2018 Coaches Discussion Thread

iLikeDefense

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

TBH the biggest omission is Matt Russell.  For all of VJ's lack of performance, he inherited this talent-deplete roster.   Russell's a huge reason for the bigger problem, or at least isn't willing to counter Elway's practice of reaching for need early Rd 1 over BPA and then reaching badly for "his guys" 2+ rounds too soon in Day 2.   

Keeping both VJ and Russell isn't a good sign at all, but the fact Russell is still here is by far our biggest problem going forward.   Draft is how teams stay in contention...and why we've fallen so quickly from our lofty heights.   SMH.

Vance’s hire is all on Elway and Russell. He was Russell’s teammate and frat brother at CU.  

As much blame as there is to go around, the Vance-Russell connection remains at the fore. 

I've been shocked at how poorly this team has been prepared and played all year - or at least after the Dallas game.  And while the roster is certainly thin at spots, not least QB and OL, they had enough talent to at least be competitive, and for the most part, they simply weren't. Having seen a lot of coaches come and go over the past 5 decades, I'm pretty certain VJ doesn't have what it takes, at least in the near term,  to be a successful NFL head coach.  

Having said that, I have no problem with Elway giving him another year.  There are just certain things you need to do for the long term good of the franchise that may be counter-priductive or counter-intuitive in the short term.  Giving a new coach more than 1 season to prove himself is almost essential if we want to continue to be able to attract new coaching candidates, especially with the turnstile we had at QB this year.  Otherwise the message is: come to Denver, don't perform even with a dumpster fire at QB (and frankly OL), and it's one and done.  This is especially true given the turnover at HC the past few years. 

So, unfortunately, I don't really believe Elway had much of a choice.

Meanwhile, it's humorous to see the over-reaction by many - especially those who now predict without any information what will happen next (purge the defense, cut specific players at the expense of others, overpay Cousins or some such), and then use this now predicted "fact" to complain what a Joke the franchise has become.  Still more Super Bowl appearances than Losing seasons over the past 40 years, I believe.  Breathe, my Brothers.  Just Breathe.....?

1 hour ago, thebestever6 said:

Was he sober writing it?

They won't raise ticket prices?  Maybe they should to get in some more marquee guys.  

Has anyone noticed that the spending stopped once the team went into a Bowlen Family Trust.  This is why you are getting guys like Watson instead of Whitworth.  If Pat was in the mix...he would have pulled the trigger on getting better talent in. 

The rest of the family is what is holding this team back. 

What needs to happen is Elway needs to do is remove himself as GM (replace with Kubiak, who I just read is getting more personnel decision power)...put a group together that would include Elway and Manning to purchase the Broncos, and then they can operate the team as Pat normally would...if not better. 

Archived