2018 Coaches Discussion Thread

iLikeDefense

If Vance is fired btw, I think there's a serious possibility that we end up giving it Gary Kubiak until the end of the season. It's always kinda stuck in my mind that when he quit the role at the end of last season, he never used the word "retirement", and it's almost weird how much time he seems to be spending hanging out with Elway and Russell these days.

2 hours ago, paul-mac said:

If Vance is fired btw, I think there's a serious possibility that we end up giving it Gary Kubiak until the end of the season. It's always kinda stuck in my mind that when he quit the role at the end of last season, he never used the word "retirement", and it's almost weird how much time he seems to be spending hanging out with Elway and Russell these days.

Maybe because he's got a Senior Position in the personnel department?

16 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

Maybe because he's got a Senior Position in the personnel department?

I am not a huge Kubiak guy, he no doubt had a hand in the SB win, much like Shanahan in ‘97 and ‘98. 

Though, I do love the fact that he’s been given a bigger role within the organization.  AnAngryAmerican, mentioned this as well and I agree.  I think a lot of this teams issues in the draft have manifested from Elway completely running the show and gaining confidence in his ability to make the right decisions for the organization.  In his first 3 years he relied heavily on the input of the other minds in the room and sat back and was the tie breaker vote if they couldn’t come to a consensus.  I remember an article from 2012 stating that Jack Del Rio made one hell of a pitch to convince Elway and the rest of the room that Derrik Wolfe should be the pick at #36.  Del Rio said something along the lines of this is a Pittsburgh Steeler/New England Patriots type of guy.  Brings his lunch pale everyday and the team would regret not selecting him.

I don’t think the above Derrik Wolfe story has been happening of late.  In Elway’s tenure they’ve always had a strong leaning toward physically gifted players, but as of the last 2-3 years it seems they’ve almost completely went toward physical gifts and ignored NFL ready football skills.

I think Elway has a ton of respect for Kubiak and I think Kubiak is one of the few maybe the only one capable of swaying Elway in different directions.

1 hour ago, germ-x said:

I am not a huge Kubiak guy, he no doubt had a hand in the SB win, much like Shanahan in ‘97 and ‘98. 

Though, I do love the fact that he’s been given a bigger role within the organization.  AnAngryAmerican, mentioned this as well and I agree.  I think a lot of this teams issues in the draft have manifested from Elway completely running the show and gaining confidence in his ability to make the right decisions for the organization.  In his first 3 years he relied heavily on the input of the other minds in the room and sat back and was the tie breaker vote if they couldn’t come to a consensus.  I remember an article from 2012 stating that Jack Del Rio made one hell of a pitch to convince Elway and the rest of the room that Derrik Wolfe should be the pick at #36.  Del Rio said something along the lines of this is a Pittsburgh Steeler/New England Patriots type of guy.  Brings his lunch pale everyday and the team would regret not selecting him.

I don’t think the above Derrik Wolfe story has been happening of late.  In Elway’s tenure they’ve always had a strong leaning toward physically gifted players, but as of the last 2-3 years it seems they’ve almost completely went toward physical gifts and ignored NFL ready football skills.

I think Elway has a ton of respect for Kubiak and I think Kubiak is one of the few maybe the only one capable of swaying Elway in different directions.

I read an article a few days ago that said Kubiak was being given an expanded in the personnel dept. Elway said he hadn't come up with the title yet.

Director of Player Personnel wouldn't surprise me. Elway has to realize that dept needs a serious upgrade and Gary would seem to fit that bill.

Teams typically address the personnel department after the draft rather than after the season, even some GMs recently have found their black Monday to be the Monday after the draft not the Monday after week 17. I expect the same thing to happen this year. Matt Russell will be the fall guy and Kubiak will be promoted to be Elway's right hand man.

1 hour ago, paul-mac said:

Teams typically address the personnel department after the draft rather than after the season, even some GMs recently have found their black Monday to be the Monday after the draft not the Monday after week 17. I expect the same thing to happen this year. Matt Russell will be the fall guy and Kubiak will be promoted to be Elway's right hand man.

If that's the case then I'd take back everything I said about status quo - more about canning Russell than hiring Kubiak (although I have no qualms with more input from Kubes).  Our biggest organizational problem since we went to SB48  has been draft evaluation, by far. 

8 hours ago, paul-mac said:

God I hope you're right. 

I wouldn't call Russell the "fall guy" however. He has been an incompetent drunk ever since he followed Mac here from New England. If I was Elway, I would have fired him my first day on the job in January 2011. 

9 hours ago, paul-mac said:

you're talking like Kubiaks involvement in the personnel department is a new thing. It's not. He was hired in late June as the "Senior Personnel Advisor". Recently Elways been talking about a much expanded role for Gary. Seriously, I wouldn't be surprised a bit if Russell reports to him.

Russells failures in FA recently and below average drafts can't help his relationship with Elway.

34 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

you're talking like Kubiaks involvement in the personnel department is a new thing. It's not. He was hired in late June as the "Senior Personnel Advisor". Recently Elways been talking about a much expanded role for Gary. Seriously, I wouldn't be surprised a bit if Russell reports to him.

Russells failures in FA recently and below average drafts can't help his relationship with Elway.

Typically anyone in an NFL front office with the title "advisor" is code for a person that they wanted to shoehorn into the building, but didn't have a specific role with a vacancy so they just invent one to get the guy in there. Most front offices run without a senior personnel advisor, and I think when Elway decides what Kubiak's full time role will be, someone is going to fall on his sword. My money is on Matt Russell.

Guys we can sit here and talk about how underwelming this roster is to have a 5 and 11 record but it's so much more than that. 

It goes beyond talent and qb. This team was 3 and 1 at one point and completley collapsed in Mcdaniels type fashion.  I definitely think the culture has gotten sour.  The players are entitled and act like a superbowl has brought them career immunity. Not all that humble anymore.  Heck even Chris Harris comes across that way saying he's not gonna play slot anymore am I off base?

16 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

Guys we can sit here and talk about how underwelming this roster is to have a 5 and 11 record but it's so much more than that. 

It goes beyond talent and qb. This team was 3 and 1 at one point and completley collapsed in Mcdaniels type fashion.  I definitely think the culture has gotten sour.  The players are entitled and act like a superbowl has brought them career immunity. Not all that humble anymore.  Heck even Chris Harris comes across that way saying he's not gonna play slot anymore am I off base?

Yup...on the offensive side of the ball...the Broncos don't have much talent.  All the offense had to do was score 21 to 24 points and not turnover the ball, and that would generally win you 10 to 12 games.  

I think the defense was lackluster for a few games, probably irritated with the offense constantly coughing up the ball.  Perhaps that attitude is toxic...but I get it...it has to be disheartening to get off the field, only to go back on three minutes later. 

• 4 weeks later...

According to The Denver Post, Denver's Stregnth & Conditioning Coach Luke Richesson is departing for the Houston Texans. 

After six years with the team, Broncos strength and conditioning coach Luke Richesson is headed to the Houston Texans, likely to oversee their strength program, an NFL source confirmed. Richesson had one year remaining on his contract with the team but was granted permission to accept the job in Houston.

Archived