Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
iLikeDefense

2018 Coaches Discussion Thread

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, jsthomp2007 said:

I am not sure about the toxic culture in Dove Valley...

If there is a problem with culture it is most likely to be that the defence is fed up of carrying the team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, jolly red giant said:

If there is a problem with culture it is most likely to be that the defence is fed up of carrying the team.

I wouldn't consider that toxic...I'd consider that Elway and Co. gotta fix the offense...and, it isn't like they got to do much...score three TDs per game and they win almost all of those games.  The playoffs aren't that far of a reach either...the Bills got in with a 9-7 record this year...the AFC has dropped off considering that that was the Broncos' record from last year.  Toxic would be that the Broncos are far off and they need to blow up everything and start over and we have a five year plan for getting back into contention...we'd be the Browns. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like we got our ST Coordinator Tom McMahon. 

Anyone got any info on him aside from that failed trick play against the pats?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, iLikeDefense said:

Looks like we got our ST Coordinator Tom McMahon. 

Anyone got any info on him aside from that failed trick play against the pats?

I think Vinateri and Pat Macafee made him look good.  I think he'll do wonders for McManus and not to long ago his unit ranked 4th in the nfl in kickoff return yardage. Maybe he'll help McKenzie. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I think Vinateri and Pat Macafee made him look good.  I think he'll do wonders for McManus and not to long ago his unit ranked 4th in the nfl in kickoff return yardage. Maybe he'll help McKenzie. 

I have no idea if McMahon will be good or not.  Honestly don’t pay much attention to STs.  But in terms of McKenzie I don’t blame that on Olivio.  Coninuting to play him? Sure, but McKenzie has likely been playing football since he was 10, 12 or 13 at the oldest.  He shouldn’t need to be coached up on securing the ball and the importance of ball security.  There are times where coaching can only go so far, McKenzies inability to hold onto the football was one of them.  The dude just flat out couldn’t get it done in his rookie season and that’s on no one but Isaiah McKenzie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, thebestever6 said:

I think Vinateri and Pat Macafee made him look good.  I think he'll do wonders for McManus and not to long ago his unit ranked 4th in the nfl in kickoff return yardage. Maybe he'll help McKenzie. 

McMahon is the only coach I was hoping would be kept from the entire Colt’s staff. He had the tough task of finding a punter to replace McAfee. And without McAfee he also knew that Matt Overton wouldn’t be a suitable long snapper anymore. Overton has a tendency for high snaps which McAfee saved his rear countless times on. 

He found Rigoberto Sanchez from Hawaii to punt and converted a reserve linebacker into a LS Luke Rhodes 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, germ-x said:

I have no idea if McMahon will be good or not.  Honestly don’t pay much attention to STs.  But in terms of McKenzie I don’t blame that on Olivio.  Coninuting to play him? Sure, but McKenzie has likely been playing football since he was 10, 12 or 13 at the oldest.  He shouldn’t need to be coached up on securing the ball and the importance of ball security.  There are times where coaching can only go so far, McKenzies inability to hold onto the football was one of them.  The dude just flat out couldn’t get it done in his rookie season and that’s on no one but Isaiah McKenzie.

I agree with this. Olivo and Joseph should be held accountable for the fact they continued (and will likely continue) to play McKenzie, despite his obvious inability to be a competent punt returner. The guy is shook, that's not good as a rookie. McMahon isn't going to change that. Honestly, McKenzie shouldn't even be on the team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

I find this interesting, perhaps they are concerned that they are not developing players well enough. I see they will also have Herring coach OLB/ILB and the team will hire a “pass rush” specialist/coach.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, iLikeDefense said:

 

I find this interesting, perhaps they are concerned that they are not developing players well enough. I see they will also have Herring coach OLB/ILB and the team will hire a “pass rush” specialist/coach.

 

I think that's exactly what the issue is. Elway seems to draft a lot based on upside and physical ability. That's fine if you've got a staff that can bring that out with good coaching. Outside of Kolars work with the DL, talent development has been almost non-existent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AKRNA said:

I think that's exactly what the issue is. Elway seems to draft a lot based on upside and physical ability. That's fine if you've got a staff that can bring that out with good coaching. Outside of Kolars work with the DL, talent development has been almost non-existent.

I’m all for it and it appears Elway is acknowledging that there is a huge issue and is taking it seriously. I’m hoping for a big game changing off-season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, iLikeDefense said:

I’m all for it and it appears Elway is acknowledging that there is a huge issue and is taking it seriously. I’m hoping for a big game changing off-season.

I'd rather we just draft players that have higher floors instead of blowing early round picks on guys who take 3 years to develop. Spend 5th round picks on those guys, not 3rds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, iLikeDefense said:

I’m all for it and it appears Elway is acknowledging that there is a huge issue and is taking it seriously. I’m hoping for a big game changing off-season.

Where's Matt Russel fall in all this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

I'd rather we just draft players that have higher floors instead of blowing early round picks on guys who take 3 years to develop. Spend 5th round picks on those guys, not 3rds.

In a nutshell, this is Elway's problem - he has to have certain guys, and doesn't want to risk losing them to other teams - and so we get these insane-tool, raw-as-hell projects with an insanely low floor.    The thing is, at Rd2-3, and especially the last couple of years, there are high-ceiling, higher-floor-than-guy-we-took alternatives available, and well-established as such.  That's the painful part.   Guys drafted on Day 2 should be pushing to break into a rotation by the end of year 1, and then look for impact on Year 2.  Our guys taken, we literally burn 2+ years before any of them become regular starters, if not just bust outright.   It's unreasonable to expect big Year 1 contributions from anyone but your 1st rounder, but it's entirely reasonable to expect your Day 2 guys to be Year 2 impact players.   Yet we routinely whiff in that regard.

I'm against drafting low-ceiling, high-floor guys, as you need difference-makers, but to go insane-ceiling, bust-floor at Rd 2-3 like Elway keeps doing is just bad drafting.   Ironically there's nothing wrong with this by the time you're in Rd5+, because by then it's usually all a crapshoot anyways, why not get the insane ceiling if no one else has a safe floor.  But to keep doing it in Rd2-3 is what's killed Elway there (and of late, reaching for need as 1-player-away in Rd1, but his Day 2 MO is so transparent it's painful). 

Edited by Broncofan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

I'd rather we just draft players that have higher floors instead of blowing early round picks on guys who take 3 years to develop. Spend 5th round picks on those guys, not 3rds.

I agree with this. I was just stating that it appears he sees an issue with development and is addressing that issue. Will it work out, I am not sure. But yes, we need high floor players, instead of reaching during our day 1/2 picks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, iLikeDefense said:

I agree with this. I was just stating that it appears he sees an issue with development and is addressing that issue. Will it work out, I am not sure. But yes, we need high floor players, instead of reaching during our day 1/2 picks. 

Yeah, the difference being in Rd 2-3 you can still get high-floor and decent-ceiling players.    At least other teams can lol (but to avoid the hindsight argument, a lot of those same players are ones ID'd on draft night or before).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×