Playoffs/Offseason Thread

Zithers2

Might as well combine the two since I really doubt we are beating the Saints. The only reason I have any optimism about the game is because A) the chances of us losing to the same team three times in a fourteen game stretch is (maybe?) statistically unlikely and B) we played so horrible against Atlanta that we can really only get better (especially with Stew, Turner, and Coleman coming back). That's about it. Alvin Kamara has grease slathered all over himself so that we can't tackle him. Brees will kill us in underneath stuff like Ratt Myan did today. Have to hope for the offense to have a herculean effort. No Samuel or Byrd is hurting us. And I can't believe we turned this crap performance in when the Saints lost, giving us a path to the division title.

Otherwise, if we manage to win, we will probably head to Philly and I think we could shut down Foles. Then we'd have to put together a pretty huge game against LA or Minnesota. Unfortunately, a Super Bowl doesn't seem likely. Rooting for the Steelers if we can't win because my dad is a big fan. I just really, really don't want to see the Saints, Falcons, Patriots, or Jaguars to win. Anyone else is fine, I guess.

Here's to a Happy New Year, filled with the Panthers being sold to an owner who isn't a racist/sexual predator and cares about winning. And finding a GM who is a fraction of what Gettleman or Beane could have been. Sigh. Why was I cursed to be a Panthers fan?

33 minutes ago, Dingo18287 said:

DC Wilks has been requested to interview with Lions, Giants, and Colts. Can't start interviews till next week if he obliges. He's a hot name, and good chance he's gone. Any ideas on who could replace him? 

I think we would stay in-house and elevate Holcomb.  He's been our LB Coach since 2013. 

As far as the game against the Saints - I don't think we will win.  We don't match-up well with the Saints and that has been clear in our two match-ups.  However, our QB is Cam Newton.  He's super inconsistent, but it means for as much as he has his bad days, he will have his great days.  And when he's great, he is unstoppable.  I'll always have a little bit of faith as long as he's leading the team.

offensively we're a mess. last few games the D has been impressive considering how horrible our offense has been. no separation, no speed, sailing throws, no consistency, sporadic run game, some bad o line play. I don't like our chances vs the saints who whupped us twice however if brees, kamara and ingram get lost and don't make it to the game and we win I do like our chances vs. the eagles and making it to the nfc championship.

1 hour ago, iknowcool said:

Yeah.  Making the playoffs 4 times in 5 years is rough.

With Gettleman at the helm. Now we don't have Gettleman or his protege. We aren't winning the Super Bowl this year. We have to rely on Hurney to build next year's roster and who knows who will be the GM after that. The future of the franchise was ruined by that racist pervert Richardson.

I don't know why everyone is so down on our chance against the saints. It's the playoffs anything can happen! I fully expect Cam to bounce back after the worst performance I've ever seen him have. I agree we are missing that deep threat that Samuel/Byrd provides but we do have Olsen back when we didn't have him in those games. I hope he is a major factor for us. Probably will need to generate a couple turnovers to have pull it out but that all starts with our pass rush so we'll see!

Well Cam gave it his all.

Unfortunately so did Brees.

Things we should do this offseason:

1. Fire Shula
2. Get a big new weapon for Cam whether it be RB (move on from Stew), WR, TE. Don't want to have to rely on Byrd or Samuel being a huge difference maker.
3. Get some new DBs
4. Pray a good GM is left for us to hire once the sale goes through and Hurney is let go

8 hours ago, Zithers2 said:

Well Cam gave it his all.

Unfortunately so did Brees.

Things we should do this offseason:

1. Fire Shula
2. Get a big new weapon for Cam whether it be RB (move on from Stew), WR, TE. Don't want to have to rely on Byrd or Samuel being a huge difference maker.
3. Get some new DBs
4. Pray a good GM is left for us to hire once the sale goes through and Hurney is let go

Yeah agreed. WR, S, RB, OT.

Would love to get Harrison from Alabama then Nick Chubb (trade up?). Sign a free agent WR. Norwell is the big if, unless Moton can step in there.

Thought the coaching was good last night, but Its so inconsistent.

We played them better than I expected and we had opportunities to win. Our play calling is odd in the red zone... 

1. I really think getting rid of Stew is the top priority and bringing in a rookie - via Round 2 or 3. Look at the RB class this past draft. Yes, I still believe we nailed our pick with C-Mc, but we need a more consistent running. I do not know why we insist on wasting 3 or 4 plays a game with a sweep to J-Stew. 

2. Re-sign Norwell. I do not know if we will give him the money he wants, but we need to find a way. 

3. RB, S, OL, WR, DE - in no particular order need to be addressed in FA and the draft. The year we went to the superbowl we were getting turnovers from our safeties. 

4. We will not fire Shula, but I would love to see it. 

It won't matter if we get rid of Stewart unless we change our run scheme aka firing Shula.  Our RBs shouldn't be producing so poorly with Kalil, Norwell, and Turner on the interior.  Multiple run plays last night were zone-reads that didn't allow the RB to build up steam to the LOS.  It gives the opposing defense more time to get to the LOS and forces McCaffrey, or whoever else the RB, to break multiple tackles to muster even a 2 yard gain.

But Shula won't get held responsible.  For all of Rivera's positives, he's far too loyal to his assistants.

On 1/8/2018 at 11:49 AM, iknowcool said:

It won't matter if we get rid of Stewart unless we change our run scheme aka firing Shula.  Our RBs shouldn't be producing so poorly with Kalil, Norwell, and Turner on the interior.  Multiple run plays last night were zone-reads that didn't allow the RB to build up steam to the LOS.  It gives the opposing defense more time to get to the LOS and forces McCaffrey, or whoever else the RB, to break multiple tackles to muster even a 2 yard gain.

But Shula won't get held responsible.  For all of Rivera's positives, he's far too loyal to his assistants.

Shula and QB Coach Ken Dorsey were fired today.

Archived