Playoffs/Offseason Thread

Zithers2

2 hours ago, iknowcool said:

That is how I view Turner.  He's not going to be able to adjust his scheme to make players fit, but if he's got the right guys, it will be successful.  He's proven that.

This in particular is why I wouldn’t want him. I think the hallmark of a good coach is adapting scheme to fit players. It’s easy to call plays and be successful when you have the players to do precisely what you want. But, there will always be injuries, free agents and draft picks don’t pan out, etc. If you can’t adjust to fit your players, you’re going to have problems or you’ll dump good talent simply because they’re not a perfect fit. We got Olsen for a steal for exactly that reason. That is undoubtedly the greatest trade in Panthers history and has to be one of the most ridiculously one-sided deals in NFL history, too. I would trade a 3rd away every year from here to eternity if we got Olsens out of it every time. Hell, I’d probably trade firsts if they all turned out as well as this one did.

1 hour ago, fretgod99 said:

This in particular is why I wouldn’t want him. I think the hallmark of a good coach is adapting scheme to fit players. It’s easy to call plays and be successful when you have the players to do precisely what you want. But, there will always be injuries, free agents and draft picks don’t pan out, etc. If you can’t adjust to fit your players, you’re going to have problems or you’ll dump good talent simply because they’re not a perfect fit. We got Olsen for a steal for exactly that reason. That is undoubtedly the greatest trade in Panthers history and has to be one of the most ridiculously one-sided deals in NFL history, too. I would trade a 3rd away every year from here to eternity if we got Olsens out of it every time. Hell, I’d probably trade firsts if they all turned out as well as this one did.

Big time. We gave away Benjamin for the same and the Bills are definitely on the wrong side of that trade.

You guys think there is a decent shot Wilks stays? He apparently didn't make the cut for a 2nd interview with the Giants. The Lions seem to be in on Matt Patricia. Colts seem to want an offensive guy, and could be waiting for Josh McDaniels. Last HC position as of right now is the Cardinals, who have interviewed Wilks, but also have Pat Shurmu, Swartz of the Eagles, Munchuck and a few other names floating around.

With all this turmoil of the Panthers offseason, not having to replace the DC would be a huge win for us.

I think I would rather lose Wilks, honestly...

Really preferred McDermott's defense. More zone led to more consistent turnovers. Wilks put too much trust in his DBs which is a mistake.

We coulda promoted Eric Washington or brought in Jack Del Rio to go back to basics.

Also, I hope Norv has learned to adapt a little. He would have been a great offensive mind ten or fifteen years ago. He's never had someone with a skillset like Cam. Olsen also isn't particularly similar to Gates. We don't have fast wideouts like VJax or Gordon or Floyd. Perhaps CMC can become Sproles-esque (but with more running). Armah as the new Tolbert.

9 hours ago, Dingo18287 said:

You guys think there is a decent shot Wilks stays? He apparently didn't make the cut for a 2nd interview with the Giants. The Lions seem to be in on Matt Patricia. Colts seem to want an offensive guy, and could be waiting for Josh McDaniels. Last HC position as of right now is the Cardinals, who have interviewed Wilks, but also have Pat Shurmu, Swartz of the Eagles, Munchuck and a few other names floating around.

With all this turmoil of the Panthers offseason, not having to replace the DC would be a huge win for us.

Avoiding turnover is good, but we don’t currently have the DBs to run as much man as we do.

Special Teams Coordinator Thomas McGaughey was fired, and Chase Blackburn was promoted to STC. A little surprised, because it felt like the Special Teams were pretty good this year. Gano lead the league in FG%, Palady seemed pretty good at punting, and we got a couple of touchdowns on returns. I also don't recall giving up a special teams TD either.

Special Teams Coordinator Thomas McGaughey was fired, and Chase Blackburn was promoted to STC. A little surprised, because it felt like the Special Teams were pretty good this year. Gano lead the league in FG%, Palady seemed pretty good at punting, and we got a couple of touchdowns on returns. I also don't recall giving up a special teams TD either.

Yeah, Cardinals poaching LB coach Al Holcomb to be DC. And OL coach Ray Brown to have the same position.

I imagine Sammy Mills becomes the new DL coach. John Matsko could be "demoted" from Run Game Coordinator to OL coach, though I'm not sure there was a big difference between the two. No clue who could become LB coach.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived