Playoffs/Offseason Thread

Zithers2

36 minutes ago, Cypher said:

First name that popped into my head when I read the news was Norv Turner. I'll be utterly shocked if he isn't our OC by the end of January.

You guys better get that OL sorted out because Norv's obsession with long-developing routes and 7-step drops doesn't accommodate a mediocre OL even with a mobile QB (see his time in Minnesota).

1 hour ago, fretgod99 said:

We can get a new RB, but I honestly think Stewart is and would be fine with a better scheme and new OC. So I won’t argue if they sign/draft someone (preferably not very high), but I won’t likely complain if they don’t.

you think Stewart is and would be fine based on what? 

46 minutes ago, ericr0319 said:

you think Stewart is and would be fine based on what? 

The fact that he’s still talented and can run. I’m not above bringing in someone else, just saying with a better scheme I think he’d be perfectly fine. RB is not a priority.

1 hour ago, The LBC said:

You guys better get that OL sorted out because Norv's obsession with long-developing routes and 7-step drops doesn't accommodate a mediocre OL even with a mobile QB (see his time in Minnesota).

Our offensive line, for the most part, is really good.  Even in the playoff game, they held up well in pass protection until it became obvious we were going to pass and our WRs weren't getting open quick enough.  Matt Kalil sucks, but the other 4 guys are good enough to make up for his mishaps.  It's looking increasingly likely we'll lose Norwell this offseason though.

1 hour ago, gopherwrestler said:

Norv runs the EXACT SAME offense Shula ran...

I don't understand why the organization would try and stick with that Air Coryell system.

I don't think it is so much that Air Coryell is a problem as much as it is how Shula ran it is.  

But a lot of the criticism for Shula seems to fall in line with a lot of the criticism that I've heard regarding Turner.  With that said, Turner's offenses in San Diego ranked in the top 5 in points 5 of the 6 years he was there.  His tenure in Minnesota was underwhelming, but Bridgewater and Bradford were not very good fits for that system IMO.

I wouldn't be a huge fan of the hire, but I wouldn't be completely against it either. 

Just now, iknowcool said:

I don't think it is so much that Air Coryell is a problem as much as it is how Shula ran it is.  

But a lot of the criticism for Shula seems to fall in line with a lot of the criticism that I've heard regarding Turner.  With that said, Turner's offenses in San Diego ranked in the top 5 in points 5 of the 6 years he was there.  His tenure in Minnesota was underwhelming, but Bridgewater and Bradford were not very good fits for that system IMO.

I wouldn't be a huge fan of the hire, but I wouldn't be completely against it either. 

Turners last Top-15 offense was in 2011.

Had nothing to do with either Bradford or Bridgewater.

Everything was about dumb sweep runs with RB's with a FB leading the way. Using RB's that shouldn't be running sweeps instead of just trying to pound the rock up the middle (Adrian Peterson).

Norv also loves to use his FB as a WR. Something Zach Line and Rhett Ellison did constantly. He would send either one out wide in motion and have them run a deep route.

Calls 7 step drops on a consistant bases, so tackles are key to keep pressure from the outside calmed down so the QB is able to get a release. Being so deep stepping up in the pocket is hard with the DE able to just collapse it with ease.

Turners system and play calling is very similar to Shula's in about all its concepts. It is completely outdated from the time we are in now.

I'm honestly not really jazzed about bringing in Turner. However, I would try to remain hopeful that he's capable of learning and developing a bit. After being out of football for a year, I would hope there would be some introspection. I obviously could be wrong, but I'll remain hopeful if they do hire him. Still, I honestly thing I'd rather go back to Chud than pick up Turner. And I don't know that I really want to go back to Chud all that much either ...

5 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

Turners last Top-15 offense was in 2011.

Had nothing to do with either Bradford or Bridgewater.

I'm sure it had something to do with Bradford and Bridgewater.  Turner's offense were highly successful in San Diego, partially because he had a quarterback who excelled at passing the ball downfield and who could make passes off play-action.  

I'm not saying you're completely wrong or anything.  Turner did a poor job protecting them and clearly wasn't a good fit for them.  He deserves the blame. But I also think this is a situation similar to Whisenhunt where they face a lot of criticism for years where they didn't have the right guys.  Whisenhunt had several terrible offenses following Warner's retirement (his stint in Tennessee was far worse than Turner's in Minnesota).  But he's a good OC in San Diego because he's got the right guys for his system, starting with the QB. 

That is how I view Turner.  He's not going to be able to adjust his scheme to make players fit, but if he's got the right guys, it will be successful.  He's proven that.  And Newton is a good fit as a QB for it.  I expect something schematically similar to what Chud ran here in 2011.  Also, I don't have concerns that Turner will fail us in the run game like Shula consistently did.  Newton has been the only thing keeping our run game afloat for years.  Turner has never had an issue getting production out of his RBs as long as their name isn't Matt Asiata.  

This isn't me saying I agree with the hire.  I'd rather go a different direction.  But I don't think Turner is some awful OC.  He's just someone who needs the right players in place.  It remains to be seen what we do with the wide receiver position and that will shape my expectations for the most part, but I think he's definitely better than Shula.  I don't have faith in Shula to have a quality offense even with the right players with 2015 clearly being a case of Cam Newton just shouldering the load for 16 games.  In 2013, with Newton, Williams, Smith, Olsen, and a solid offensive line (well... from Kalil to the left, anyway), we were still just 18th in points and 26th in yards.  Our ground game has been inexplicably bad under Shula.  

Archived