Raiders hire Jon Gruden as Head Coach

eagles18

19 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Blake loved Olsen too. He had nothing but good things to say about him when he left. Even in that article I posted there was zero shade at Olsen from Blake.

Doesn't change the fact that his stubbornness and forcing Blake to stay in Jacksonville and not work on his mechanics and work all offseason with no one watching him when he clearly had trouble with mechanics is alarming and questionable at the very least.

And I question that because he encouraged Goff to work with other coaches that's one of the reasons Goff spent his off season with House and his boys. 

I like Gruden a lot, he's my favorite caster by far and I'd definitely have a beer with him if I'd ever have the chance. I think he'll be a great players coach and will be able to develop Carr even further.

That said a 10 year contract is just too long. The only coach I'd give a 10 year contract is BB. No one else comes even close, even 5 years would be too long for me in most situations. I mean sure coaches contracts aren't part of the cap so it's basically money that doesn't matter in that regard. But then again it's not like the Raiders are the richest organisation. The real problem is the message. You're basically telling everyone in the organisation that this guy will be here forever, and the guy himself knows it too. Now I don't think Gruden will allow himself to consciously start slacking but subconscious. Who knows? 

Then again, he had a super cushy job casting so it would take something special to bring him back into coaching. 

2 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Correct me if I'm wrong that reads he didn't like the guys he was working with. Not that he told him not to get coaching just he didn't like the guys that he was working with. 

"The only thing I missed was instead of going and throwing with somebody that’s watching me throw and critiquing and helping every single throw, I threw here by myself the whole time and had nobody watching or telling me what I was doing wrong. And I can’t do that. I need people to help me. I need constant feedback on stuff like that."

And Blake instead of getting a different coach decided no coaching was the way to go. Not sure who he was working with before and don't care. That totally reads to me like Olsen suggested he not use certain coaches. Blake instead of getting new guys just didn't get any work in with coaches.

3 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

Correct me if I'm wrong that reads he didn't like the guys he was working with. Not that he told him not to get coaching just he didn't like the guys that he was working with. 

And Blake instead of getting a different coach decided no coaching was the way to go. Not sure who he was working with before and don't care. That totally reads to me like Olsen suggested he not use certain coaches. Blake instead of getting new guys just didn't get any work in with coaches.

Not to be blunt but you are. He loved working with them in 2015 and the plan was to do so in 2016 as well. Olsen said he didn't want him to, so he didn't.

He just went back out there this last year after Olsen was let go. Heck, when Olsen was fired and Hackett was promoted he even had House come to Jacksonville and he worked with him over the bye week to try and fix some things in season. He loves the guys in Cali.

He didn't say no coaching was the way to go, Olsen regulated who he could see. Olsen told him he wanted him to stay in Jacksonville and just spend the offseason working with his receivers and gaining reps with them instead of going and getting coaching on his mechanics.

Just now, .Buzz said:

Not to be blunt but you are. He loved working with them in 2015 and the plan was to do so in 2016 as well. Olsen said he didn't want him to, so he didn't.

He just went back out there this last year after Olsen was let go.

He didn't say no coaching was the way to go, Olsen regulated who he could see. Olsen told him he wanted him to stay in Jacksonville and just spend the offseason working with his receivers and gaining reps with them instead of going and getting coaching on his mechanics.

Sorry I read that and I don't know who he was working with as coaches but because somebody tells you I don't like those guys don't use them he's not saying don't get any coaching. That's on Blake, and even if Olsen didn't like those coaches he can't stop Blake from getting coaching. This sounds like it's fully on the player.

Just now, NVRamsFan said:

Sorry I read that and I don't know who he was working with as coaches but because somebody tells you I don't like those guys don't use them he's not saying don't get any coaching. That's on Blake, and even if Olsen didn't like those coaches he can't stop Blake from getting coaching. This sounds like it's fully on the player.

How do you figure? Olsen said he didn't want Blake going out and seeking coaching but instead staying Jacksonville and working with the receviers. He didn't want him leaving Jacksonville.

That's not on Blake what so ever. You trust the guys you trust. Being upset at the QB for not finding some random coach somewhere else that he may not trust/believe in isn't on him. He had a guy that legit fixed his mechanics in 2015 and gained a reapport with and the OC told him not to do so and stay in Jacksonville. If you are telling me that's on Blake and not on Olsen I'm not sure what to say.

I'm still not 100% sold on Derek Carr.  I'm not saying he's a bad player, but I'm not sure he can sustain the great season he had last year as the norm.  I know he was injured this season and the coaching/team wasn't all that great, but he still played really poorly.

2 minutes ago, Crickett said:

Good luck Raider fans, I get the feeling you're going to need it.

Why? If Gruden sucks, he'll be fired, and the Raiders organization will lose a fraction of the Las Vegas revenue. It's hardly going to destroy the franchise.

Archived