2018 draft talk

Danand

6 hours ago, Danand said:

I never really have a big board, I have a Ravens board with players I like for us, which I then somehow rate. Most are aligned with the common perception on where to get these players with small differences, but it varies..

You see and there in lies the problem. Because I would do the same and I would be using common perception to influence where I stack a guy. Assuming I thought one rb looked better than one wr. Yet common perception is that this wr is a 1st round pick and this rb is a 3rd round pick. This made me rank the worst player above the player I believed would provide greater impact.

So this year I’m trying this star system to see how I like it all as the process develops and my opinions fully develop. I’ll probably use the combine to really separate my running backs and any position group on the same level. Otherwise everyone still will stay within their same star ranking. They can change the order of the shuffle, but not change their genre... to compare it to music.

Sorry DB, looks like Bryce Love is staying for his senior season. Although it could be a good thing, maybe next year we're more likely to pick him as it's more of a clear need or maybe just maybe we have his old head coach.

Really Berlin, one second before.

7 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

You see and there in lies the problem. Because I would do the same and I would be using common perception to influence where I stack a guy. Assuming I thought one rb looked better than one wr. Yet common perception is that this wr is a 1st round pick and this rb is a 3rd round pick. This made me rank the worst player above the player I believed would provide greater impact.

So this year I’m trying this star system to see how I like it all as the process develops and my opinions fully develop. I’ll probably use the combine to really separate my running backs and any position group on the same level. Otherwise everyone still will stay within their same star ranking. They can change the order of the shuffle, but not change their genre... to compare it to music.

I believe one of the best (or worst) ways I can describe how I build my board, is that back in the OBJ draft, I would rather have Jarvis Landry with our second round pick than OBJ with our 1. round pick. Thats how the board ended, but ofc if OBJ had fallen to the 2. round he would be highest rated. Last year, Marshon Lattimore wasn't even on my board due to injury concerns.

This year, I already bet I will have a huge cluster of runningbacks rated somewhere in the late 2. round early 3. round because there are so many of them who seems like good prospects and it takes a certain elite skillset to have them in the 1. round.

3 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Sorry DB, looks like Bryce Love is staying for his senior season. Although it could be a good thing, maybe next year we're more likely to pick him as it's more of a clear need or maybe just maybe we have his old head coach.

Really Berlin, one second before.

No worries. He wasn’t my top rated back and there were too many of those backs clustered together. Was difficult for me to decide which was better. His decision makes things easier at least.

my updated quick 4 round mock. In this situation the ravens do not add too much in FA and use most of the cap space to resign jensen. 

1) Courtland Sutton- Ridley is the best wr in the class but I expect him to be gone in the top 10. While its possible Sutton being gone in a similar run on wrs' like last years draft; this years draft will see 4 QBS drafted in the top 10, mix in the talent on the defensive side , I could see Sutton being there at 16.  To me he is the exact wr Joe likes to throw to. Has the size to box out defenders, and high points the ball well. Literally no wr on our team can do that now, so this would be a huge improvement. He only knack is his speed, but we have plenty of speed on this team at wr already. Just need a dude who can catch the ball. 

2) Sony Michel RB GA- We need to upgrade rb position. While I like Collins, we dont know truly know if he is the real deal yet. Michel can come in and fill the rb 2 spot from buck allen, and take over if collins regresses. 

3) Tyrell Crosby OT, OR- This allows Lewis to stay at LG. The 2018 starting O line of Stanley-Lewis-Jensen-Yanda-Crosby is a good one. 

3a (Comp) DJ Moore WR, MD-  Ozzie learns from his mistake, and doesn't let this local kid get away. MD Wr's have always transitioned well into the NFL and I dont see anything that would make Moore any different. He could come in and take the role campanaro currently has, as the starting slot wr and main PR. 

4) Shaun Dion Hamilton ILB BAMA- Ozzie gets his Bama guy. Dion Hamilton would have been picked a lot sooner had it not been for his injury. 

So this draft will be reversed from previous years and be offensive heavy early then I can see the later rounds being used to address any holes in the defense. (ILB and S) 

Good job paraven, I think Sutton and Crosby can be considered two of the strongest candidates for us and imo they'll be predict the pick focal points. If we did somehow keep Jensen and then added Crosby O.o, that would be a lot of mean upfront especially with Yanda coming back.

Why no comp pick though? 

The safety talent in this draft seems very thin and a popular thought in draft communities is that to truly get a good safety you gotta pick one early. It'll be interesting to see how the FO handles the position in the offseason. 

54 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

Good job paraven, I think Sutton and Crosby can be considered two of the strongest candidates for us and imo they'll be predict the pick focal points. If we did somehow keep Jensen and then added Crosby O.o, that would be a lot of mean upfront especially with Yanda coming back.

Why no comp pick though? 

The safety talent in this draft seems very thin and a popular thought in draft communities is that to truly get a good safety you gotta pick one early. It'll be interesting to see how the FO handles the position in the offseason. 

I fix I fix

2 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Jessie Bates III FS, He's been a site darling here for a while among some of the draft focused members, and he doesn't disappoint imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zE720Y3I4U

@Danand ?

I watched 2.41 so far, and I really don't like. He had the pass break up, but everything else is bad. He seems to read and react slow. Either he doesn't trust his eyes or he just doesn't see it. Sloppy tackling to bad technique and he "jogs" towards the football.

If anything, he could be used as the deep centerfielder and its too little tape to judge, but he is not someone I would take a closer look at.

2 minutes ago, Danand said:

I watched 2.41 so far, and I really don't like. He had the pass break up, but everything else is bad. He seems to read and react slow. Either he doesn't trust his eyes or he just doesn't see it. Sloppy tackling to bad technique and he "jogs" towards the football.

If anything, he could be used as the deep centerfielder and its too little tape to judge, but he is not someone I would take a closer look at.

Wow really, definitely a new take on the guy but I always like getting your thoughts on the DBs. Let me know when you identify your guy this year. I know you were high on Baker last year, him and Forest Lamp.

15 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

Wow really, definitely a new take on the guy but I always like getting your thoughts on the DBs. Let me know when you identify your guy this year. I know you were high on Baker last year, him and Forest Lamp.

I'm not trying to be controversial here, but outside of the 2 pass breakups and a few tackles where he had a straight line to the runner, I really think he struggled a lot with reading plays and especially at tackling for a man his size.

My biggest "flaw/issue" with my "scouting" approach is that I am not good at judging how athleticism translates to the NFL. Most of my preferred players are sound technicians, Kevin Byard, Eddie Jackson, Budda Baker, Sidney Jones as a DB group last year and pass rushers like Derek Barnett and Trey Flowers (danish pats fans still tease my about Flowers as I picked him to the Ravens in 4 consecutive mock drafts).

But from that one tape, I would say Bates potential is either as a true centerfielder where he can use his length to pick of floaters and get his hands on passes in the deep middle - or as a lengthy cornerback.

The safety I am most intrigued by is Armani Watts, and I am waiting for draft breakdown to put up videos with him, so I don't get too excited about highlights.

Btw, if he hadn't played above mine (and many others) expectations this year, I believe Marlon Humphrey could be an elite safety talent. He can run, hit, wrap up, take on blockers, go down in the box and stuff the run, rush the passer or cover both tight ends, slot receivers and running backs.

He will have more value as an outside cornerback, especially if he can keep playing the ball better, than he did in college. But at worst, I think we could have a truly supreme player at the safety position in Humphrey.

Archived