Raiders hire Jon Gruden as Head Coach

eagles18

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/12/31/espn-espn-employee-will-be-next-raiders-coach/

ESPN reports that ESPN employee Jon Gruden will be the next head coach of the Raiders. The connection is less premature, given that owner Mark Davis already has fired Jack Del Rio. The connection is still somewhat premature, given that the Raiders will be required to comply with the Rooney Rule before making it officially official with Gruden.

I don't really understand this. Gruden has been out a long time, does he still have it? He didn't leave on his terms, he was fired. 

ESPN's Adam Schefter reported on SportsCenter that Jon Gruden will be the next head coach of the Raiders.

"Jon Gruden's gonna be the next head coach of the Oakland Raiders," Schefter stated adamantly. "The only question is when it happens." Schefter believes the Raiders' proposal to Gruden was simply too strong for Gruden to refuse, offering to make him the NFL's highest-paid coach in addition to a stake in ownership. Schefter also revealed that as he and Chris Mortensen were investigating their Gruden-to-Raiders report, they did not receive a "single ounce of blowback" from the organization. Already lining up a staff of assistants, Gruden is known to be targeting Jets OC John Morton to coordinate his offense.

24 minutes ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

And not even exploring your options before settling on a fired coach who’s been out the game for ten years is COLOSSALLY freaking stupid 

The most curious part is how Mark Davis plans to buy out Gruden's ESPN contract... and matching or increasing his salary on top of that along with having to pay Del Rio the final few years on his contract is gonna lead to Davis being broke or having to take our more loans from the Vegas mobsters.

25 minutes ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

Isn’t complying with the Rooney Rule a little degrading to whoever they bring in? I mean I guess it doesn’t hurt to to get in front of ppl who may keep you in mind in the future or might say to someone else, “hey we interviewed and he was great.” But still 

Yes, hopefully they just interview someone that Gruden wants on his staff(if he indeed is the next coach) so that they adhere to the rule.  I find the rule to be disingenuous to those being used to follow it.  Teams should interview those that they have actual interest in, regardless of race.

23 minutes ago, OleXmad said:

The most curious part is how Mark Davis plans to buy out Gruden's ESPN contract... and matching or increasing his salary on top of that along with having to pay Del Rio the final few years on his contract is gonna lead to Davis being broke or having to take our more loans from the Vegas mobsters.

Nah. The money Davis will bring in various revenues by hiring gruden will more then cover the difference. Besides if ownership stock is part of the deal as being reported, that's gobs of money. Especially because he'd be getting in one of the bottom valued franchises right before a move to Vegas and a brand new stadium. His stock in the company will skyrocket. Gruden is going to get rich off this from that move alone.

Also, plan #2: sell Raider spider 2 y banana shirts on game day. He'll make tens of millions.

55 minutes ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

Isn’t complying with the Rooney Rule a little degrading to whoever they bring in? I mean I guess it doesn’t hurt to to get in front of ppl who may keep you in mind in the future or might say to someone else, “hey we interviewed and he was great.” But still 

Yes, it's times like this where the Rooney Rule is dumb. I understand the purpose of it and it has good meaning behind it, but if a team is set on their guy like it appears Oakland is, then it's just a waste of time for the team and degrading to whoever it is they choose to interview. As someone else said though, they can just interview someone that Gruden plans to have on staff, interview him as "head coach" and hire for whatever position.

1 hour ago, Spartica4Real said:

Yes, it's times like this where the Rooney Rule is dumb. I understand the purpose of it and it has good meaning behind it, but if a team is set on their guy like it appears Oakland is, then it's just a waste of time for the team and degrading to whoever it is they choose to interview. As someone else said though, they can just interview someone that Gruden plans to have on staff, interview him as "head coach" and hire for whatever position.

Not just that, but I still think it's worthwhile to make more connections, get your name out there, make good impressions. If you go in, interview, meet some people...say someone in that room later goes on to be GM of another team, etc etc. Maybe there's a conversation between a couple of higher ups between someone who works for the Raiders and someone on another team and his name gets brought up. Its still worth it, even if it is all pretense and somewhat farcical in nature. 

This will end badly. Think Mcvay has encouraged Jon ala a teacher needs to be tested! Que this scene

"Dr. P: Every once in a while a shepherd has to pluck a sheep from the heard and challenge him. It lets the man know hes worthy of leading him.

Archived