2018 Coaches Discussion Thread

iLikeDefense

I figured we could discuss potential hires and fires.

Retained:

HC Vance Joseph 
OC Bill Musgrave
DC Joe Woods

Hired:
OL Coach Sean Kugler

Fired:

RB Coach/Assistant HC Eric Studesville
ST Coordinator Brock Olivo
OL Coach Jeff Davidson
WR Coach Tyke Tolbert
OLB Coach Fed Pagac
Asst. DB Coach Johnnie Lynn

Broncos expected to make Musgrave full time OC

I think this is real interesting, typically new HC will want “their guys”. Is this an indication that VJ stays or are we spending too much money on coaches and it’s a cost saving move to keep him? I didn’t watch many games this year for obvious reasons, how did he fair when he took over play calling duties?

1 hour ago, iLikeDefense said:

I think this is real interesting, typically new HC will want “their guys”. Is this an indication that VJ stays or are we spending too much money on coaches and it’s a cost saving move to keep him? I didn’t watch many games this year for obvious reasons, how did he fair when he took over play calling duties?

I thought he faired well kept to the basics. Kept it simple. Execution looked better with him calling plays.

I think OAK’s struggles showed Musgrave was better than ppl gave him credit for in his years there.  

I don’t mind at all if he stays because he seems to be a good fit to groom our future guy.  But I’m not crazy if this is a main factor in keeping VJ.   

7 hours ago, iLikeDefense said:

It could be an indication that VJ stays - but remember the assistants were likely Elway's decision not VJ. Musgrave was brought in because the expectation was that McCoy would get another crack at a HC job.

There is another possibility - maybe it's an indication that Kubiak comes back as HC - he has been in the building most of the year, would know how Musgrave operates and Dennison isn't coming back to Denver again. I don't think a return for Kubiak could be ruled out.

As for 'fires' - hopefully Russell is straight out the door after Joseph. I would also expect Olivo, Davidson and Chryst to be fired.

Rapoport reporting this morning that Joseph not expected to go this offseason and get another chance, but not yet confirmed. Players want him to stay apparently.

Doesn't sound like Elway has full confidence in him. Surely if you're mulling a move over a coach you're not sure about you make the move. As for the players wanting him to stay, maybe you should have performed better throughout the season.

1 minute ago, PFM18 said:

Rapoport reporting this morning that Joseph not expected to go this offseason and get another chance, but not yet confirmed. Players want him to stay apparently.

Doesn't sound like Elway has full confidence in him. Surely if you're mulling a move over a coach you're not sure about you make the move. As for the players wanting him to stay, maybe you should have performed better throughout the season.

If Caldwell got fired going 9 and 7 with that crap roster Joseph should be canned. The record isn't concerning the lack of being competitive in games is. That Philly game players gave up you can't have that.

2 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

If Caldwell got fired going 9 and 7 with that crap roster Joseph should be canned. The record isn't concerning the lack of being competitive in games is. That Philly game players gave up you can't have that.

This is what I mean in regards to the players. If they like Vance so much why did they fail to show up in so many games?

Apparently the effort the players put in against KC yesterday is working in Joseph's favour, but what about games where they didn't show up?

Isn't Elway close to JDR? I can imagine he'd be fired up to get right back in the division and stick it to Oakland. 

Just now, PFM18 said:

This is what I mean in regards to the players. If they like Vance so much why did they fail to show up in so many games?

Apparently the effort the players put in against KC yesterday is working in Joseph's favour, but what about games where they didn't show up?

Isn't Elway close to JDR? I can imagine he'd be fired up to get right back in the division and stick it to Oakland. 

No to JDR thats fox volume 2. But anyone over Joseph.  Players quit on the field too many times.

1 minute ago, thebestever6 said:

No to JDR thats fox volume 2. But anyone over Joseph.  Players quit on the field too many times.

I imagine Joseph will get an opportunity with his own QB though. Can't blame him for the poor selection he's had this season.

That being said if Elway decides to stay with him I hope he gives him the full season, and not change halfway through. Either move on now or not at all. 

17 minutes ago, PFM18 said:

IMO, Elway doesn’t know what’s going on and if he fires VJ then his next hire MUST pan out immediately or else Elway will be finished. Retaining VJ keeps the heat off Elway and hopefully slows down the intense win now mentality. QB and OL are HUGH question marks that the best HC can’t magically fix. Thus, the bigger question is QB & OL. I bet Lynch comes back next year, perhaps all 3. We’ll know on draft day.

What do you guys remember about Don Martindale as the defensive coordinator in 2010? I know the defense wasn't good, but was that on him or other factors? I'm absolutely dreading the Ravens actually regressing from Pees' incompetence, so if there's a silver lining here I would love to hear it. But not expecting it. 

Archived