Should Gruden Call Plays Next Year

MKnight82

IMO, Gruden seems best when he's just the CEO of the coaching staff, and isn't left with the playcalling duties on gameday.  His playcalling seems uninspired and unimaginative to me.  

Quick, name the Redskins current Offensive Coordinator.  Could you?  I had to look it up. its appraently Matt Cavanaugh who has spent the majority of his career as a QB Coach.  We could really use a new Offensive Coordinator this offseason IMO, a guy who's an experienced playcaller that can take over that role.  

If we have a new QB I could see this but I do worry we turn Gruden into nothing more than the head cheerleader. 

why was he hired? I seem to recall he was marketed as 1.” A great offensive coach”, 2. “ a quarterback whisperer who was going to fix rg3”.

Failed on 2. seems like calling plays is integral to number 1. What the heck is he doing if not running the offense? Managing a bunch of assistant coaches? Nothing in his background indicates he’s a great manager

8 minutes ago, Doc Draper said:

If we have a new QB I could see this but I do worry we turn Gruden into nothing more than the head cheerleader. 

why was he hired? I seem to recall he was marketed as 1.” A great offensive coach”, 2. “ a quarterback whisperer who was going to fix rg3”.

Failed on 2. seems like calling plays is integral to number 1. What the heck is he doing if not running the offense? Managing a bunch of assistant coaches? Nothing in his background indicates he’s a great manager

Joe Gibbs turned over playcalling when he needed to.

I think next year ends up being an epic collapse. Like 2-14 or 3-13 type bad season. Colt will get hurt and then the QB carousel will start with guys like Gabbert and Hoyer. Honestly, I don't care if he lets playcalling go. We already let McVay walk away and that's going to haunt this franchise for years. 

2 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I think next year ends up being an epic collapse. Like 2-14 or 3-13 type bad season. Colt will get hurt and then the QB carousel will start with guys like Gabbert and Hoyer. Honestly, I don't care if he lets playcalling go. We already let McVay walk away and that's going to haunt this franchise for years. 

lol come on dude . I do admit tho Mcvay was a valuable assist and I noticed he did the right thing by hiring Wade Phillips.

heck Kyle shanahan was another regret . All he needed was a decent qb and the 49ers won like 5 games straight . If Jimmy G was the qb for the 49ers they would of beaten us and arguably finish 9-7.

It looks like QB coach O’Connell is going to take the OC job under Chip Kelly @ UCLA. Not sure what OC Matt Kavanaugh does if Gruden calls plays and O’Connell was the QB coach. Could see a guy like Wes Phillips get elevated to that role from his role as TE coach, similar to Sean McVay.

I don’t care who calls the plays, but the run game needs to get fixed. Doesn’t even need to be good or great, just competent enough. 

Archived