drafting a running back just because of how important it is to have two dynamic options out of the backfield. Anyone remember Bernard Pierce and how his broken tackle every run ability helped get us a Super Bowl ring? He's a great example of what you pick players for, it isn't to create a fun offense for the regular season, it's to play a role that will net your team a place in the tourney and a ring for winning it. He's an all time great Raven draft selection just for his one year of work.

When looking at positions to draft for, a good exercise is to imagine the strength of that group with it's lead player gone. For us at HB it would Collins. With Collins gone with injury what are we left with-

Buck Allen- Performed commendably at the end of the year and gels with Roman's system but not a lead back. Still a valuable player with versatile ability.

Kenneth Dixon- Coming back from injury and Drug suspension, ability but he obviously can't be counted on. In situations like his it's almost good to imagine he will mess up and address the position like he isn't there, then if you do get something from him even better but if he can't play you have someone else there.

Danny Woodhead- Injuries limited him early and we never fully implemented him into our offense. There was talk last year about we over payed for him and he has a 50/50 chance of even being on the roster next year with his cap hit, it isn't so bad but it sticks out. He could keep a spot as a versatile player who can player receiver as well and his ability to get first downs is valuable.

 

We must prioritize the WR and TE position, we have absolutely nothing there while we do have options and potential at HB(Collins is still an ascending player for us). With Yanda back and Lewis back, we should take advantage and truly build this team into a running juggernaut. It sucks we can't count on Jensen being back and have three key guards coming back from injury.  

 

You broke down my opinions on our runners and why in believe it could be a need perfectly. The only difference is I would add fumbling concerns at the very least for Collins. Part of it was how he held the ball to the start of the season, but the other part is simply his overall carry strength,Which is lacking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

 

You broke down my opinions on our runners and why in believe it could be a need perfectly. The only difference is I would add fumbling concerns at the very least for Collins. Part of it was how he held the ball to the start of the season, but the other part is simply his overall carry strength,Which is lacking.

Yea I forgot about that. We got lucky with a couple late in the year not being turnovers due to heads up plays by the guys around him too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

 

You broke down my opinions on our runners and why in believe it could be a need perfectly. The only difference is I would add fumbling concerns at the very least for Collins. Part of it was how he held the ball to the start of the season, but the other part is simply his overall carry strength,Which is lacking.

For the most part it seems we've been able to correct his fumbling/carrying issues. That'll only improve as he becomes more comfortable with the style.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×