Dallas will pick #19

WizardHawk

1 hour ago, Tony7188 said:

That sucks. At pick 16 I think one of the 3 special talents would have fallen to us (Derwin, Roquan, Ridley). This is the year to move up. 

Trading up is just a bad idea unless it's for a franchise QB. Dallas has been burned by this numerous times. Doesn't mean you shouldn't consider, but given depth is a huge problem here, trading away resources seems like a really bad idea. 

Generally speaking, this probably would be a good year to move up in the draft simply because we will have money under the cap to fill holes in FA and we have compensatory picks.  The team really should try to fill all roster holes in FA. Then, we can afford to move around in the draft to pursue elite talent without sacrificing depth.

2 hours ago, The_Slamman said:

Generally speaking, this probably would be a good year to move up in the draft simply because we will have money under the cap to fill holes in FA and we have compensatory picks.  The team really should try to fill all roster holes in FA. Then, we can afford to move around in the draft to pursue elite talent without sacrificing depth.

I think there is a lot of talent at positions I'd like us to look at. To that end, value wise we should probably consider moving up in the 2nd or 3rd or possible acquire another pick in those rounds.

We can find quality prospects at DT, LB, and WR in those rounds. 

5 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

Trading up is just a bad idea unless it's for a franchise QB. Dallas has been burned by this numerous times. Doesn't mean you shouldn't consider, but given depth is a huge problem here, trading away resources seems like a really bad idea. 

I completely agree with WizardHawk.  At most, I  would only trade away one or two mid to late round supplemental picks because we need the rest for depth.  Trading those picks would not net much of a change in position in the first round.  Also, I think that there is a really good chance that Roquan will fall to us.  I think that other "premium" positions like QB and OT will push him down to our pick.

9 hours ago, Tony7188 said:

That sucks. At pick 16 I think one of the 3 special talents would have fallen to us (Derwin, Roquan, Ridley). This is the year to move up. 

Yeah, like I said though, we really did everything in our power to lose.

12 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

Picks 19, 50, and 81 for Dallas per Mosher.

It sucks but we have no shot at Ro Smith at 19. 

Depends. I could see him fall to us depending on which direction teams like Cincy, Miami, and Washington go. 

13 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

Picks 19, 50, and 81 for Dallas per Mosher.

It sucks but we have no shot at Ro Smith at 19. 

I don't know how true that is. Smith is small, albeit extremely athletic. I don't know how many teams will consider him highly. Especially when players like Telvin Smith went lower. But D. Lee did go 20 overall and Smith is much better. 

Just for sake of argument for those who want Ro...

Let's say hypothetically Sean Lee is healthy and Jaylon Smith takes a big step next year. If the defense is the same, we run with 2 LBs(mike\will) close to 70% of the time. And that doesn't necessarily mean 3 LBs are on the field the other 30%.

I know we need to replace Hitchens and add depth for Lee but, who are you taking off the field? Not Sean Lee. And Jaylon was acting like the light clicked on for him at the end of the year. There's a good chance he would beat any rookie outright for the other job.

18 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

Just for sake of argument for those who want Ro...

Let's say hypothetically Sean Lee is healthy and Jaylon Smith takes a big step next year. If the defense is the same, we run with 2 LBs(mike\will) close to 70% of the time. And that doesn't necessarily mean 3 LBs are on the field the other 30%.

I know we need to replace Hitchens and add depth for Lee but, who are you taking off the field? Not Sean Lee. And Jaylon was acting like the light clicked on for him at the end of the year. There's a good chance he would beat any rookie outright for the other job.

I'd answer that by saying Lee likely has another year or two left with the way his body tends to hold up. So, it wouldn't be long before Ro earned a starting job. 

I'd also argue that as a DC, your job is to get your best players on the field. So, it'd be up to Rod (assuming he's still here) to make it work.

Archived