Raiders hire Jon Gruden as Head Coach

eagles18

8 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

So you think that Del Rio's staff was better for Carr than Gruden, who has gotten the most out of guys like Brad Johnson and made Gannon an MVP?

nah, Del Rio made his own bed from what I've heard with terrible coordinators, he deserved to go. personally, I'm skeptical of Gruden's work as a "QB guru", but even if you want to make that case, the game is very, very different than what it was then 

16 minutes ago, Jaguarfan said:

he hasn't won a playoff game in 16 years

So?  He wasn't coaching the majority of those 16 years.  The guy was a very successful head coach in the NFL and knows the game very well.  Again, people are acting like this is a guy who has no proven track record as a head coach.  Gruden isn't a player who retired for 10 years and is trying to make a comeback.  He's coaching... something he has done at the highest level before.

I also want to add.  I'm not sure which Derek Carr we're going to see, but I think Gruden and this new staff can help Carr get back to where he was two seasons ago when the Raiders were 12-4.  The biggest thing they will have to address is the defensive side of the football.  They have a great building block in Khalil Mack, but they really need to bolster the overall talent level on that side of the ball.  If Carr get back to where he was pre-injury, then you have yourself a franchise QB.  They have a great offensive line and hopefully Amari Cooper can return to his previous form as well.

This is a great move after a very disappointing 6-10 season.  Barring injury, the Raiders are my favorites to win the AFC West heading into next season.

1 hour ago, Jaguarfan said:

nah, Del Rio made his own bed from what I've heard with terrible coordinators, he deserved to go. personally, I'm skeptical of Gruden's work as a "QB guru", but even if you want to make that case, the game is very, very different than what it was then 

3 names...

Rich Gannon - went from average to League MVP.

Brad Johnson - Decent to Super Bowl champ.

Josh Freeman - Drafted and helped develop him early on. The year after Gruden left he went from Pro Bowl alternate to free falling out of the league in a matter of years.

QBs have always been his specialty and the position he spends the most time on cuz his system is extremely dependent on his QB making reads and adjustments at the line. Thats why Gannon was so great under him. Physically he was very limited but he was a mad scientist who studied tirelessly. Carr will have to become like that if he wants to succeed cuz Gruden does not tolerate mental mistakes. Idk if anything pisses him off more lol.

16 minutes ago, riceman80 said:

3 names...

Rich Gannon - went from average to League MVP.

Brad Johnson - Decent to Super Bowl champ.

Josh Freeman - Drafted and helped develop him early on. The year after Gruden left he went from Pro Bowl alternate to free falling out of the league in a matter of years.

QBs have always been his specialty and the position he spends the most time on cuz his system is extremely dependent on his QB making reads and adjustments at the line. Thats why Gannon was so great under him. Physically he was very limited but he was a mad scientist who studied tirelessly. Carr will have to become like that if he wants to succeed cuz Gruden does not tolerate mental mistakes. Idk if anything pisses him off more lol.

Don't forget Bruce Gradkowski and Chris Simms. :)

6 hours ago, Jaguarfan said:

the game is very, very different than what it was then 

When was it different ?

He's been in production meetings with 32 teams per season. Diving deep into each game and studying both teams' coaches and players and schemes so he can be an insightful color guy on the broadcast. Hours and hours of prep every single week. Hours and hours of film review

He's also had deeper access into the entire NFL than any other coach in the league over the last decade. Some teams even griped about it, worried that he'd soon be a coach again and was privy to too much of their private info. He hasn't been "away" from the game in any sense of the word.

In fact, the prep he's done is probably the best thing an HC could do in getting ready to coach again. Doesn't mean he'll succeed -  but all the comments about the "game changing" or his "time away" are ridiculous. Quite the opposite

9 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

When was it different ?

He's been in production meetings with 32 teams per season. Diving deep into each game and studying both teams' coaches and players and schemes so he can be an insightful color guy on the broadcast. Hours and hours of prep every single week. Hours and hours of film review

He's also had deeper access into the entire NFL than any other coach in the league over the last decade. Some teams even griped about it, worried that he'd soon be a coach again and was privy to too much of their private info. He hasn't been "away" from the game in any sense of the word.

In fact, the prep he's done is probably the best thing an HC could do in getting ready to coach again. Doesn't mean he'll succeed -  but all the comments about the "game changing" or his "time away" are ridiculous. Quite the opposite

And I have to laugh at reporter and some internet writers who are implying today's players may have a problem with Gruden's approach. All successful coaches are blunt, and direct about what they want. It's about accountability, and if someone isn't willing to pay the price, they'll need to find another team. If Marshawn Lynch, or any current Raider isn't excited or motivated about reaching for the playoffs next season, that will be an issue.  

On 1/11/2018 at 7:52 AM, riceman80 said:

He went 11-5 with a qb carousel of Chris Simms, rookie Bruce Gradkowski, and Tim Rattay lol

The only quarterbacks to take a snap that year were Brian Griese and Chris Simms. Gradkowski and Rattay were not around until the following season when the Buccaneers went 4-12.

The defense and Cadillac Williams carried the 2005 squad. 

Rich Gannon was the only QB that was consistently "good" for Gruden. 

• 10 months later...
Just now, Activated10 said:

What do people think of this here now after decent amount of games into the new season 

I think NFL fans are far too impatient.  If there aren't immediate returns, it's a mistake.  If there are immediate returns, it was a success. 

Right now the Bears are the geniuses.  Right now the Cowboys are the geniuses. 

Three years from now, after the result of 5 first round picks in the previous two years, the Raiders are going to be the geniuses. 

Archived