Raiders hire Jon Gruden as Head Coach

eagles18

There are ways this could backfire massively but the one angle I don't understand is "he's been out too long". He's only 54. He's been announcing 10 years, sure, but how many announcers have been on team's wishlists year in and out?  What exactly do people think he's been doing the last 10 years if he already has his staff in place? Gruden will obviously succeed or fail on the merits of his work, but I see no reason to believe that a guy as dedicated to the game as he is hasn't been updating his cookbooks

27 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

Players contracts are also not fully guaranteed.

Coach contracts are.

Players also don't get 10 year deals, longest I remember off the top of my head is a 6 year extension given to Gronkowski. 

Tyron Smith signed an 8 year 112mil year deal in 2014 iirc.

1 minute ago, Dodo said:

There are ways this could backfire massively but the one angle I don't understand is "he's been out too long". He's only 54. He's been announcing 10 years, sure, but how many announcers have been on team's wishlists year in and out?  What exactly do people think he's been doing the last 10 years if he already has his staff in place? Gruden will obviously succeed or fail on the merits of his work, but I see no reason to believe that a guy as dedicated to the game as he is hasn't been updating his cookbooks

I wish I could find the article about Gruden, how he has been dissecting college and NFL offenses intensely over the past decade and working as if he still was a HC and needed a gameplan that week. He is obsessed with football. He even has a playbook from his Tampa Bay days that he has been adding to and altering over the years. Not to mentioned he runs QB camps.  I am not worried whatsoever about him being "out of it too long". Hell I bet he has put in more hours breaking down film than any other coach over the past decade haha. 

2 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

Yet Carr and Goff love him. We'll see what happens.

Blake loved Olsen too. He had nothing but good things to say about him when he left. Even in that article I posted there was zero shade at Olsen from Blake.

Doesn't change the fact that his stubbornness and forcing Blake to stay in Jacksonville and not work on his mechanics and work all offseason with no one watching him when he clearly had trouble with mechanics is alarming and questionable at the very least.

2 minutes ago, hornbybrown said:

I’m happy to see Gruden back, but this better result in lost draft picks over the obvious Rooney rule violation. Even if they interviewed someone it was a complete sham of a interview 

Who cares? That rule is the biggest slap in the face that exists in modern sports. They have a black GM for goodness sake. 

Also, to the bolded, that would have to be proven (it would never be).

1 minute ago, cddolphin said:

Who cares? That rule is the biggest slap in the face that exists in modern sports. They have a black GM for goodness sake. 

Also, to the bolded, that would have to be proven (it would never be).

Thank you! The Rooney rule, while put into place with the best of intentions I’m sure, is just not necessary. 

34 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Damn, I just realized we are definitely going to be on Hard Knocks in the next few years. Gruden + Las Vegas would make for a crazy show.

I’ve never had interest in hard knocks but I would defiantly watch gruden in Vegas. 

4 minutes ago, hornbybrown said:

I’m happy to see Gruden back, but this better result in lost draft picks over the obvious Rooney rule violation. Even if they interviewed someone it was a complete sham of a interview 

#1. Wouldn't be the first time a team already had someone penciled in and abided by the rule. Whether it's a sham rule these days is up for debate but they abided by it. 

#2. The Raiders aren't a good team to cite as someone who'd purposely try to avoid the rule. First black coach, first latino coach, first female CEO. 

Archived